The Student Room Group

A level maths with further maths?

I recently saw the new "maths with further maths" a level course from aqa (i don't know if other boards do it) and was wondering whether it would be worth taking? Apparently you end up getting both a level qualifications in one class or something. Does anyone know anything about this? (I've already looked at the specification and stuff)

I was also wondering whether I'd be able to cope with doing maths?? I have fairly good organisation, and I'm in set one, so this might just be me having a lot of self doubt..

But yeah?
Reply 1
Original post by hq404
I recently saw the new "maths with further maths" a level course from aqa (i don't know if other boards do it) and was wondering whether it would be worth taking? Apparently you end up getting both a level qualifications in one class or something. Does anyone know anything about this? (I've already looked at the specification and stuff)

I was also wondering whether I'd be able to cope with doing maths?? I have fairly good organisation, and I'm in set one, so this might just be me having a lot of self doubt..

But yeah?

I would recommend only doing maths and further maths if you really enjoy maths, and are willing to to dedicate half (or more than half) of your college work time doing maths. Ability wise you have to be both naturally good at maths and hardworking, GCSE maths should be very easy for you, since the alevel is a big step up. There's also a massive knowledge and skill gap between people who do maths and maths and further maths, so if you're not that confident I would probably just do maths. Good luck!
Original post by hq404

But yeah?

All 3 A level examiners in England offer both maths and further maths. If you choose this option you will usually be doing 4 A levels with extra classes for maths meaning you have few free periods and will have additional homework demands. It is "worth" doing if you want to study a university course that requires or recommends it (e.g. maths, physics, engineering, economics).
As said above if you are predicted an 8/9 GCSE result and are finding it straightforward to achieve that then you should have the aptitude to cope with further maths. If you find learning the new harder topics in year 11 to be quite challenging then I'd be tempted to think twice about it. Ask your maths teacher who knows what you are capable of for their advice.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by bzm1999
I would recommend only doing maths and further maths if you really enjoy maths, and are willing to to dedicate half (or more than half) of your college work time doing maths. Ability wise you have to be both naturally good at maths and hardworking, GCSE maths should be very easy for you, since the alevel is a big step up. There's also a massive knowledge and skill gap between people who do maths and maths and further maths, so if you're not that confident I would probably just do maths. Good luck!

thanks for your reply! i wasn't really thinking of doing further maths, i just noticed a course that appears to be a mix of both maths and further maths and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it? you can see it on esher's website here:

https://www.esher.ac.uk/our-courses/a-levels-h-z/Pages/maths-with-further-maths.aspx

thanks again :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by hq404
thanks for your reply! i wasn't really thinking of doing further maths, i just noticed a course that appears to be a mix of both maths and further maths and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it? you can see it on esher's website here:

https://www.esher.ac.uk/our-courses/a-levels-h-z/Pages/maths-with-further-maths.aspx

thanks again :smile:

Ah ok sorry about that. I haven't heard about this course so probably cant give you the best advice. Good Luck!
Reply 5
Original post by bzm1999
Ah ok sorry about that. I haven't heard about this course so probably cant give you the best advice. Good Luck!

no problem! thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest