The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

will my gcse results or a level subjects hinder my admission to a top uni?

i go to a pretty well known and respected grammar school, but due to (probably undiagnosed adhd) and other mental health issues (that were/are not diagnosed so cannot be recognised by the school) i performed quite poorly on my gcses. i got 9876665554. i hope to study some sort of social psychology or politics at university and am currently studying politics, english lit and psychology a level. i am also doing an epq which is psychology related. (i got my 9 and 8 in english language and lit, and my 7 in psychology - two marks off an 8). my hope is to achieve admission into UCL and study educational psychology there, but i have two worries. one is that my subject choices are not 'stem-related' enough for this course (and if not, it is not the choice for me as i am rather stem averse) and secondly that my gcse results will hinder my application. as a grammar school student, with parents with high expectations, i will be absolutely devastated if i dont get into a top university, at least a russel group or something else like bath which is still one of the best in the country. is there any way i can help my chances of getting into such a university or am i doomed from my gcse choices? additionally, with essay subjects being my strong suit, should i opt for a psychology course or go more in the direction of politics? thank you! :smile:
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by study_dlophin123
i go to a pretty well known and respected grammar school, but due to (probably undiagnosed adhd) and other mental health issues (that were/are not diagnosed so cannot be recognised by the school) i performed quite poorly on my gcses. i got 9876665554. i hope to study some sort of social psychology or politics at university and am currently studying politics, english lit and psychology a level. i am also doing an epq which is psychology related. (i got my 9 and 8 in english language and lit, and my 7 in psychology - two marks off an 8). my hope is to achieve admission into UCL and study educational psychology there, but i have two worries. one is that my subject choices are not 'stem-related' enough for this course (and if not, it is not the choice for me as i am rather stem averse) and secondly that my gcse results will hinder my application. as a grammar school student, with parents with high expectations, i will be absolutely devastated if i dont get into a top university, at least a russel group or something else like bath which is still one of the best in the country. is there any way i can help my chances of getting into such a university or am i doomed from my gcse choices? additionally, with essay subjects being my strong suit, should i opt for a psychology course or go more in the direction of politics? thank you! :smile:

The fact that you say you are "rather stem averse" isn't ideal for Psychology. Psychology is a science, after all. Studying it at uni will involve a lot of stats and a certain amount of biology.

Have you read through the course content on the UCL web site to see what you'd actually be studying?

Edited to add that it's probably worth reading this thread which talks about science and Psychology at UCL.
(edited 5 months ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending