The Student Room Group

8 A* and 3 A for GCSE 2017 - Any help needed?

Hi, I am currently in Year 12 studying A-Levels, was just wondering if anyone doing their GCSE's next year wanted any revision/study tips?

I did the 9-1 Maths (Edexcel) and English (AQA)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Emily1609
Hi, I am currently in Year 12 studying A-Levels, was just wondering if anyone doing their GCSE's next year wanted any revision/study tips?

I did the 9-1 Maths (Edexcel) and English (AQA)

Im resitting maths to improve my grade (preferably get an A/A*) any tips for maths revision?
Reply 2
Another for maths tips. I can do the sums when I'm with the teacher or book, but find it hard to recall how to when I'm without those two.

I'm taking my GCSE next year. I also got my English last year.
Reply 3
Original post by eudokias
Im resitting maths to improve my grade (preferably get an A/A*) any tips for
maths revision?

Hi
Whilst revising for maths I structured my revision so that firstly I would do a few sample/past papers and then marked it in detail by making a note of specific questions that went wrong. Then I would revise these topics for a few hours and then do more papers.

My main source of revision was using the CGP maths books for the 9-1 papers. If you are taking this paper, I strongly advise you to get the CGP workbook that is specifically aimed at grade 9 questions if you are aiming for A/A* as these are particularly useful in grasping the difficulty of the grade 9 questions towards the end of the exam paper.

A few days before the exam, I would do predicted papers which can be found online anywhere on maths websites, although these may be more easy than the real exam, it gives you a good structure of the exam.

Good luck!
Original post by eudokias
Im resitting maths to improve my grade (preferably get an A/A*) any tips for maths revision?

i do tutoring if u need help pm me
Reply 5
Original post by Purdy7
Another for maths tips. I can do the sums when I'm with the teacher or book, but find it hard to recall how to when I'm without those two.

I'm taking my GCSE next year. I also got my English last year.

Hi
I found it very useful to write flashcards on how to answer specific style questions which helped me memorise the precise steps of answering sums etc..
:smile:
Hi
Whilst revising for maths I structured my revision so that firstly I would do a few sample/past papers and then marked it in detail by making a note of specific questions that went wrong. Then I would revise these topics for a few hours and then do more papers.

My main source of revision was using the CGP maths books for the 9-1 papers. If you are taking this paper, I strongly advise you to get the CGP workbook that is specifically aimed at grade 9 questions if you are aiming for A/A* as these are particularly useful in grasping the difficulty of the grade 9 questions towards the end of the exam paper.

A few days before the exam, I would do predicted papers which can be found online anywhere on maths websites, although these may be more easy than the real exam, it gives you a good structure of the exam.

Good luck!

You revised for maths? Jesus Christ, well done. I just kinda looked at the cgp guide te night before and on the morning of the exam and that was that
Reply 7
Original post by zq01
You revised for maths? Jesus Christ, well done. I just kinda looked at the cgp guide te night before and on the morning of the exam and that was that

:smile:) yep
:smile:) yep

Nice, did ya get a 9?
When would you recommend starting note taking? I’ve already started but dunno how much to do each day. Aiming for 8s&9s in everything
How to achieve highly in English Language and Literature? I struggle with these.
Reply 11
Original post by zq01
Nice, did ya get a 9?

nope, an 8!
Reply 12
Original post by Mitchchambo
When would you recommend starting note taking? I’ve already started but dunno how much to do each day. Aiming for 8s&9s in everything

Personally, I didn't start until February half term and the whole of the Easter holidays because if I took notes too early, I wouldn't remember anything, however you could do maybe an hour for one subject for one day and take it slowly now and then gradually start doing more a week.

If you have mocks in nov/dec, use these results as a guide for how much to revise for each subject. After mocks in February, I would do about 4-5 hours of revision after school and about 6 hours on each weekend.

Good luck!
Reply 13
y e s,, i have no idea what i'm doing how does one even revise english language?
Reply 14
Original post by Nikey
How to achieve highly in English Language and Literature? I struggle with these.

Which exam board are you doing?
If you are doing AQA English language, I had fully memorised the structure of how to answer each question and used the CGP books to practice answering techniques and essay writing for the longer questions. I had also practiced different techniques for writing different essays such as newspaper articles, letters etc... as in the exam you could get any one of these.

For English literature, I made flash cards on the themes, context and characters of each book. For poetry specifically, we were told at school to revise for about only 9 out of the 15 poems as only one would come up which we could use to annotate so we can refer to only the 9 main poems therefore you don't need to revise for too many poems and focus on 9 poems in depth with revision. I strongly advise to memorise ALL relevant context to each poem and book as this will get you the high marks and ALWAYS refer to the writers intention and reader reaction to each point you make. Follow a clear structure this includes all of this as well as short embedded quotations to go alongside your analysis. You should practice doing this and you will be able to achieve highly in English!

Good luck!
Reply 15
Original post by xmari
y e s,, i have no idea what i'm doing how does one even revise english language?

Make flashcards on how to answer each question such as number of paragraphs, quotes etc...

You don't have to do this but I bought the CGP English Language revision guide and workbook where I practiced sample questions and learnt the basic techniques.

Also memorise the structure of specific texts that you may be asked to write such as newspaper, letter formats. For the creative writing essay on the other paper, I memorised a few complex words and metaphors etc that I could include in my writing and remember structure of writing is just as important!
If you are doing AQA English language, I had fully memorised the structure of how to answer each question and used the CGP books to practice answering techniques and essay writing for the longer questions. I had also practiced different techniques for writing different essays such as newspaper articles, letters etc... as in the exam you could get any one of these.

For English literature, I made flash cards on the themes, context and characters of each book. For poetry specifically, we were told at school to revise for about only 9 out of the 15 poems as only one would come up which we could use to annotate so we can refer to only the 9 main poems therefore you don't need to revise for too many poems and focus on 9 poems in depth with revision. I strongly advise to memorise ALL relevant context to each poem and book as this will get you the high marks and ALWAYS refer to the writers intention and reader reaction to each point you make. Follow a clear structure this includes all of this as well as short embedded quotations to go alongside your analysis. You should practice doing this and you will be able to achieve highly in English!

Good luck!

Yeah I'm on AQA. Thank you!
Reply 17
Original post by Nikey
Yeah I'm on AQA. Thank you!

No problem!

Also be weary of time during the exam, in the English Literature Paper 2 exam which was 2 hours and 15 (approx), many people had run out of time because of the amount of questions in the paper, so set yourself a strict time plan and move on once it passes!!

Good luck!

Omg this is genuinely the keenest thing I’ve seen in my life, English doesn’t require THAT much revision.
(edited 6 years ago)
From someone who got a 9 last year and didn't revise, I'd say he is so extra. If you wanna do well or just aren't naturally good at it and wanna pass, link 5 poems to the rest of the poems so that if any come up, you're sorted. You need to always talk about WHY the author did this, why this word choice, what does it do, how does it link to the greater context of the time (if you can) etc.

Quick Reply

Latest