The Student Room Group

Heathrow Airport worker dies. Passengers complain about delays.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bio 7
It seems very British that people care more about getting somewhere on time than a death nearby.

Yes! Thank you for expressing your humanity.
Reply 21
Original post by erratic_deus
Yes! Thank you for expressing your humanity.

I just keep remembering a joke someone said about how people in London, upon hearing of a bomb going off, would then just try and think of another route to work.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
I'm NOT ****ing autism. Autism people can't drive, they can't hold 3 jobs like I'm holding, and work, even a-- I wo-do for a moving company. If I was autism would I be able to move ****ing furniture all round all day? No. Would I be able to hold signs and hand out business cards? Noo. Autism people usually can't talk, they have no speech, they're not aware of their surroundings... but I am, so...

tsrkcwoody.png
Men ,especially manual workers in dangerous situations, are seen as totally disposable so nothing new here. I would be amazed if there was any empathy.
Original post by gjd800
Exactly the same principle. I'm not surprised to see this viewpoint represented and endorsed on here, because a great many posters on here routinely lack any sort of thought or empathy for anybody that is not themselves. When this has happened to me (a couple of times actually, but only one where the person actually died), I have of course been annoyed that pickups etc would now be messed up and I'd be later getting home/getting away, but that has quickly been outweighed by the 'well at least my family know I'm just late and not dead' and 'ah I'll get there eventually'.

I can see why people get cheesed off to be honest, because you’re not really told what is going on when an event like this happens (not that this makes posting abuse on twitter right)
Reply 25
Original post by Andrew97
I can see why people get cheesed off to be honest, because you’re not really told what is going on when an event like this happens (not that this makes posting abuse on twitter right)

There are always reasons, nothing occurs in a causal vacuum, of course. I just don't think getting narked about this stuff is particularly worthwhile anyway, nevermind once the context comes to light.
That just clearly shows the kind of world we live in today.. most people nowadays are selfish, money driven and insensible.
Original post by gjd800
There are always reasons, nothing occurs in a causal vacuum, of course. I just don't think getting narked about this stuff is particularly worthwhile anyway, nevermind once the context comes to light.

In this situation it was clear that the person had passed. But in other cases all you here is trespassing or a customer incident, at that point we clearly don’t know if somebody has died or not. That’s when I get slightly grumpy. Because i would like to know what is causing the delays so I know whether it’ll be a while (and worth finding another route) or if it’ll be fixed within the hour. I think that is at least reasonable.
Reply 28
In this situation it was clear that the person had passed. But in other cases all you here is trespassing or a customer incident, at that point we clearly don’t know if somebody has died or not. That’s when I get slightly grumpy. Because i would like to know what is causing the delays so I know whether it’ll be a while (and worth finding another route) or if it’ll be fixed within the hour. I think that is at least reasonable.

Fair, and that is a question I will generally ask myself in such situations. I have to say that in my experience, if I ask if it is worth you finding another way to get where you need to be, I have generally got a straight 'yes' or 'no'. An anecdote that does not fit all circumstances, I know.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm NOT ****ing autism. Autism people can't drive, they can't hold 3 jobs like I'm holding, and work, even a-- I wo-do for a moving company. If I was autism would I be able to move ****ing furniture all round all day? No. Would I be able to hold signs and hand out business cards? Noo. Autism people usually can't talk, they have no speech, they're not aware of their surroundings... but I am, so...

I sincerely hope you're joking about this, many people with autism have the capability to do all this and much more
Original post by TheMcSame
Surprise, surprise, people value large sums of money more than they do someone they never even knew existed. Welcome to the real world.

wow you're so edgy and woke how can i be like you
Original post by TheMcSame
Surprise surprise, people spend hundreds on a flight (not to mention thousands on the holiday itself)and aren't happy that someone caused an avoidable crash, let's face it, airfields aren't exactly residential streets, not to mention those Hiluxes aren't exactly small either (not to mention they're solidly built), and going off the damage there, it looks as if they've hit something just as f*cking big, if not bigger, some idiot wasn't paying attention and ended up taking someone else's (or their own) life as a result. What's new?

Some people are saying some bad and downright stupid sh*t, but I'd be pretty p*ssed if some idiot caused an avoidable crash that ultimately delayed my flight for a few hours. Death doesn't mean you can't be annoyed at something. You're essentially using the "respect your parents because they're your parents" argument, sh*t don't work like that.

At least someone here makes sense. :biggrin:
I love it when references totally go over peoples' heads :rofl:

[video="youtube;4W-KTFpHRs4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W-KTFpHRs4[/video]
I love it when references totally go over peoples' heads :rofl:

[video="youtube;4W-KTFpHRs4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W-KTFpHRs4[/video]

I have Autism! I'm 15 years old! I'm a member of Mensa and I'm going to study Engineering at Cambridge
Hey!
Can you please stop commenting on my posts!
I feel uncomfortable and I don't know how old you are!
My mum told me not to talk to anyone over 18 online!
Also you swear a lot and post your racist ideologies.
No I'd be pissed that an avoidable crash happened and someone else died.
I don't think I'd be that selfish to value £800 over a human life.

You’ve clearly never had to work your ass off to earn money then. If i’d spent £800, that’s a lot of money for me. I’d sure as hell be more concerned about that than some random i’ve never met.

You’re allowed to be annoyed at inconvenience while feeling sorry for whoever died. The two aren’t mutually exclusive. It could make you late for work, an important meeting, a wedding, a funeral of someone you do know. People are allowed to be irritated by inconvenience, the death of someone else doesn’t stop everyone else’s life. That meeting/event happens whether someone died or not.
Original post by cat_mac
You’ve clearly never had to work your ass off to earn money then. If i’d spent £800, that’s a lot of money for me. I’d sure as hell be more concerned about that than some random i’ve never met.

You’re allowed to be annoyed at inconvenience while feeling sorry for whoever died. The two aren’t mutually exclusive. It could make you late for work, an important meeting, a wedding, a funeral of someone you do know. People are allowed to be irritated by inconvenience, the death of someone else doesn’t stop everyone else’s life. That meeting/event happens whether someone died or not.

Exactly. I commute up to uni and if something like this happened on the exam day, I’m screwed.
Original post by cat_mac

What is wrong with you? Is your IQ 40 or something? The passengers were pissed off at the man for dying!
Exactly. I commute up to uni and if something like this happened on the exam day, I’m screwed.

The flight was at 5:45AM but left at 6:30 (after they dealt with stuff and put them on another plane).
What is wrong with you? Is your IQ 40 or something? The passengers were pissed off at the man for dying!

They were pissed that his death interfered with their lives.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending