The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Chemistry question - equilibrium (anyone can help!)

Hi
I am stuck on this question (I know b and have an answer for c (I got 6.63 but I have no idea if this is right)
I am not sure what part a is asking of me? It just sounds like it wants me to write formula Kw=[H+][OH-] but that surely can't be right? I will try attach the photo as a response to this :smile: Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by Puppo
Hi
I am stuck on this question (I know b and have an answer for c (I got 6.63 but I have no idea if this is right)
I am not sure what part a is asking of me? It just sounds like it wants me to write formula Kw=[H+][OH-] but that surely can't be right? I will try attach the photo as a response to this :smile: Thank you!

Here is the question (there is no marking scheme online btw)
Look at the marking, it's 1 mark, all they want is the correct expression
Reply 3
Original post by iElvendork
Look at the marking, it's 1 mark, all they want is the correct expression

so I was right to put just the formula? I was confused as I've never had a question ask me for a formula that's in the data booklet haha. Thank you for helping me out!
Original post by Puppo
Hi

You have deduced a) correctly.

You have the correct answer for c). The key is realising that for pure water [H+] = [OH-] and therefore Kw = [H+]^2 (For pure water only)
I think you must have realised this judging by your correct answer.
Reply 5
Original post by TutorsChemistry
You have deduced a) correctly.

You have the correct answer for c). The key is realising that for pure water [H+] = [OH-] and therefore Kw = [H+]^2 (For pure water only)
I think you must have realised this judging by your correct answer.

Thank you, it makes much more sense!

Quick Reply

Latest