The Student Room Group

A level done in year 11

I did a A-level Italian in year 11 (I am currently in year 12 nearly year 13), will this count when applying for universties?
It will! An A-level is an A-level, no matter how old you were when you got it :smile:
It will count for something, but I believe that the typical expectation from universities is three A-levels sat in year thirteen.
If you have an additional A-level it may serve in your favour, but universities like to see that you are able to handle the pressure of taking your A-levels at the same time.
Original post by ciao50276
I did a A-level Italian in year 11 (I am currently in year 12 nearly year 13), will this count when applying for universties?

Most unis won’t accept AL’s taken prior to sixth form. Some will want 3 taken in the same sitting, (with the exception of Maths which is often taken early prior to Further Maths in upper sixth)

In brief you need to check with wherever you are applying.

Original post by ellieeeeeeeeeeex
It will! An A-level is an A-level, no matter how old you were when you got it :smile:

This is incorrect.
Original post by Admit-One
Most unis won’t accept AL’s taken prior to sixth form. Some will want 3 taken in the same sitting, (with the exception of Maths which is often taken early prior to Further Maths in upper sixth)

This is incorrect.

Ah okay my apologies! My teachers in sixth form told me otherwise but thank you for correcting me! :smile:
Original post by ellieeeeeeeeeeex
Ah okay my apologies! My teachers in sixth form told me otherwise but thank you for correcting me! :smile:

It’s correct for the purposes of putting it on your CV, but not for a uni application which is what the person is asking about here. No need to apologise.
Reply 6

This is incorrect.

Thank you. Would you happen to know some London Universities that accept ALs taken in previous years? If not, do I have to email the admission team to get in contact with them?
Reply 7
Original post by Rufus The Red
It will count for something, but I believe that the typical expectation from universities is three A-levels sat in year thirteen.
If you have an additional A-level it may serve in your favour, but universities like to see that you are able to handle the pressure of taking your A-levels at the same time.

Thank you. Would you happen to know some London Universities that accept ALs taken in previous years? If not, do I have to email the admission team to get in contact with them?

I don’t unfortunately. Yes, your best bet is to email them directly with all the relevant dates and get something in writing before you apply.
Reply 9
I don’t unfortunately. Yes, your best bet is to email them directly with all the relevant dates and get something in writing before you apply.

Hello, I have emailed some universities and they all have said I would be able to include A-level Italian and submit my application with that A-level. I was wondering if I am able to put the three A-level grades I will be predicted in year 13 as well as the A-level I have taken in year 11? Or am I just limited to 3?
Hello, I have emailed some universities and they all have said I would be able to include A-level Italian and submit my application with that A-level. I was wondering if I am able to put the three A-level grades I will be predicted in year 13 as well as the A-level I have taken in year 11? Or am I just limited to 3?

You can put any number of AL's and indeed you must list everything you've completed and anything you have pending, (whether it's a retake or a new subject).
Reply 11
You can put any number of AL's and indeed you must list everything you've completed and anything you have pending, (whether it's a retake or a new subject).

Really appreciate all your help! Just to to get a peace of mind, when I apply to the course I am interested in, how do I know that Universities will be looking at the A-levels I want them to as I don't want one of the A-levels I am currently doing to be one of the three a-levels they consider when looking at my application? Are there any specific actions I need to take for the AL done previously to be considered? By the way, under my secondary school section, do I put the AL I have taken there as that's the centre I did it in?
Really appreciate all your help! Just to to get a peace of mind, when I apply to the course I am interested in, how do I know that Universities will be looking at the A-levels I want them to as I don't want one of the A-levels I am currently doing to be one of the three a-levels they consider when looking at my application? Are there any specific actions I need to take for the AL done previously to be considered? By the way, under my secondary school section, do I put the AL I have taken there as that's the centre I did it in?

You don't need to do anything to make sure the 'right' combination of qualifications is considered, the unis will assess whichever ones meet their offer making criteria.

Not sure I quite follow the last Q, but for each qualification you need to list the centre where you took it.
Reply 13
You don't need to do anything to make sure the 'right' combination of qualifications is considered, the unis will assess whichever ones meet their offer making criteria.

Not sure I quite follow the last Q, but for each qualification you need to list the centre where you took it.

Apologies, I mean under the secondary education section, where I put my GCSEs, would I also have to put my A-level Italian there aswell as I have taken it the same year as my other GCSE qualifications (with the same centre)?
Apologies, I mean under the secondary education section, where I put my GCSEs, would I also have to put my A-level Italian there aswell as I have taken it the same year as my other GCSE qualifications (with the same centre)?

Ah right, (and bear with me as I don't have access to UCAS currently so don't know exactly what the sections look like!), so you should be able to list each centre more than once, for each period of study. So you can enter the Italian AL along with your GCSE period of of study, then the same centre again with the pending ones.

Some would count it, others would not. Depends on uni. But still, what grade did you get? If A* and it counts, great! Especially as you did it in Y11 and still managed that. Pretty good.
Reply 16

Do your parents speak Italian? I have heard that can affect whether they count the A-level or not

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending