The Student Room Group

harvard referencing

I'm doing a project and they need me to Harvard reference everything. the teachers in charge of this projects are a bit useless...only thing they're good at is scaring us with deadlines smh.

so I know Harvard referencing is something on the lines of author-date-title-page used-link and it varies depending on which website you look at.
the problem is they told me to use an app called CITEME ''which can be found on android and Apple Store''. no it can't. so I had to use websites from google. so if you know the most common way to Harvard ref tell me thanks.

second problem is I don't know where to put it. at the end of every relevant paragraphs or at the end of the whole project?
Reply 1
You need to use in text citation for referencing and a list at the end.

University should have a referencing handbook. On my university library, there are examples of how to do this.

We lose 10% for referencing.
Reply 2
Original post by Ishax
You need to use in text citation for referencing and a list at the end.

University should have a referencing handbook. On my university library, there are examples of how to do this.

We lose 10% for referencing.

o sorry I'm not at university level, I'm doing my a level project. so I'm not sure what you mean still, can you elaborate?
There's a referencing tool in Word which will do it for you. Put the reference in the text at the end of the sentence to which it applies. Then, insert a reference list at the end of the document, Word will sort this for you.

Look up how to use the Word referencing tools.
Reference page at the end of your work.

I usually use citethemrightonline.com or citethisforme.com
Harvard is a way of referencing, you select on word references then around the middle there will be a box called select on the toolbar. Change that to Harvard. When you are referencing you will need to create an in text citation, this can be anywhere in a sentence that you are referring to a source, to create one of these click insert citation on the toolbar, you will then need to select the type of source and insert all relevant info on the box that appears. My uni provided this site http://www.citethemrightonline.com/ which gives a guide on what is required for each source type.

When you complete it, you will just get a very short entry with the authors surname and date, this is the in text citation, as well at the end you will have a bibliography with the info of all the sources you have used in your report etc. When you have completed your report with all sources entered, click on the toolbar bibliography and then select one of the options and it will automatically create it at the end.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Then it may be bit different for you then. Erm, does your teacher not give you any resources on how to do Harvard referencing?

Try googling it with some uni names, the guide should come up. They’re really helpful and clear.
Reply 7
Original post by Ishax
Then it may be bit different for you then. Erm, does your teacher not give you any resources on how to do Harvard referencing?

Try googling it with some uni names, the guide should come up. They’re really helpful and clear.

absolutely no help, they tell me ''download citeme, it's a miracle it'll do it for you blah blah'' then I look it up on my phone and nothing comes up...but thanks anyway
use Neil’s toolbox, it’s what i always use for harvard referencing, just search it up on google and it’s the first one.
Reply 9
Original post by Vikingninja
Harvard is a way of referencing, you select on word references then around the middle there will be a box called select on the toolbar. Change that to Harvard. When you are referencing you will need to create an in text citation, this can be anywhere in a sentence that you are referring to a source, to create one of these click insert citation on the toolbar, you will then need to select the type of source and insert all relevant info on the box that appears. My uni provided this site http://www.citethemrightonline.com/ which gives a guide on what is required for each source type.

When you complete it, you will just get a very short entry with the authors surname and date, this is the in text citation, as well at the end you will have a bibliography with the info of all the sources you have used in your report etc. When you have completed your report with all sources entered, click on the toolbar bibliography and then select one of the options and it will automatically create it at the end.

so basically if I copy something from a source, I incite it? like (author-year) then at the end of the project I Harvard reference so like author-date-publisher-title?
If you use anything from another source you need to cite it whether its a diagram, idea or general info, when you click insert citation it creates an in text citation but all the info that is being entered is for the bibliography at the end. In text citations are only author and year but there can be a lot of stuff in the bibliography entry depending on the source type. I know that websites you have to also enter the last time it was edited and the date you accessed it, journals need volume and issue as well with page entry. That site I gave gives whatever you need to enter.

Quick Reply

Latest