The Student Room Group

How do you learn python at a gcse level?

I literally have no clue what I'm doing in python and i need to learn it for school, please help 😅
Original post by doorhandle86
I literally have no clue what I'm doing in python and i need to learn it for school, please help 😅

There are a bunch of Python for Beginners videos on YouTube. Have you tried any of those?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
There are a bunch of Python for Beginners videos on YouTube. Have you tried any of those?

Yes ive seen like python chuck and stuff but im not sure what im exactly supposed to learn, i did a mock yesterday on paper 2 computer science and we had to spend 2 hours solving 7 coding problems and fixing syntax errors , which i barely knew anything about. I dont want to like devote my time solely to learning python because i have so many subjects to study and i dont know how to balance that with learning a coding language
Reply 3

there are python courses on w3schools if that helps
Yes ive seen like python chuck and stuff but im not sure what im exactly supposed to learn, i did a mock yesterday on paper 2 computer science and we had to spend 2 hours solving 7 coding problems and fixing syntax errors , which i barely knew anything about. I dont want to like devote my time solely to learning python because i have so many subjects to study and i dont know how to balance that with learning a coding language

If you're "not sure what im exactly supposed to learn", you should check the specification which you can access on your exam board's web site. For example, the OCR specification for GCSE Computer Science is here. Which exam board are you using for Computer Science?

Deciding how much time to spend on each GCSE subject is a challenge that all students face, unfortunately.
Codecademy.

Hey, have you tried learning it through youtube?
Reply 7

You need to learn how to solve problems using code. So you need to learn to code. There are different ways you can do this. You can do the tutorials, copying examples and running them to see what they do.

But for me coding is about being curious. What happens if you change this about the code or change the order of the lines run?

Also it is about pattern recognition. All while or for loops or functions or variable declarations use the same pattern.

Ultimately though you have to do it. You can't learn to code from a book just like you can't drive after reading a book.

Good luck

Hi @doorhandle86, I did GCSE and A-level computer science so I too had to learn how to code in python.

Here are some resources I found helpful:
Learn Python - Free Interactive Python Tutorial
Python Exercises (w3schools.com)

The best advice is to just practice - the more you practice, the more you'll learn and understand

Here is a link of program examples and the code to produce the desired outcome - you can pick a program and try it yourself or use their code as a starting point
Python Examples | Programiz

Hope these help, Ella (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 9
Original post by DataVenia
If you're "not sure what im exactly supposed to learn", you should check the specification which you can access on your exam board's web site. For example, the OCR specification for GCSE Computer Science is here. Which exam board are you using for Computer Science?

Deciding how much time to spend on each GCSE subject is a challenge that all students face, unfortunately.

the specification is really helpful thank you for putting it on here!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending