The Student Room Group

Politics or Psychology A-level?

I'm about to choose A-levels and have decided on Maths and Economics, but i'm not sure for my 3rd option if I should pick Politics or Psychology. I'm not sure what I will study at uni yet, but I know I want to go into Aviation afterwards and I don't want to get a degree in anything Aviation related in case I later have to get a job in something non-aviation related. Can anyone give advice on which of the 2 a-levels to choose.
:smile: Thanks
Psychology would work more with what you want to do at the moment as it is more math based than politics. But if you really want to study politics then go for it! A lot of people in my class do more math based subjects along with politics so it's really your decision :smile:
I do psychology (I'm in year 13) and it's a great subject but a lot of work! On edexcel we cover (at AS):

>10 key studies in great depth (aim, procedure, results, conclusion, evaluation) this is detail like exact participant numbers and specific practical details
>About 15 key theories in detail (key terms, key concepts, evaluation and application)
>4 key questions (usually includes application of all relevant theories)
>4 key practicals (aim, procedure, results analysis, conclusion, evaluation)
>A bunch of extra studies in less detail
>Crap ton of research methods and evaluation of all of them
>A bit of maths and stats

So yeah it's quite a lot to memorise and revise but it is really interesting!
Reply 3
Original post by blurryleo
Psychology would work more with what you want to do at the moment as it is more math based than politics. But if you really want to study politics then go for it! A lot of people in my class do more math based subjects along with politics so it's really your decision :smile:

Thank you for the help. Appreciated.
Reply 4
Original post by yeahthatonethere
I do psychology (I'm in year 13) and it's a great subject but a lot of work! On edexcel we cover (at AS):

>10 key studies in great depth (aim, procedure, results, conclusion, evaluation) this is detail like exact participant numbers and specific practical details
>About 15 key theories in detail (key terms, key concepts, evaluation and application)
>4 key questions (usually includes application of all relevant theories)
>4 key practicals (aim, procedure, results analysis, conclusion, evaluation)
>A bunch of extra studies in less detail
>Crap ton of research methods and evaluation of all of them
>A bit of maths and stats

So yeah it's quite a lot to memorise and revise but it is really interesting!

Sounds very interesting. Only thing that puts me off is the amount of work and specific terminology in the course. Anyway thank you.
Original post by Netanel
I'm about to choose A-levels and have decided on Maths and Economics, but i'm not sure for my 3rd option if I should pick Politics or Psychology. I'm not sure what I will study at uni yet, but I know I want to go into Aviation afterwards and I don't want to get a degree in anything Aviation related in case I later have to get a job in something non-aviation related. Can anyone give advice on which of the 2 a-levels to choose.
:smile: Thanks

I find Politics a very interesting subject, and I basically had little to no knowledge beforehand. It may link quite nicely to Economics too.
Reply 6
Original post by Fonzworth
I find Politics a very interesting subject, and I basically had little to no knowledge beforehand. It may link quite nicely to Economics too.

Yeah, people have also told me that before. Thank you
I’m in year 13 and am currently doing both. I would say both are very interesting so you won’t make a wrong choice. However I would say it depends on whether you would prefer having another more maths/science related subject or having an essay writing subject.
Reply 8
Original post by Tasha Black
I’m in year 13 and am currently doing both. I would say both are very interesting so you won’t make a wrong choice. However I would say it depends on whether you would prefer having another more maths/science related subject or having an essay writing subject.

Not an essay writing subject, essays take me hours. I think I'll pick Politics. Thanks for the help
Reply 9
I do maths, econ and psych. pick psych, politics is trash.
Original post by jenbal45
Not an essay writing subject, essays take me hours. I think I'll pick Politics. Thanks for the help

Politics is an essay writing subject though?

Latest