The Student Room Group

Trigonometry

How would I find the integral of √5cos(2x - λ) - 1 ?
Original post by znx
How would I find the integral of √5cos(2x - λ) - 1 ?

5cos(2xλ)1.dx=5cos(2xλ).dx1.dx\displaystyle \int \sqrt{5}\cos (2x-\lambda) -1 .dx = \sqrt{5} \int \cos (2x-\lambda) .dx - \int 1.dx

For the first integral, you can do it without much thinking. Though if you really must, use the sub u=2xλu=2x-\lambda
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
5cos(2xλ)1.dx=5cos(2xλ).dx1.dx\displaystyle \int \sqrt{5}\cos (2x-\lambda) -1 .dx = \sqrt{5} \int \cos (2x-\lambda) .dx - \int 1.dx

For the first integral, you can do it without much thinking. Though if you really must, use the sub u=2xλu=2x-\lambda

I got (√5/2)sin(2x - λ) - x, so Im supposed to show that when I evaluate it with upper bound λ and lower bound 0, the area is 2 - λ. I cant seem to get the right answer? I thought maybe I had the wrong integral but im not sure now.
Original post by znx
I got (√5/2)sin(2x - λ) - x, so Im supposed to show that when I evaluate it with upper bound λ and lower bound 0, the area is 2 - λ. I cant seem to get the right answer? I thought maybe I had the wrong integral but im not sure now.

Yeah you're not getting that answer from 0λ5cos(2xλ)1.dx=5sinλλ\displaystyle \int_0^{\lambda} \sqrt{5}\cos (2x-\lambda) -1 .dx = \sqrt{5}\sin \lambda - \lambda
Reply 4
Yeah you're not getting that answer from 0λ5cos(2xλ)1.dx=5sinλλ\displaystyle \int_0^{\lambda} \sqrt{5}\cos (2x-\lambda) -1 .dx = \sqrt{5}\sin \lambda - \lambda

Oh right, the original equation is f(x) = 2(2cosx - sinx)sinx.
If I integrated that would It come out as 2 - λ?
Original post by znx
Oh right, the original equation is f(x) = 2(2cosx - sinx)sinx.
If I integrated that would It come out as 2 - λ?

Nope

What's the FULL question that you're attempting to do here?
Reply 6
QUOTE=RDKGames;76291558]Nope

What's the FULL question that you're attempting to do here?

IMG_2414.JPG
Its part iv)
Original post by znx

Its part iv)

You need to use the fact that tanλ=2\tan \lambda = 2 and deduce the exact value of sinλ\sin \lambda before substituting it into 5sinλλ\sqrt{5} \sin \lambda - \lambda

EDIT: You actually find it in part (i) anyway so use it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
You need to use the fact that tanλ=2\tan \lambda = 2 and deduce the exact value of sinλ\sin \lambda before substituting it into 5sinλλ\sqrt{5} \sin \lambda - \lambda

EDIT: You actually find it in part (i) anyway so use it.

With the integral what happened to the 1/2 in √5/2?
Original post by znx
With the integral what happened to the 1/2 in √5/2?

Do the integral. You should end up with sin(λ)-\sin(-\lambda) from the lower bound. Use the fact that sin(x)sinx\sin(-x) \equiv - \sin x so then you just have sinλ\sin \lambda from the lower bound. The half shall then cancel accordingly.
Reply 10
Do the integral. You should end up with sin(λ)-\sin(-\lambda) from the lower bound. Use the fact that sin(x)sinx\sin(-x) \equiv - \sin x so then you just have sinλ\sin \lambda from the lower bound. The half shall then cancel accordingly.

Thank you for taking the time to help, I really appreciate it mate.

Quick Reply

Latest