The Student Room Group

Work Experience

My son is in year 11 and has been advised by his teacher to get some work experience on his own as it is difficult for school to find work experience related to medicine. I was wondering if I can get him two weeks at GP Surgery , how many hours a day I should ask for? I am planning to get it for him at the start of summer holidays so I need to ask my GP well in advance.
Thanks.
Original post by ZeeVee1
My son is in year 11 and has been advised by his teacher to get some work experience on his own as it is difficult for school to find work experience related to medicine. I was wondering if I can get him two weeks at GP Surgery , how many hours a day I should ask for? I am planning to get it for him at the start of summer holidays so I need to ask my GP well in advance.
Thanks.

Bear in mind gp surgeries are inundated with requests for work experience so just take anything that may be offered. Try also care homes. They always like youngsters coming in and reading or talking to the residents. It may turn into a summer job if he is lucky.
Reply 2
you should ideally get your son to do this himself

it shows initiative
Reply 3
Thanks everyone.
Just asking about amount hours with GP because my neighbour is a GP and I guess if I ask him he will be able to sort it out.
And I will ask my son to go and talk to him for sure. Was not sure about how many hours a day it should be. Like full days of work like a job or just a few hours a day for couple of week.
Thanks.
ask your neighbour if your son could observe for a few days then.
Reply 5
How ever many hours he feels comfortable working. It should start from at least 4 hours a day, I'd say. This way he can see how the whole day works. It's good to check with the GP too to see what they recommend.

Hope this helps!
Pix
Reply 6
Original post by Pixie_Me
How ever many hours he feels comfortable working. It should start from at least 4 hours a day, I'd say. This way he can see how the whole day works. It's good to check with the GP too to see what they recommend.

Hope this helps!
Pix

Thanks. One thing more, is he going to get any kind of acknowledgment to prove he has done work experience. Should he ask for one?
Original post by ZeeVee1
Thanks. One thing more, is he going to get any kind of acknowledgment to prove he has done work experience. Should he ask for one?

Normally you can get a reference from your work experience. You could ask your neighbour if he would be willing to write a letter reporting on what your son did and how well he worked.
Original post by ZeeVee1
Thanks everyone.
Just asking about amount hours with GP because my neighbour is a GP and I guess if I ask him he will be able to sort it out.
And I will ask my son to go and talk to him for sure. Was not sure about how many hours a day it should be. Like full days of work like a job or just a few hours a day for couple of week.
Thanks.

A week would be good. Definitely not more than 2 weeks.
Depends on what the GP can accomodate. It could be 9 -3.30 or half a day or even 9-5 or any time. This is something you can discuss with the GP.
Don't get fixated on the number of hours as it's more what you observe and understand than how long.
Reply 9
Thanks guys
Original post by ZeeVee1

He can ask for it once his work experience has been done. It will be a little letter just saying what he did.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending