The Student Room Group

Internship / apprentice it student

Hello everyone, I'm Peter its hard to call me a regular student I'm 34 and in my second year of doing Computer Science Degree currently working as a HGV driver for past 6 years I have plenty of experience from management positions in retail to construction, I decided last year that I still have some juice to push my self to change my career path, I applied for tens of apprentice positions from front end development to software engineer positions I got 2 responses with coding interviews and I want to be perfectly honest those coding questions seems to be very high level for an apprentice positions.

My question to you guys is my age a problem for employers in IT field, or is it really that difficult to get an apprentice position do you need to have a high level of programming skills to be able to get in ?

My goal is to work as full front end dev with progression to full stack or software engineer but I hardly see this happening if I can't even secure an apprentice over the summer.

Anyone can give me some advice?
What am I doing wrong ?
Original post by PeterT89
Hello everyone, I'm Peter its hard to call me a regular student I'm 34 and in my second year of doing Computer Science Degree currently working as a HGV driver for past 6 years I have plenty of experience from management positions in retail to construction, I decided last year that I still have some juice to push my self to change my career path, I applied for tens of apprentice positions from front end development to software engineer positions I got 2 responses with coding interviews and I want to be perfectly honest those coding questions seems to be very high level for an apprentice positions.

My question to you guys is my age a problem for employers in IT field, or is it really that difficult to get an apprentice position do you need to have a high level of programming skills to be able to get in ?

My goal is to work as full front end dev with progression to full stack or software engineer but I hardly see this happening if I can't even secure an apprentice over the summer.

Anyone can give me some advice?
What am I doing wrong ?

Hey Peter, You need to get out of that mindset, age is only a factor if YOU think it is. Don't let anyone hold you back from your aspirations, the only obstacle will be yourself.
You may want to know many people from 30-50 are doing apprenticeships.

Don't be disheartened, apprenticeships are highly competitive, keep applying, you are not alone in this regard.

You will need to do something that makes you stand out, have you done a project, a course? something to show you are passionate about your field? Learn from those experiences that take you that far, what could you have done differently? Ace the coding part when you get there again, because you will.

All the best for the future.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending