The Student Room Group

Programmer working at home

As a home based programmer, do you ever have to talk to people? I would prefer to work alone at home and just wondered what this type of job entails from experienced professionals/those just starting out? Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by mechanical-twitc
As a home based programmer, do you ever have to talk to people? I would prefer to work alone at home and just wondered what this type of job entails from experienced professionals/those just starting out? Thank you.

I am sure there are some people who crack on with the job and don't talk to anyone but towards the end of my career in software development, those people were becoming fewer and far between. As software becomes more complicated, the need to work in teams is far greater. Talking to other people is a life skill. Sure, some don't enjoy it but that doesn't mean it isn't an important skill one shouldn't spend time mastering.
Original post by hotpud
I am sure there are some people who crack on with the job and don't talk to anyone but towards the end of my career in software development, those people were becoming fewer and far between. As software becomes more complicated, the need to work in teams is far greater. Talking to other people is a life skill. Sure, some don't enjoy it but that doesn't mean it isn't an important skill one shouldn't spend time mastering.

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. I have thought a couple of questions to ask:

How will I know if I will ever be good at this job in reality? What advice would you give to a junior starter or someone interested in the field?
Reply 3
Original post by mechanical-twitc
Hi,
Many thanks for your reply. I have thought a couple of questions to ask:
How will I know if I will ever be good at this job in reality? What advice would you give to a junior starter or someone interested in the field?

You'll be good at the job if you are good at coding. But that is only one of the skills required. You need to be able to communicate your ideas effectively, manage expectations, work to deadlines etc etc. It comes with experience but up front you need to hone the skills required for the job e.g. coding.

Good luck!
Original post by hotpud
You'll be good at the job if you are good at coding. But that is only one of the skills required. You need to be able to communicate your ideas effectively, manage expectations, work to deadlines etc etc. It comes with experience but up front you need to hone the skills required for the job e.g. coding.
Good luck!

Are there any resources/courses that you could recommend?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending