The Student Room Group

Can I get into an Economics course at a top uni without A level Economics?

I am currently studying A levels - my subjects are Maths, Biology and Chemistry. Couple months back I decided medicine is not for me, so I was exploring my options. I found out unis only want A* is maths for Economics degrees.

I want to apply to:
1) Oxford
2)UCL
3) LSE
4) Warwick
5) Bath

I was wondering what are my chances of getting in without A level Economics
Unlikely,
Further maths is preferred as well
Reply 2
Look at course requirements, many don’t need economics but would definitely like Further Maths.
Reply 3
Original post by Tkaurig
Look at course requirements, many don’t need economics but would definitely like Further Maths.

I was looking at the requirements and they all said they want A* in Maths, however they do not state anything about Further Maths.
Reply 4
Original post by Sharaf_
I was looking at the requirements and they all said they want A* in Maths, however they do not state anything about Further Maths.

I’m pretty sure the LSE course states they have a preference for further maths, regardless they will definitely be looking for it. That isn’t to say you wouldn’t be able to get in without it.
Original post by Sharaf_

LSE Economics:
"Programme requirement: A level Mathematics. Further Mathematics at A or AS level is a valuable indicator of potential and if taken at A level is acceptable as one of the three subjects"

Further maths is not a requirement but it is preferred; same with economics (if your school offers it).
Without Further Maths?

good luck

With Further Maths?

Maybe.
Yes.

Maths is the essential subject, and Further Maths ranges from "desirable" to "highly recommended" depending on which course you're thinking of. While it's not uncommon for applicants to have Economics, this seems to be more of a bias of the applicants - those who take it are more likely to apply to it for uni - than a preference on the universities' behalf.

For LSE and Warwick though I would suggest looking into seeing if you can pick up AS Further Maths or something, potentially. If anything it would be very helpful once your start the course...
Original post by Sharaf_

I am currently studying A levels - my subjects are Maths, Biology and Chemistry. Couple months back I decided medicine is not for me, so I was exploring my options. I found out unis only want A* is maths for Economics degrees.

I want to apply to:
1) Oxford
2)UCL
3) LSE
4) Warwick
5) Bath

On top of trying to get AS maths, I'd say really get invested in economics and reading deeply around the subject. Since you aren't taking at a-level you will likely be expected to show your passion for it more, since you don't have evidence of academic success in it (e.g. via predicted grades). Just for context, I went to the Econ talk at the LSE open day last year and the talk asked how many people here took a-level econ - 99% of the room put their hand up. So be prepared to face competition and go the extra mile, but it's definitely doable.
I received an unconditional to study economics at st Andrews and I haven't studied economics at all, I also know someone who attends LSE to study economics and they didn't study it either at school.

Original post by Sharaf_

I want to apply to:
1) Oxford
2)UCL
3) LSE
4) Warwick
5) Bath

A-Level Economics is bullsh*t, it's a Mickey Mouse A-Level because you can't even do the degree it's suppose to be the successor of.

"Hello I'd like to do an Economics degree!"
"Did you study Maths?"
"No?"
"Sorry, no Maths, no Econ degree."
"Huh!? I did Economics though!"
"Sorry kid, Maths is what we want."
"HUH!?"
(edited 6 years ago)
Your lack of A-Level Economics is not really an issue at all.

For Oxford, I'm assuming that you're referring to the Economics & Management course, in which case your subject combination is suitable - it's just that many candidates may take 4 subjects (which confers an advantage for such a competitive course in terms of convincing them of your ability to handle the workload).

For LSE, UCL and Warwick, the issue is unlikely to be A-Level Economics but rather A-Level Further Mathematics. Each of these university's economics courses is highly mathematical and hence a lack of Further Mathematics may make you a less competitive candidate.

However, for courses which combine economics with another field (not pure economics), your subject combination is likely to be suitable. A-Level Economics is not really important because university-level economics is extremely different.
Original post by matthewleechen
Your lack of A-Level Economics is not really an issue at all.

For Oxford, I'm assuming that you're referring to the Economics & Management course, in which case your subject combination is suitable - it's just that many candidates may take 4 subjects (which confers an advantage for such a competitive course in terms of convincing them of your ability to handle the workload).

E&M workload is probably much less than 4 subjects at A Level. It's one of the lightest workloads at Oxbridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending