The Student Room Group

Pre Uni gap year advice

I am currently on my gap year with my attention now turning to starting university this September. Bearing in mind I will have had 16 months out of studying/education by the time my course starts, how should I prepare academically? Would it be wise to revisit some material from school? I am studying Geophysics and Meteorology so obviously maths and physics are the biggest building blocks of my course. I studied these until AH level. TIA.
Original post by DylanF21
I am currently on my gap year with my attention now turning to starting university this September. Bearing in mind I will have had 16 months out of studying/education by the time my course starts, how should I prepare academically? Would it be wise to revisit some material from school? I am studying Geophysics and Meteorology so obviously maths and physics are the biggest building blocks of my course. I studied these until AH level. TIA.

I haven't done geophysics or meterology, so I can't specifically comment on how much physics there is in the course, but I would definitely revisit maths.

Some of my friends who did metereology said they done maths on trigonometry, differentiation, and vectors. I would suspect there to be quite a bit of stats (specifically hypothesis testing).

There is also the Schaum's Outline book on earth sciences that might be of interest:
https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Schaum_s_Outline_of_Theory_and_Problems.html?id=HhMpAQAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y
The book is a bit dated, but it should still have some material that would help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending