The Student Room Group

Israel moves forward with gradual annexation of West Bank

It still baffles me how people can defend israeli practices and not ethnic cleansing and theft, especially when Leiberman expressly says it is.

The White House has yet to unveil the president’s plan for Israeli-Palestinian peace, but President Donald Trump has already made clear that it includes recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and ignores the historic Muslim-Arab-Palestinian affinity for the city. To clear any doubt on the matter, Trump announced Jan. 25 at the World Economic Forum in Davos that his recent recognition of Jerusalem as the Israeli capital, and his intention to relocate the US Embassy to the city, preclude any negotiation over the city’s future. Trump also declared that “Israel does want to make peace,” whereas the Palestinians “are going to have to want to make peace” or else “we’re going to have nothing to do with it any longer.” Trump seems to have forgotten that because he took the explosive issue of Jerusalem off the table, without leaving any options for the Palestinians, they have already announced that they want nothing to do with him.
It would be interesting to know on what Trump based his assertion that Israel does want peace. Perhaps he didn’t have time to glance at the decision adopted the day before by the Knesset’s Education Committee that approved legislation imposing Israeli sovereignty over academic institutions in the West Bank. The decision sent the bill to the Knesset plenary for the first of three votes before it becomes law. On Jan. 29, the proposed legislation was already adopted at a first hearing. (Two more votes are necessary for the law to be approved.)
Current Israeli law does not apply to institutions operating in the territories that Israel has occupied since 1967. When the college of the settlement town of Ariel applied to become a university, the Council for Higher Education responded that this was not within its jurisdiction. In the early 1990s, the government formed a separate Council for Higher Education to oversee Ariel’s college, upgrading it to a full-fledged university in 1992; it is now authorized to grant academic degrees. The new law would shut down the separate council and present the Council for Higher Education with a fait accompli responsibility for an institution that it did not recognize in accordance with its respected, international academic standards.
A representative of the council, headed by Education Minister Naftali Bennett who is also chair of the pro-settlement HaBayit HaYehudi party, told the Knesset panel the decision was political. The author of the proposed bill, Knesset member Shuli Mualem-Rafaeli of Bennett’s party, made no bones about the intentions of the legislation. “Alongside the academic importance of the law,” she said, “there is also a clear element of imposing sovereignty, and I am proud of both.” Education Committee members, including centrist Yesh Atid party members, were not bothered by the fact that the institutions they want to annex are located in occupied territories, while residents of these same territories are excluded from Israeli campuses.
Legislation erasing the line that has for 50 years distinguished between sovereign Israel and the territories it occupies is clearly not limited to academic issues. Three days prior to the committee vote on academic annexation of the Israeli institutes of higher learning in the West Bank, a ministerial committee approved a dozen proposed government bills relating to Israeli settlements. Among them is a law annexing the settlers’ chickens by combining the egg quotas of Israeli poultry farmers in the West Bank with those of their fellow farmers in Israel. Three weeks earlier, on Jan. 3, Justice Minister Ayelet Shaked reported to the Knesset’s House Committee that every piece of proposed government legislation would apply to both sides of the 1967 Green Line from now on. Shaked, a member of the inner decision-making body known as the Diplomatic Defense Cabinet, explained that the new rule reflects government policy of advancing settlement in all parts of the Land of Israel “and normalizing life in Judea and Samaria [West Bank] too. There is no occupied state that is seeking to get back its occupied area,” Shaked added. Mindful of the fact that Israel rejects the very use of the word “occupied,” she was quick to correct herself and say, “seeking to get back its area.”
Tourism Minister Yariv Levin of the Likud Party backed up Shaked, saying, “The correct thing to do is to impose our sovereignty over all the areas of the Land of Israel.” Deputy Defense Minister Eli Ben-Dahan announced that his office was “moving forward with legislative procedures to equalize the laws that apply on the little State of Israel and not on Judea and Samaria.” The Knesset’s legal adviser, Attorney Eyal Yinon, reminded members of the committee that norms set by the parliament apply only to the state’s sovereign territory. He noted that as long as Israel has not imposed its law, jurisdiction and administration on the West Bank, its norms could not apply to that area.
European leaders agree that Israel’s legislative and executive arms should not have a say in the occupied territories. They insist that a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is not compatible with moves such as the application of Israeli laws in the area that the Palestinians are claiming as their future state. For example, last week the Danish parliament voted overwhelmingly (81-22) in favor of excluding the settlements from any agreements between Denmark and Israel and tightening guidelines against the investment of public and private funds in the occupied territories. At the same time, the Danish lawmakers expressed support for an initiative by the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights who is compiling a blacklist of companies doing business with West Bank settlements.
Now that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has announced that absent US mediation, there would not be a peace process with the Palestinians, the Europeans need not worry that taking a tough line on the settlement and annexation policy would undermine prospects of negotiations. On the other hand, Netanyahu has enough worries at home, with the police investigations against him, the political fights over the Sabbath and the public campaign against the government’s decision to deport asylum-seekers. He does not want another front. For eight years, he has resisted settlers’ pressures with the excuse that former US President Barack Obama was getting in his way of annexing territories. Obama has left the White House, taking with him Netanyahu’s excuse. Bennett and his party friends are taking advantage of Netanyahu’s warm relationship with the Trump administration to push him into a dangerous corner. When the president of the United States praises the settler-backed government’s desire for peace and threatens the Palestinians that they have “to want peace,” the dynamite in that corner could go off.

https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2018/01/israel-us-donald-trump-ayelet-shaked-university-ariel.html
Israels "ethnic-cleansing " in the Palestinian region is horrid and disgusting but you really have to sympathise with them as they have been the subject of attacks and wars from the Arabs in the middle east.
Like the Jordanian war.
Like when 20 Arab nations tried to destroy Israel but all failed

Every single country must condemn the "illegal" settlements and may also comment on how utterly useless the UN is.
They have passed so much legislation and condemnations on the practices of the Israeli state but nothing has changed because of the Dogs in the US government protecting them.

But I blame the residents of Gaza too for electing a terrorist organisation and now the peaceful Muslims in the West Bank must suffer
Reply 2
Original post by The PoliticalGuy
Israels "ethnic-cleansing " in the Palestinian region is horrid and disgusting but you really have to sympathise with them as they have been the subject of attacks and wars from the Arabs in the middle east.
Like the Jordanian war.

Why must i feel sorry for them? Past crimes by other actors in no way give them the right to cleanse the land they stole...
I'm not sure what that really has to do with the current state of apartheid ?

Every single country must condemn the "illegal" settlements and may also comment on how utterly useless the UN is.
They have passed so much legislation and condemnations on the practices of the Israeli state but nothing has changed because of the Dogs in the US government protecting them.

Why are you putting illegal in quotes as if its only alleged? There is nothing to dispute here the settlements are illegal and even the israelis admit it..

But I blame the residents of Gaza too for electing a terrorist organisation and now the peaceful Muslims in the West Bank must suffer

You blame people who live in one large concentration camp for electing the only possible choice [Fatah is hardly a choice I should point out] whom are not so much terrorists are freedom fighters from their perspective.
Let me put it to you this way;
Hamas fire a handful of rockets from Gaza into Israel - the only damage is a broken window, a dog with a slight limp and a blown up tree.
Israel launches a fleet of F-16's and flattens 3 apartment buildings which were vaguely near by and proceeds to pound the area with cluster shells and phosphorus rounds. Baring in mind how compact Gaza city is this by any metric cannot be targeted and is thus indiscriminate fire into civilians.

Please tell me how in this Hamas are the 'terrorists' ? They arent as respectable as Hizbullah but none the less.
Like the Jordanian war.

>actually feeling sympathy towards Israel

lmao
If Israel actually wanted to perform ethnic cleansing they would do it much more efficiently.

Sure Israel is being pretty bold, but then again, who is going to stop them? The always useless UN?
Original post by The Broken
If Israel actually wanted to perform ethnic cleansing they would do it much more efficiently.

There is a limit to even what Israel is allowed to do by the US.

The holocaust is why they can get away with so much, if they started holocausting the Arabs, they'd lose their trump card.
Original post by FriendlyPenguin

The holocaust is why they can get away with so much, if they started holocausting the Arabs, they'd lose their trump card.

It will be a very difficult to push that limit with Trump in power.
Reply 7

Sure Israel is being pretty bold, but then again, who is going to stop them? The always useless UN?

How is ejecting hundreds of thousands of people from their land not efficient?
Well Hezbollah stopped and then reversed their annexation of Lebanon.
Original post by FriendlyPenguin

In fairness I think Trump would be all for it.
Original post by Napp
How is ejecting hundreds of thousands of people from their land not efficient?
Well Hezbollah stopped and then reversed their annexation of Lebanon.

Because it would be far easier to just carpet bomb them, then they don't even need to knock the buildings down or move the people.

It only took 22 years to get them to withdraw fully behind the UN designated line.
Reply 9
Because it would be far easier to just carpet bomb them, then they don't even need to knock the buildings down or move the people.

It only took 22 years to get them to withdraw fully behind the UN designated line.

I should point out they do do that. Go look at some of the footage from the Gaza and Lebanese offensives - they flattened entire quarters of the cities.
Alas the UN is irrelevant there - the Israelis have made a point of attacking them.
So? Terror group<Regional super power ... not to mention the rather unpleasant defeat Israel suffered in '06.
Original post by Napp

Why must i feel sorry for them? Past crimes by other actors in no way give them the right to cleanse the land they stole...
I'm not sure what that really has to do with the current state of apartheid ?

You don't have to sympathise with them but you can see why people support them and why I can show sympathy because they were the constant target of Arab attacks during their early settlement.

Original post by Napp

Why are you putting illegal in quotes as if its only alleged? There is nothing to dispute here the settlements are illegal and even the israelis admit it..

It is alleged because Israel strongly denies them and they have not been proven in the UN court of International Law because of constant US Vetos so we will never know if they were truly illegal but it must still be condemned by all nations.

Do not know when Israel admitted its settlemts were illegal.
Come on now, you will result to fake news to assert your argument.

Original post by Napp
whom are not so much terrorists are freedom fighters from their perspective.

So you are in essence justifying Suicide attacks.
Ok.

Original post by Napp
Please tell me how in this Hamas are the 'terrorists' ? They arent as respectable as Hizbullah but none the less.

The definition of a terrorist organisation is " a group of terrorists that use violence or threat of violence against civilians for political or religious goals.

Please explain to me how Hamas doesn't fit this description.
Who is talking about Hezbollah
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
You don't have to sympathise with them but you can see why people support them and why I can show sympathy because they were the constant target of Arab attacks during their early settlement.

Few people support them. According to a poll only about 25% of Britains have a positive view of Israel.
Probably because they violently ejected the owners of the land?

It is alleged because Israel strongly denies them and they have not been proven in the UN court of International Law because of constant US Vetos so we will never know if they were truly illegal but it must still be condemned by all nations.

No it is not alleged, it is a firm fact that Israel has acknowledged. Not to mention countless UN resolutions affirming said fact.

Do not know when Israel admitted its settlemts were illegal.
Come on now, you will result to fake news to assert your argument.

Do you even know what fake news is?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/even-israel-says-this-jewish-settlement-is-illegal-now-comes-the-showdown/2016/11/19/04f06d62-ac24-11e6-8f19-21a1c65d2043_story.html?utm_term=.255e7d8d7fb5
To show but one link from a 2 second google search,

So you are in essence justifying Suicide attacks.
Ok.

I made no comment on suicide attacks. I find it amusing you find a suicide attack somehow worse than dropping a 500lb bomb on a civillian apartment building though. somewhat weird moral distinction.

The definition of a terrorist organisation is " a group of terrorists that use violence or threat of violence against civilians for political or religious goals.

Since there is no universally accepted definition of a 'terrorist' who are you quoting?
So by your very definition Israel are terrorists? :smile:

Please explain to me how Hamas doesn't fit this description.
Who is talking about Hezbollah

They more meet the definition of a guerrilla movement - they are trying to eject an occupying apartheid force from their territory - from what you're saying though would you call the French resistance in WWII a terror group?

I just did ? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending