The Student Room Group

Boy aged 17 killed in a series of stabbings taking place in Newham, East London!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The RAR
There is a pattern I am noticing with these stabbings in London but don't want to say it as I don't want to get banned for "racism"
Increase stop and search for people wearing a pouch with adidas and nike clothes and that speak with a roadman dialect

:rofl:
Original post by The RAR

Increase stop and search for people wearing a pouch with adidas and nike clothes and that speak with a roadman dialect

What you just added is now discrimination.
Roadman dialect (AAVE) doesn't necessarily mean you are part of a gang.
I guess what you just added is classist (is this a word?). Since not many BAME would talk in 'Queens English' as you'd like them to.

Check out this video of these beautiful black british uni students.
They talk in AAVE (not roadman dialect - that is also quite rude).

[video="youtube;ICmuDCpDARQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICmuDCpDARQ[/video]
I live in Newham. Yeh the amount of road men are insane but to be honest, it actually is not the whole of newham. It is mainly Manor Park, Stratford and Plaistow. East Ham, Upton Park and Beckton do have some stabbings but they are not as common.
Reply 23
Original post by Andrew97
I agree with you that stop and search is controversial and there may be a case to what you are saying (I don’t have the statistics either way) but I would point out that the majority of stabbings in London that we here about are from an ethnic minority background (im happy to be proved wrong on this) and thus it stands to reason doesn’t it to aim the prevention strategy at this demographic.

I’m not saying that the police just stop random people, there has to be some evidence for them being stopped.

Stop and search does not give powers to Police to literally stop and search anyone and everyone. A Police officer needs to; State his name, the Police station he is attached to, the grounds for the search - ie the suspicion and provide a copy of a search record - if asked - if not this can be asatained at a later date at a Police station. The Police use a system called 'Go wisely';

G- Grounds for search.
O- Object of the search is there an object you're searching for ie a knife.

W- Warrant card - if non uniformed provide ID.
I- Identity - Of officer and station attached to.
S- Station attached to.
E- Entitlement of search record.
L- Legal power If searching for evidence of a crime this would be under Police and criminal evidence act 1984
Y- 'You' are being detained for a purpose of a search...

Police go by this to stop discrimination. If more people are educated and learn this then you will know your rights when a Police officer stops and wants to search you.
Original post by orderofthelotus
I call ******** - Stratford is one of the safer areas of Newham and Westfield has been thriving since it was opened. There’s still crime and it shares many of its social issues with the rest of Newham but calling it a “no-go zone” is inaccurate.

This has nothing to do with the thread but if you want I'll share with you my geography paper 3 fieldwork which was based on "How successful have the London 2012 Olympics been in regenerating Newham".
Overall, the London 2012 Olympics haven't and I can explain this more in detail for you if you want in the PMS. As for now. Please don't comment further as I'll have to report you :smile:
Original post by Good bloke
There is a big difference between stereotyping and targeting groups because they are known to be highly likely to be carrying a weapon.

Are you suggesting that zimmer-frame using and senile old Chinese people people on the streets of Canning Town should be stopped and searched in the quest to keep the streets safe so as not to offend the racial sensibilities of the predominantly young and black gang members?

Exactly. If there are numerous stabbings involving let’s say black teenagers in Peckham, then I’m not going to get very far if I start stopping and searching old women and businessmen in Hammersmith.
That's how life is in Inner London, you live by gang, you die by gang. Luckily Lewisham has improbed.
Original post by jdddd
Stop and search does not give powers to Police to literally stop and search anyone and everyone. A Police officer needs to; State his name, the Police station he is attached to, the grounds for the search - ie the suspicion and provide a copy of a search record - if asked - if not this can be asatained at a later date at a Police station. The Police use a system called 'Go wisely';

G- Grounds for search.

S- Station attached to.
L- Legal power If searching for evidence of a crime this would be under Police and criminal evidence act 1984

Police go by this to stop discrimination. If more people are educated and learn this then you will know your rights when a Police officer stops and wants to search you.

Yes! I knew GO WISELY too because police officers came to our school for a workshop!
Original post by jdddd

G- Grounds for search.

S- Station attached to.

Thank you for the clarification.
Original post by erratic_deus

They talk in AAVE

Why would British people want to emulate black American street slang? Like literally, their vocabulary only consists of two words, one of those repeated ad nauseam in every sentence.
This has nothing to do with the thread but if you want I'll share with you my geography paper 3 fieldwork which was based on "How successful have the London 2012 Olympics been in regenerating Newham".
Overall, the London 2012 Olympics haven't and I can explain this more in detail for you if you want in the PMS. As for now. Please don't comment further as I'll have to report you :smile:

What did I say that broke the rules lmao and I’ve already done your course and have moved onto A-level geography so I’m already familiar with the work that happened in Stratford and I know it wasn’t 100% successful but my point still stands: Stratford is nowhere near a “no go zone”.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 31
Yes! I knew GO WISELY too because police officers came to our school for a workshop!

Well, now you know im not lying:wink: But if everyone knows that there shouldn't be much discrimination - it puts a stop to it for the most part.
Reply 32
Thank you for the clarification.

Just to back up your point:wink:
Original post by nio.m
I live in Newham. Yeh the amount of road men are insane but to be honest, it actually is not the whole of newham. It is mainly Manor Park, Stratford and Plaistow. East Ham, Upton Park and Beckton do have some stabbings but they are not as common.

I live in Manor Park!
Original post by 0lut0
I believe schools and social services are to blame for knife crime because the social services for the youth is so poor in London. I know so many boys that have been excluded from school and have no where to go so they just peddle around the streets in bikes because they don't have anything else to do their parents are most likely going to work to support the family so for atleast 6hrs they're just left on the streets. Excluded kids need to be given some sort of support and stop being treated like it's the end for them because then they'll just turn to something else, you can't get a job when you've been excluded from school you're probably around 14/15 this is the stage where you want money to get all the clothes and brands whatever so since you can't find a legal way to get that money and you're left on the streets for 6/7hrs because you don't go to school anymore so you begin going stealing mobile phones etc it all starts from there. Also social media puts immense pressure especially on gang members to retaliate there are so many pages out there dedicated to the latest stabbings it's basically made to look like a game.

Yes! I totally agree with you.
Every time someone is excluded from our school, the next day they are waiting outside the gates on their bike or something!
What you just added is now discrimination.
Roadman dialect (AAVE) doesn't necessarily mean you are part of a gang.
I guess what you just added is classist (is this a word?). Since not many BAME would talk in 'Queens English' as you'd like them to.

Check out this video of these beautiful black british uni students.
They talk in AAVE (not roadman dialect - that is also quite rude).

[video="youtube;ICmuDCpDARQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICmuDCpDARQ[/video]

That's true to an extent but really people who speak with roadman dialect are more likely to be in a gang than those who don't, yes I have seen the video and the girls do give some sensible advice for Oxbridge applicants but I don't see how that is related to this issue.
Original post by The RAR
That's true to an extent but really people who speak with roadman dialect are more likely to be in a gang than those who don't, yes I have seen the video and the girls do give some sensible advice for Oxbridge applicants but I don't see how that is related to this issue.

Hey!
Some of the comments are particularly rude to Courtney, they said that "how could she be at Cambridge if she speaks in slang (wrong - should have said AAVE)"

Here is another video where she addresses the hate she got from being a typical black girl at an elite university.
This video is much shorter!

[video="youtube;sZjkUBTIsgo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZjkUBTIsgo[/video]
But didn’t you already have a place doing engineering at Cambridge? Like you said in another thread.

Seriously woman, your story has more holes in it than a sieve.

I'm going to Cambridge this summer for 2 weeks, as a scholarship recipient!
See here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEwzgWkcoSw
This also has nothing to do with the thread please check out my GYG gcse thread! It is called "Journey to 10 9's"
Reply 38
Knife crime in London is a direct cause of the poor school system and social services because you end up with excluded kids who don't have anywhere to go so they just roam around the streets. Also knife crime is glamorized among the youth there are pages literally dedicated to reporting the latest stabbings and the gang activity that goes on forcing gang members to retaliate because they don't want to be seen as the "loosing side" we suffer from the same problem as Chicago since stabbing someone is essentially seen a game, taking someones life or using a knife isn't viewed as serious the people doing the stabbings don't realize the impact of it they just see it as a scoring a point and they either expect you to retaliate or do nothing. There's so much things going on that's contributing to this knife crime. We need to start just giving excluded kids a chance or somewhere else don't just let them be on the streets for 6/7hrs because trouble is inevitable.
I bet she’s actually a 40 year old man.

Hey! This comment isn't nice can you please delete it?
I'm not 40 nor am I an old man.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending