The Student Room Group

Coding Advice Needed!

I would like to know which coding platform to start with as a complete beginner. I have always wanted to learn how to code as it is such an amazing skill to have and sounds like an interesting new activity!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by lalaland808
I would like to know which coding platform to start with as a complete beginner.

I started with Java but I’ve heard Python is a lot easier so would be better off starting with Python.
Original post by Kevin Hodge
I started with Java but I’ve heard Python is a lot easier so would be better off starting with Python.

What about C# or C++?
What about C# or C++?

I’ve not used either so can’t comment. The best thing to do would be to have a look at online tutorials on things like YouTube.
What about C# or C++?

So I think your enthusiasm is great but bear in mind even those of us who love coding and have studied it at university and have done it professionally find it frustrating and challenging at the best of times. The reason so many cool well paid jobs exist for programmers/software engineers is because it isn't easy.

Java is the lingua franca in university courses, so if you want to study CS or Software Engineering at uni, you will for sure encounter that.

Python, as the other poster suggested, is an easy language to learn relative to Java as the syntax is usually more readable. C# is a good language too, but it similar enough to Java and isn't as beginner friendly as other languages like Python.

C and C++ are incredible languages and they are the building blocks of much of what we use today, and are still used all the time in modern Computing. Personally, I think everyone serious about programming should learn C/C++ as their main language(s) but it seems as though right now you are just exploring coding, so possible hold off on that.

I am guessing that because you asked about C# and C++ you may be interested in programming games at some point? As they are the main languages used in most video games usually.
use python and go on this website called codeacademy, it’s free and really good, but if you wanna learn more advanced stuff in python then get a textbook
Personally, I recommend Java to start. It isn't as easy as python but teaches so much more. If it becomes too difficult do python for a while. This will reinforce what you've learnt in Java, get you comfortable with using programming tools in different languages and, when things are really tough in Java, show you that you have learnt more than you may have thought.

Ultimately the language isn't all that important. What you want to learn are the tools that programming gives you and how they can be used to solve problems. I think that Java is a really good balance between being easy to use and introducing lots of the best tools.
(edited 6 years ago)
I would start with Python, because it's an easy introduction to the basics of programming, and the general way of laying things out, then move onto Java or C.

From there other programming languages like C++/C# will be easy to pick up

Also Scratch is fun!
Thank you everyone for giving me excellent advice!
Original post by jestersnow
So I think your enthusiasm is great but bear in mind even those of us who love coding and have studied it at university and have done it professionally find it frustrating and challenging at the best of times. The reason so many cool well paid jobs exist for programmers/software engineers is because it isn't easy.

Java is the lingua franca in university courses, so if you want to study CS or Software Engineering at uni, you will for sure encounter that.

Python, as the other poster suggested, is an easy language to learn relative to Java as the syntax is usually more readable. C# is a good language too, but it similar enough to Java and isn't as beginner friendly as other languages like Python.

C and C++ are incredible languages and they are the building blocks of much of what we use today, and are still used all the time in modern Computing. Personally, I think everyone serious about programming should learn C/C++ as their main language(s) but it seems as though right now you are just exploring coding, so possible hold off on that.

I am guessing that because you asked about C# and C++ you may be interested in programming games at some point? As they are the main languages used in most video games usually.

I did a Biological degree which had no need for coding. I just wanted to learn coding as it is a useful life skill and I'm on my gap year while applying for medicine. I'll start with Python and see how it goes!
I did a Biological degree which had no need for coding. I just wanted to learn coding as it is a useful life skill and I'm on my gap year while applying for medicine. I'll start with Python and see how it goes!

Well thats interesting. You could do some machine learning for biology or medicine, and Python is the language for ML (it has the best libraries written for ML). Defintely python would be the way to go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending