The Student Room Group

for aqa chemistry do you need to memorize all the shapes of the molecules?

obviously you may need to know all the basic ones like linear but what about things like trigonal pyramidal or trigonal planar. there's so many
anyone
Reply 2
Original post by jonjoshelvey21
anyone

look at the specification, I know for Edexcel we need to know them and tbh its not that much effort
It seems like a lot at the start but you use it so much that it gets lodged p deep in there.
Original post by bruh2132
look at the specification, I know for Edexcel we need to know them and tbh its not that much effort

I have already for aqa it doesn't say. roughly how many are there to remember for edexcel?
You most probably do, this is a foundation for chemistry and without it you wont be able to tackle the harder parts of chemistry. I was a bit like you and couldn't be bothered to learn it. However, just sit down and take 30 minutes to remember it. It's really not that difficult and when you just sit down and learn it you'll realise it's fairly simple as it's very logical in nature.
not sure for AQA, but I'm on OCR and we do- to be honest, it's not that much work, our teacher is constantly testing us on them so we know them early on.
Reply 7
Original post by jonjoshelvey21
I have already for aqa it doesn't say. roughly how many are there to remember for edexcel?

11. understand reasons for the shapes of, and bond angles in, simple molecules and ions with up to six outer pairs of electrons (any combination of bonding pairs and lone pairs) Examples should include BeCl2, BCl3, CH4, NH3, NH4 +, H2O, CO2, PCl5(g) and SF6(g) and related molecules and ions; as well as simple organic molecules in this specification.

straight from the spec

also:
12. be able to predict the shapes of, and bond angles in, simple molecules and ions analogous to those specified above using electron-pair repulsion theory
Original post by bruh2132
11. understand reasons for the shapes of, and bond angles in, simple molecules and ions with up to six outer pairs of electrons (any combination of bonding pairs and lone pairs) Examples should include BeCl2, BCl3, CH4, NH3, NH4 +, H2O, CO2, PCl5(g) and SF6(g) and related molecules and ions; as well as simple organic molecules in this specification.

straight from the spec

also:
12. be able to predict the shapes of, and bond angles in, simple molecules and ions analogous to those specified above using electron-pair repulsion theory

cheers I was looking in the wrong section thank you
it seems impossible tbh. so many different names and diagrams just ridiculous to learn them all. u sure u have to learn them up to 6 pairs for aqa

Quick Reply

Latest