The Student Room Group

GCSE grade 8/9 maths students

If you got a 7/8/9 in your mocks or GCSEs, how did you do it? How did you revise and what resources did you use?
(edited 6 years ago)
Well I did my exams last year and I got a 9 and um it's really just going over everything over and over again until you are a genius at it
Reply 2
I got a low 8 in my last mock, but honestly cant say I revised for it. Although if you are currently on a 5-6 grade currently then you should probably just learn some topics that are almost guaranteed to come up such as functions/inverse functions, equation of a line and vectors. Keep doing questions on them and make sure to do the harder ones as well. That should probably increase your results by 5-10 marks.
I got a Grade 8 last year and I did it a year early so currently, I am in Year 11.
Just do exam papers and buy a CGP 9-1 GCSE math book to do answers in as it helped me a lot.
Reply 4
Original post by sxhxl
If you got a 7/8/9 in your mocks or GCSEs, how did you do it? How did you revise and what recourses did you use?

I got a grade 9 in maths and basically, I'm a visual learner so I watched a lot of videos on maths topics such as equations of a line.However, it depends on what type of learner you are.Also, do a lot of practice papers because now its just about application and applying your knowledge.
Hope this helps :smile:
I got a 9 and I just learn a lot of Maths and try to solve problems.
Original post by Max Adam
I've done quite a lot of past papers to get the 221/240 for my mock, but it after a while, you notice some patterns about the papers and what they give marks for exactly. Also, focusing on weaker areas and using the textbook helped for me. To be honest, as long as you know the basic theory for all the topics, you should be alright.

which textbok?
Original post by sxhxl
If you got a 7/8/9 in your mocks or GCSEs, how did you do it? How did you revise and what recourses did you use?

Just do past papers over again and exploit the rote-learning based curriculum
Original post by sxhxl

I got a 9 in my GCSE last year. Mostly I just had an amazing teacher who helped me understand all the concepts first time. So I would say that's the first step, make sure you understand all the concepts 100% and if not go see your teachers or watch youtube videos etc. Then make sure you know all the formulae and how to use them (quadratic formula etc.). Practise past papers/specimen papers and be diligent when you mark them, if you don't understand a question make sure you go back to it and find out how to do it, don't just leave it and hope you'll understand it later. That's about it, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest