The Student Room Group

Gcse results and universty

For my gcse results I achieved 2A*’s 7A’s and 1C, however the c was in maths. I am not sure if am even interested in applying to oxbridge but should I even bother due to my grade in maths? Also would this be a problem for other universities too? I’m currently studying geography, history and English literature and I am choosing our of geography and history as a degree. Thanks!
Original post by annagreener
For my gcse results I achieved 2A*’s 7A’s and 1C, however the c was in maths. I am not sure if am even interested in applying to oxbridge but should I even bother due to my grade in maths? Also would this be a problem for other universities too? I’m currently studying geography, history and English literature and I am choosing our of geography and history as a degree. Thanks!

Are you in Year 12? If so how did you get letter grades for Maths? Geography has some maths so you may want to look at some unis for GCSE requirements.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Are you in Year 12? If so how did you get letter grades for Maths? Geography has some maths so you may want to look at some unis for GCSE requirements.

Yeah I am in year 12! I got letter grades, 2 7’s in English and a 4 in maths. I was just completely terrible at maths! I would want to do a BA Geography degree so maths for the courses I’ve looked at seem okay as it’s human geography so not having much maths in
Original post by annagreener
Yeah I am in year 12! I got letter grades, 2 7’s in English and a 4 in maths. I was just completely terrible at maths! I would want to do a BA Geography degree so maths for the courses I’ve looked at seem okay as it’s human geography so not having much maths in

OK so you did get a number grade for Maths :smile: Make sure they are happy with a '4' as some unis are asking for a '5'.

Do your teachers think you are Oxbridge material?
Reply 4
I meant number sorry hahahah, and yeah they do but I’m not sure on it myself I was just questioning if it would be even worth looking in to with my grades
Most universities look for at least a C in maths and English (sometimes a science as well) so you're good. Dunno about oxbridge though so you might want to look that up on their website.

Still, universities look at A-Levels more than at GCSEs, so if you get As and A*s at A-Level, I don't see why oxbridge wouldn't give you an offer. You'll definitely get offers from other universities as well without getting all As. I applied to Southampton (top 1% worldwide), they wanted AAB and I applied with AS grades ACCD. Got BBC at A-Level and still let me in with no problems. All my maths/english/science GCSEs were C or above as well.
Reply 6
Original post by Sheisun1998
Most universities look for at least a C in maths and English (sometimes a science as well) so you're good. Dunno about oxbridge though so you might want to look that up on their website.

Still, universities look at A-Levels more than at GCSEs, so if you get As and A*s at A-Level, I don't see why oxbridge wouldn't give you an offer. You'll definitely get offers from other universities as well without getting all As. I applied to Southampton (top 1% worldwide), they wanted AAB and I applied with AS grades ACCD. Got BBC at A-Level and still let me in with no problems. All my maths/english/science GCSEs were C or above as well.

Ah thank you a lot for this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending