Good/Above average
Sheffield
Leicester
Kent
Reading
Keele

Scroll to see replies

Touch grass
I must say that the list is pretty inaccurate.

Overall:
1.ox /cam

big gap

2. lse/ucl/durham (i know some ppl may say bristol or even durham shd not be as strong as lse/ucl, but within the uk, especially the mc firms, durham do take up quite a large amount of places. If you are staying in, lets say china, then londons will give you an advantage instead of the others. )

very slight gap

3.kcl/bristol ( some may say kcl shd be higher than bristol, but bristol actually did better in the local firms compare to kcl and it definitely shades kings in mc firms. As for us firms, kcl will get the upper hand. Kings is a good law school, but it focuses more on research. I will say for law, your background is actually quite vital. From what i know, ppl from bristol are slightly more wealthy and the connection may give them more subtle advantage. But if you are staying in other countries, then kcl may slightly edges bristol)

very slight gap

4. nottingham (it is pretty underrated and in terms of law, it is better than warwick, and I will say in terms of actual significance within the industry, they are actually really strong, and i will say the trainees of it in mc firms are actually on par, or even stronger than kcl. )

gap

5. warwick (overall quite strong, but law is no where near the others)

slight gap

6. manchester (it is quite good, and it got a lot of students so firms do know them well)

You may wanna look at the "law firm prefered uni" found by the chamber students, it may give you an insight into the true picture of law firms. It is not utterly correct, because it only record the numbers of trainees from different school instead of ratio, which means school with less students will be a bit disadvantaged. Therefore, lse and durham will be a bit disadvantaged compare to ucl and kcl. Also, the londons are still very good, but a few students are from oversea and will leave uk, which means their significance may not be as strong as you thought. But overall in UK, ox, cam lse ucl durham bristol kcl nottingham will be the best one, and the gap between them aside from ox/cam and the others are minimal. So long as you got into one of these, you got a shot. ( https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities) 2016
(https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities-2019

I myself come from hong kong, if you are staying in hk, then it goes like this :
1. ox/cam
huge gap
2. lse ucl
very slight gap
3. hku/ kcl
very slight gap
4. durham( compare to hku and londons, there are less alumini, so durham may be a bit disadvantaged, but in international or mc firms, there is no difference)
very slight gap
5. bristol
very slight gap
6. nottingham
slight gap
7. warwick/ cuhk
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mlokhk
I must say that the list is pretty inaccurate.

Overall:
1.ox /cam

big gap

2. lse/ucl/durham (i know some ppl may say bristol or even durham shd not be as strong as lse/ucl, but within the uk, especially the mc firms, durham do take up quite a large amount of places. If you are staying in, lets say china, then londons will give you an advantage instead of the others. )

very slight gap

3.kcl/bristol ( some may say kcl shd be higher than bristol, but bristol actually did better in the local firms compare to kcl and it definitely shades kings in mc firms. As for us firms, kcl will get the upper hand. Kings is a good law school, but it focuses more on research. I will say for law, your background is actually quite vital. From what i know, ppl from bristol are slightly more wealthy and the connection may give them more subtle advantage. But if you are staying in other countries, then kcl may slightly edges bristol)

very slight gap

4. nottingham (it is pretty underrated and in terms of law, it is better than warwick, and I will say in terms of actual significance within the industry, they are actually really strong, and i will say the trainees of it in mc firms are actually on par, or even stronger than kcl. )

gap

5. warwick (overall quite strong, but law is no where near the others)

slight gap

6. manchester (it is quite good, and it got a lot of students so firms do know them well)

You may wanna look at the "law firm prefered uni" found by the chamber students, it may give you an insight into the true picture of law firms. It is not utterly correct, because it only record the numbers of trainees from different school instead of ratio, which means school with less students will be a bit disadvantaged. Therefore, lse and durham will be a bit disadvantaged compare to ucl and kcl. Also, the londons are still very good, but a few students are from oversea and will leave uk, which means their significance may not be as strong as you thought. But overall in UK, ox, cam lse ucl durham bristol kcl nottingham will be the best one, and the gap between them aside from ox/cam and the others are minimal. So long as you got into one of these, you got a shot. ( https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities) 2016
(https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities-2019

I myself come from hong kong, if you are staying in hk, then it goes like this :
1. ox/cam
huge gap
2. lse ucl
very slight gap
3. hku/ kcl
very slight gap
4. durham( compare to hku and londons, there are less alumini, so durham may be a bit disadvantaged, but in international or mc firms, there is no difference)
very slight gap
5. bristol
very slight gap
6. nottingham
slight gap
7. warwick/ cuhk

You are wrong!

For MC and White shoe firms, the top universities are Oxbridge, LSE, KCL and UCL.

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/universities-and-graduate-earnings

SOAS too can make a claim.

You don't know how to make deductions from a study.
I am thinking of putting Royal Holloway down as one of my universities of choice for
I am predicted A* AA in my A Levels. I know my A level predictions meet the criteria and although I am taking the LNAT it is not needed but I just wondered what the university is like in terms of Law and also what others think about the social side of life at the university as Egham and Windsor are the nearest towns. Thanks
Reply 5
bruh one of the reason that durham earn less is because they tend to work more in terms of human rights or other areas which does not earn as much as the others, but it has nothing to with money. If we are using earnings as an indication, then ucl and kcl is better than cambridge which i cannot understand lmao
Reply 6
lse and ucl are indeed great, but i dont think kcl is as good as the others. Earning is not the only thing that define a law school, the teaching quality, the student quality, the solid foundation for students to become an all around person, they are count towards that. I reject kcl for durham, and I will reject it for bristol too as I personally dislike their atmosphere. Btw, i cant see you making a valid judgment as you did not say anything on the evidence that i provided--the simple fact that kcl is outranked by the others in terms of actual significance. But i see why you fell short to make a valid judgment as you use income as the sole measure of law school, I really do feel sad for you if the very last thing that you care about is money. Lastly, I find another source which list the ranking of law graduates earning, where oxford at number 1, cam at number 2, lse at number 3, bristol at number 4, durham at number 5 and kcl/ucl at 8 and 9. You may want to say something about that. https://www.legalcheek.com/2019/11/research-which-uni-law-graduates-earn-the-most/
Reply 7
As for soas, it is good for research and a few areas, but ask any lawyers in UK, no one will say soas is better than durham/bristol/nottingham.

Original post by aughit
lse and ucl are indeed great, but i dont think kcl is as good as the others. Earning is not the only thing that define a law school, the teaching quality, the student quality, the solid foundation for students to become an all around person, they are count towards that. I reject kcl for durham, and I will reject it for bristol too as I personally dislike their atmosphere. Btw, i cant see you making a valid judgment as you did not say anything on the evidence that i provided--the simple fact that kcl is outranked by the others in terms of actual significance. But i see why you fell short to make a valid judgment as you use income as the sole measure of law school, I really do feel sad for you if the very last thing that you care about is money. Lastly, I find another source which list the ranking of law graduates earning, where oxford at number 1, cam at number 2, lse at number 3, bristol at number 4, durham at number 5 and kcl/ucl at 8 and 9. You may want to say something about that. https://www.legalcheek.com/2019/11/research-which-uni-law-graduates-earn-the-most/
Some seriously misconceived ideas here. Cambridge has always been above Oxford for law in university ranking tables for more than a decade (save the most recent Guardian table). Cambridge is and has always been the number one law faculty in the country. Granted, the difference is minimal between the two, but the distinction has always been clear. The latest (2021) government data also suggests that Cambridge law graduates make more than Oxford, LSE and UCL law graduates. (https://www.legalcheek.com/2021/06/cambridge-law-grads-out-earn-those-at-lse-ucl-and-oxford-with-average-salary-of-69400/)

The two were then always followed by Durham, then UCL/LSE. KCL has never been considered to be in that "top 6" in the UK. Top law firms and chambers are dominated by Oxbridge and Durham graduates - and that dominance is also reflected in the Supreme Court (All Supreme Court Justices have went to either one of Cambridge, Oxford or Durham - none went to LSE or UCL).

Those who suggest Bristol/ KCL/ QMUL etc as those in the same group as LSE/UCL and Durham are simply wrong.
Original post by aughit
bruh one of the reason that durham earn less is because they tend to work more in terms of human rights or other areas which does not earn as much as the others, but it has nothing to with money. If we are using earnings as an indication, then ucl and kcl is better than cambridge which i cannot understand lmao

Can you provide proof for this claim?
Original post by RoyalBeams
You are wrong!

For MC and White shoe firms, the top universities are Oxbridge, LSE, KCL and UCL.

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/universities-and-graduate-earnings

SOAS too can make a claim.

You don't know how to make deductions from a study.

With the caveat that the reference you've supplied is over two years old (but I doubt much will have changed tbh)
Original post by aughit

So the excuse of "working in human rights" have disappeared now that you have seen a data that favours the argument you want?
Original post by aughit
As for soas, it is good for research and a few areas, but ask any lawyers in UK, no one will say soas is better than durham/bristol/nottingham.

This is what is called a conjectural and unsubstantiated claim.
Reply 13
Why must we always debate marginal difference between law schools. If you go to Oxbridge/LSE/KCL/UCL/Notts/Durham/Bristol then your university will never be the limiting factor between getting into any firm.
The first and the second lists are both fine. Any of those will do.
This is a similar list based on from where big firms hired in 2019 which will not have changed much https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities-2019
hey lads and lasses, who won this argument bc im applying for law this year and i wanna know where to apply to thanks :smile:
Original post by Aldaker
hey lads and lasses, who won this argument bc im applying for law this year and i wanna know where to apply to thanks :smile:

Looking through the statistics and comments,
Cambridge, Oxford, Durham, LSE and Manchester/Edinburgh

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by aughit

Hmm statistics stated otherwise. Please look at this chart.
Link: https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities
Original post by presentseaweed
Looking through the statistics and comments,
Cambridge, Oxford, Durham, LSE and Manchester/Edinburgh
You can look at the employability rate for each uni here and law firms’ preferred uni here:

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities

This is poor jugdement.

Don't see how you came up with this from the statistics and comments.
Original post by RoyalBeams
This is poor jugdement.

Don't see how you came up with this from the statistics and comments.

My judgment is based on the possibility of what the student is looking for in a law school.

For high employability: Oxford, Cambridge , Durham
For interest in Joint Honours with Law: Manchester
For international recognition: LSE
For pursuing a seat in the political system of the UK: Edinburgh

People are open to make judgements and opinions, I would like to politely ask you to keep your insolent tone and impertinent opinions to yourself if you can’t respect other’s opinions and judgements.

1) Cambridge, Oxford, Durham -> top 3 preferred law schools in law firms https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities

2) LSE : High entry requirements, High International recognition. “LSE Law is very pleased to announce that we have once again been ranked in the top-ten universities worldwide for Law by the highly respected Times Higher Education World University Rankings, alongside other leading institutions in both the UK and USA.”

3) Manchester Uni: great and diverse choices of Joint Honours law degree combinations. There’s Law with Politics, Law with Criminology, Law with International Study. Recognized as one of the top 10 universities to study law in the UK from Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings by subject, 2020.

4) Edinburgh: the President of the Supremes , Lord Reed, studied Law at Edinburgh University. 16th in the QS World University Rankings 2022. 23rd for law in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021. 15th in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University 2021 Rankings for law.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending