The Student Room Group

Are my grades good enough for engineering

Was wondering what university I could get into with my grades (Higher) and what a conditional offer would look like

Physics A
Math B
Biology A
Chemistry B
English B

I am taking Advanced
Chemistry
Physics
Math
For s6
Original post by samsharp3
Was wondering what university I could get into with my grades (Higher) and what a conditional offer would look like

Physics A
Math B
Biology A
Chemistry B
English B

I am taking Advanced
Chemistry
Physics
Math
For s6

Expectations in terms of subjects and grades will vary by uni (and by the specific engineering course in many cases).

Students can apply for "Engineering" at University of Edinburgh and defer the decision as to which specific Engineering course they're interest in (e.g. Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, etc.) until the start of the second semester. For this course they request: "SQA Highers: AAAA (achievement by end of S5 preferred). BBB must be achieved in one year of S4-S6." (source)

University of Strathclyde don't offer that same flexibility (in terms of delaying the decision); for their Mechanical Engineering degree they say, "Highers: Standard entry requirements*: AAAB (Maths A, Physics A)" and "Advanced Highers: Maths and Physics recommended" (source)

If you wanted to study Mechanical Engineering at Heriot Watt University, they would ask for "Scottish Highers of AABB (including mathematics and physics with one at A)." (source)

I suggest you visit the web sites of some universities you might be interested in and see what engineering courses they offer, and what the entry requirements are.
do u qualify for adjusted grade requirements?
Reply 3
Original post by iLovRefrigerator
do u qualify for adjusted grade requirement

No i dont think so

No i dont think so

Physics A
Math B
Biology A
Chemistry B
English B

I am taking Advanced
Chemistry
Physics
Math
For s6

What type of engineering are you thinking of?
Reply 5
Original post by cantdomathlikefr
What type of engineering are you thinking of?

Chemical
Mechanical
Areonautical
Chemical
Mechanical
Areonautical

AH maths is extremly important for engineering in general.
i would then add AH physics with that and if your going into chemical do chemistry as well
so you have a good range of AHs, I did maths physics and mechanics which sort of gave me the edge above people because mechanics is very usefull for engineering

I would recommend fix your maths and "perfect your craft" and aim for an A as much as your can then focus on the physics, this will be your first year for the projects so it will give you a taster of a fraction of what youll do at uni
Reply 7
Original post by cantdomathlikefr
AH maths is extremly important for engineering in general.
i would then add AH physics with that and if your going into chemical do chemistry as well
so you have a good range of AHs, I did maths physics and mechanics which sort of gave me the edge above people because mechanics is very usefull for engineering

I would recommend fix your maths and "perfect your craft" and aim for an A as much as your can then focus on the physics, this will be your first year for the projects so it will give you a taster of a fraction of what youll do at uni

Thanks for the response do you have any good tips to get a high mark in advanced higher math
Reply 8
I am just about to start my second year of Mechanical Engineering at Strathclyde uni. I got an A at Higher maths, but flunked the AH with an embarrassing C :frown: (I didn't study enough because I had an unconditional offer based on my Highers).
First year uni maths is still challenging but glad I did the AH as a lot is a repeat of that.

If you don't make the grades you need for Maths you could apply for the engineering academy - it looks really good and I had it as an insurance in case I didn't get other offers. You do a year at a college and if you pass you get guaranteed entry to 2nd year engineering at Strathclyde, you can also, if you do well enough in 2nd/3rd year, go into the MEng. If you go onto Unibuddy you can chat with someone who went through the Engineering Academy route. I spoke to someone last year and they really rated it as good preparation and were very helpful answering all my questions.

https://www.strath.ac.uk/engineering/studywithus/engineeringacademy/
Thanks for the response do you have any good tips to get a high mark in advanced higher math

Understand what you are doing go through the questions slowly at the beggining, dont just continoulsly do questions without understanding how to get to the end goal of the question (answer)
so do not rote learn AH maths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending