The Student Room Group

Integration - working out area between curve and line

I did the first 3 parts (a, b and c); for part c the equation of the line is y=x-4 (this is correct, I have checked with the answers)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Kartheyan
the

Are you sure this shouldn't be in the "1 word story!" thread?

Edited to add - your post changed in front of my eyes while writing this! But you need to try and get your picture pointing in the right direction - it is hard to read sideways.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Pangol
Are you sure this shouldn't be in the "1 word story!" thread?

Edited to add - your post changed in front of my eyes while writing this! But you need to try and get your picture pointing in the right direction - it is hard to read sideways.

done
Reply 3
bump
Reply 4

I did the first 3 parts (a, b and c); for part c the equation of the line is y=x-4 (this is correct, I have checked with the answers)

Try and draw a sketch of the curve, passing through (1, 0) and A. It's not too hard to see that the curve is above the x-axis between these two points. Your curve doesn't even have to be vaguely accurate (just as well as it is not easy to draw), it just has to go through these points and lie above the line AB. If you can do this, the sketch should suggest what you have to do next.
Reply 5
Original post by Pangol
Try and draw a sketch of the curve, passing through (1, 0) and A. It's not too hard to see that the curve is above the x-axis between these two points. Your curve doesn't even have to be vaguely accurate (just as well as it is not easy to draw), it just has to go through these points and lie above the line AB. If you can do this, the sketch should suggest what you have to do next.

I sketched it and then I needed to work out the point of intersections to work out the area, but I'm struggling to solve this equation:

x^(2/3)-2x^(-1/3)+1=x-4
x^(2/3)-2x^(-1/3)-x+5 = 0
Reply 6
I sketched it and then I needed to work out the point of intersections to work out the area, but I'm struggling to solve this equation:

x^(2/3)-2x^(-1/3)+1=x-4
x^(2/3)-2x^(-1/3)-x+5 = 0

But you already know that A is the point of intersection. Am I missing something?
Reply 7
Original post by Pangol
But you already know that A is the point of intersection. Am I missing something?

Oh wait your right. Nvm.
But just out of interest how would you solve that equation?
Reply 8
Oh wait your right. Nvm.
But just out of interest how would you solve that equation?

I'm not sure that I would like to! I think that this is why they have already got you to work out the intersection point before you get to the last part.

Quick Reply

Latest