The Student Room Group

Medicine Interviews

Hello all,
this isn't urgent or anything; I'm not having any -possible- interviews till next year :smile:.
However, this question has been playing on my mind.

Other than little things like bobby pins and gum, what should I bring to a medicine interview?

I was thinking of bringing a portfolio with popular medical cases that blew up in the media (Such as the Charlie Gard case) with a write up discussing the ethics, media involvement and international involvement plus the complications.

Is this silly and pointless? I heard the interview stations (for MMI) don't last too long, most maxing out to 10 minutes.

I had also heard of some people writing a thank-you letter or giving in a thank-you card for the secretaries to pass onto the interviewers, even if they didn't get an offer. (However, I think this was regarding the American traditonal-style interviews).

I feel like the second thing may be unnecessary, but I'd like to hear your thoughts and any interview tips/essentials to bring.
(edited 6 years ago)
Im still at school but you really don’t need to give them a card or bring in a portfolio. They’re not going to look at it and they want to know about YOU not what happened last week in the news. 15 minutes isn’t long and they don’t want to waste it looking at something they probably saw on the telly last night.
the MMI's i attended you had to leave all outside belongings in another room. Doing the write up might be helpful for you as a way to gather information to answer something along the lines of
Original post by Melissa777
the MMI's i attended you had to leave all outside belongings in another room. Doing the write up might be helpful for you as a way to gather information to answer something along the lines of

Dont know why whole thing didnt post
Lines of "tell us about a medical news story" but they're unlikely to read a report. For example at my interviews exam certifcate copies were asked for and i brought dofe and music exams aswell, they just gave them back to me. (This is experience with scottish med schools i dont know much about english ones)
You can make a portfolio for your own "revision" I guess, but do not bring it in. If anything it would look like you're over-prepared and so your answers are rehearsed, not organic like they want. I had a small exercise book where I'd made notes on things like the Charlie Gard case and TED Talks I'd seen, but I only used it for preparation prior to the interview and I didn't bring it in with me.

Also, you can never guess what you'll be asked about (unless there's a set thing you're always asked about, e.g. UCL will pretty much always ask about your BMAT essay and something related to the NHS) so don't worry about learning miniscule details of one case. At my HYMS MMI I knew I was going to be asked about recent events so I'd looked in the news and things in the weeks leading up to my interview and rather than things like the flu crisis, I was asked about the new London GP app (which I had actually downloaded out of curiosity and read up on).

Don't bother sending a thank you letter either as they score you at the time of your interview usually so it will have no benefit to your application and tbh I'd be a bit weirded out if I was an interviewer. Just say "thank you" or "it was nice meeting you" as you leave, don't worry about sending a letter or note.

I'd recommend bringing a bottle of water, maybe a book to read depending on the style and timings of interview, any preparation notes you've done to look over whilst you're waiting and potentially a snack (once again depending on the style, I only mention this as I know that at UCL you may arrive for around 1pm but not actually be interviewed until around 5pm, so be prepared). Also tissues! I brought pretty much everything else to my UCL interview and as soon as I got there my nose started running!

Also, definitely bring any ID or emails they've requested like Bianica said!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Melissa777
Dont know why whole thing didnt post
Lines of "tell us about a medical news story" but they're unlikely to read a report. For example at my interviews exam certifcate copies were asked for and i brought dofe and music exams aswell, they just gave them back to me. (This is experience with scottish med schools i dont know much about english ones)

Do you think they'd want references (for proof of attendance) from my extra-curriculars and work experience? Even if they don't read it, just to show that I had done it.

And I think I agree with you, doing the write up is fine but is unecessary to bring into the interview. It's good for preparing for possible questions
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
Do you think they'd want references (for proof of attendance) from my extra-curriculars and work experience? Even if they don't read it, just to show that I had done it.

And I think I agree with you, doing the write up is fine but is unecessary to bring into the interview. It's good for preparing for possible questions

If they want them then they'll ask for them prior to interviews. I know that UCL usually ask a few people for them (it doesn't impact whether you get an offer or an interview, I think it's more to ensure that people don't lie), however they're more likely going to look for proof in your answers.

I was asked about work experience and what I'd learned from it, which you'd find very hard to answer if you had not actually attended any as they look for specific examples (I spoke about a specific young boy I'd helped at Beavers and how it'd helped me become more patient, etc.)

Only references if they ask e.g aberdeen have a work experinece form to fill in, it dosen't hurt bringing any certifcates just in case but it's not a big deal of you don't, as they will likely ask directly for them.
Original post by rainbowcat1437
Im still at school but you really don’t need to give them a card or bring in a portfolio. They’re not going to look at it and they want to know about YOU not what happened last week in the news. 15 minutes isn’t long and they don’t want to waste it looking at something they probably saw on the telly last night.

I see your point and agree with the time, however some universities actually want to discuss the NHS in the media.
I've heard from several interviewees at my preferred Uni that they ask questions about it :smile:.

Some universities require it. For example, I had an interview at Leeds and a few days before they sent us an email where we had to provide details of all the work experience and volunteering placements we had done. I brought a folder with all my GCSE certificates, references etc with me to every interview just in case, but it was never asked for :smile:
Original post by JennLousie
You can make a portfolio for your own "revision" I guess, but do not bring it in. If anything it would look like you're over-prepared and so your answers are rehearsed, not organic like they want. I had a small exercise book where I'd made notes on things like the Charlie Gard case and TED Talks I'd seen, but I only used it for preparation prior to the interview and I didn't bring it in with me.

Also, you can never guess what you'll be asked about (unless there's a set thing you're always asked about, e.g. UCL will pretty much always ask about your BMAT essay and something related to the NHS) so don't worry about learning miniscule details of one case. At my HYMS MMI I knew I was going to be asked about recent events so I'd looked in the news and things in the weeks leading up to my interview and rather than things like the flu crisis, I was asked about the new London GP app (which I had actually downloaded out of curiosity and read up on).

Don't bother sending a thank you letter either as they score you at the time of your interview usually so it will have no benefit to your application and tbh I'd be a bit weirded out if I was an interviewer. Just say "thank you" or "it was nice meeting you" as you leave, don't worry about sending a letter or note.

I'd recommend bringing a bottle of water, maybe a book to read depending on the style and timings of interview, any preparation notes you've done to look over whilst you're waiting and potentially a snack (once again depending on the style, I only mention this as I know that at UCL you may arrive for around 1pm but not actually be interviewed until around 5pm, so be prepared). Also tissues! I brought pretty much everything else to my UCL interview and as soon as I got there my nose started running!

Also, definitely bring any ID or emails they've requested like Bianica said!

Thank you so much for the advice:smile: and thank you to everyone too:h:
I see your point and agree with the time, however some universities actually want to discuss the NHS in the media.
I've heard from several interviewees at my preferred Uni that they ask questions about it :smile:.

Hence why you should do some reading beforehand in order to get a general idea of key stories surrounding the NHS at the moment. You should definitely be doing outside research but don't worry about learning the cases inside and out, just learn enough to be able to discuss the general issue.

For example, what are the ethical dilemmas with the Charlie Gard case - well beneficence: is ending his life doing the best thing for him?, maleficence: are you harming him more by ending his life or by allowing treatment to continue?, consent: his parents refuse to consent on his behalf, etc.

I'd also suggest that you have an opinion on the matter as well as potential counter arguments because interviewers like to see that you've considered both sides when looking at an issue.

I know but I think a portfolio is a little unnecessary. I have heard that they sometimes ask questions but the only things you need a portfolio for are fashion and art and those kinds of things.
All you need to do is read the news a few moths before and have an opinion
portfolio? absolutely not. I'm not sure any medicine interview has asked for it and even if you bring it, i doubt they'll let you bring anything to the interview rooms as they are very strict on what you bring inside. Only bring the the things they ask for in your interview invite e.g. proof of ID, Certificates. The best thing to do is just come prepared for the possible questions. When they ask about NHS issues, they usually test the knowledge you know in your head to discuss it and not an essay you've pre-written.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending