The Student Room Group

Master in Economics at Birkbeck

Could obtaining a Master's degree in Economics from Birkbeck serve as a starting point towards pursuing a PhD or another Master's degree at a top-tier university in the future? Thanks
Original post by rocksoff10
Could obtaining a Master's degree in Economics from Birkbeck serve as a starting point towards pursuing a PhD or another Master's degree at a top-tier university in the future? Thanks

Birkbeck's postgrad economics course are generally used for two purposes:

1) Civil servants, central bankers, professional economists with just undergrads sometimes do their MSc's at Birkbeck as their employers offer to pay as the courses can be taken part-time in the evenings, so the employee can still work in the day and are usually given ~20days of study leave from their employer. A much smaller number, usually at the BoE do part-time PhDs at Birkbeck because again it's very flexible.

2) The other main use for Birkbeck's postgrad economics courses is the do the graduate diploma in economics there. This is usually done by individuals without an economics undergrad but want to switch to economics, or perhaps their job (e.g. a policy analyst at BoE/HMT) involves economics so they want some formal education in it. People with the GDE can then apply for MSc Economics courses anywhere in the UK.

Personally I don't see the point in doing the MSc Economics there and then doing another MSc at another UK university, why not just do one? While the Birkbeck GDE can mean you can apply for top MSc courses, it would be very tough to get proper funding to get onto a good PhD Economics course with a Birkbeck MSc Economics.
Reply 2
Thank you for your response and for providing your recommendations. I currently hold a bachelor's degree in economics from a university outside of the UK and am interested in pursuing a master's degree or ideally a PhD from a reputable UK institution in the future. Unfortunately, I am unable to leave my current job to fully dedicate myself to studies at this time. This is why the opportunity to study at Birkbeck is particularly appealing to me. However, I would like to inquire whether a master's degree from Birkbeck is widely recognized and sufficient to pursue further postgraduate studies at a top-tier university in the future. Thanks again for your comments!
Original post by rocksoff10
Thank you for your response and for providing your recommendations. I currently hold a bachelor's degree in economics from a university outside of the UK and am interested in pursuing a master's degree or ideally a PhD from a reputable UK institution in the future. Unfortunately, I am unable to leave my current job to fully dedicate myself to studies at this time. This is why the opportunity to study at Birkbeck is particularly appealing to me. However, I would like to inquire whether a master's degree from Birkbeck is widely recognized and sufficient to pursue further postgraduate studies at a top-tier university in the future. Thanks again for your comments!

I guess it depends what you consider a 'top-tier PhD'. Without a very strong undergrad, I think it would be pretty tough to get onto a funded PhD at unis like LSE, UCL, Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, etc, with a MSc Economics from Birkbeck.

Are you currently living and working in the UK? If not then I don't understand how you'd study at Birkbeck if you don't leave the job you're in atm. If you are in the UK, and have highlighted Birkbeck due to its part-time nature, then your only options to get into a top tier PhD would be to either do the GDE at Birkbeck, then a MSc at a better unis, so you can get into a good PhD (though the GDE is really meant for people with no economics background, though this one year course might appeal if you don't have a strong undergrad). Alternatively, you could do the MSc Economics at Birkbeck (which is likely the right level for you), then do another master's elsewhere at somewhere better, then apply for a good PhD program (tho this seems a bit overkill and overly expensive).

Would it not be better to save for another year or two while working and then just apply for a good MSc straight away?
Reply 4
Original post by BenRyan99
I guess it depends what you consider a 'top-tier PhD'. Without a very strong undergrad, I think it would be pretty tough to get onto a funded PhD at unis like LSE, UCL, Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, etc, with a MSc Economics from Birkbeck.

Are you currently living and working in the UK? If not then I don't understand how you'd study at Birkbeck if you don't leave the job you're in atm. If you are in the UK, and have highlighted Birkbeck due to its part-time nature, then your only options to get into a top tier PhD would be to either do the GDE at Birkbeck, then a MSc at a better unis, so you can get into a good PhD (though the GDE is really meant for people with no economics background, though this one year course might appeal if you don't have a strong undergrad). Alternatively, you could do the MSc Economics at Birkbeck (which is likely the right level for you), then do another master's elsewhere at somewhere better, then apply for a good PhD program (tho this seems a bit overkill and overly expensive).

Would it not be better to save for another year or two while working and then just apply for a good MSc straight away?

What do you mean by strong undergrad? Do you mean the institution you did it at or the grade you recieved?
Original post by Confusionn
What do you mean by strong undergrad? Do you mean the institution you did it at or the grade you recieved?

Both. A solid master's can go some way to mitigating this if you don't have this background, but would still be quite difficult to get onto a top PhD course with funding.
Reply 6
Both. A solid master's can go some way to mitigating this if you don't have this background, but would still be quite difficult to get onto a top PhD course with funding.

Ok, so a top uni or a Russell Group and a 2:1 or above?
Reply 7

Can having done a foundation year affect getting onto a top PhD course - with and without funding?
(edited 7 months ago)
Ok, so a top uni or a Russell Group and a 2:1 or above?

There's not some hard and fast rule on this kind of thing, I've seen people take lots of different routes. Whether it was on my economics PhD program, or friends who attended ones at other top UK unis, I think you'd really be wanting to do your master's at one of LSE, Cambridge, Oxford, UCL or Warwick.

Whether you do your undergrad at a top5 isn't super crucial, I've seen lots come from undergrads at places like Manchester, Edinburgh, Nottingham, Bristol, etc. But it was pretty rare to see people on the good PhD programs who didn't do their master's at top 5 unis. And this isn't shocking because quite a large proportion of PhD students stay at their MSc institution (probably because the unis know how good they are and they've built relationships with profs).

For PhD admissions, while they do care about your undergrad grade, it's not super super important, and your grade is take within the context of the quality of course you got it on. PhD admissions is much more about your research experience, whether that be dissertations, working papers or RA experience. It's also about whether your research interests closely match the expertise of any of the profs that are taking on new PhD students. Undergrad grades are fine, but they only really care about your grades in so far that it signals whether you'll be able to keep up with the coursework. But really anyone going into academia should be going for firsts and distinctions anyway.
Can having done a foundation year affect getting onto a top PhD course - with and without funding?

I've never met anyone who's done a uni foundation year and attended a top PhD course, so I've got no idea. I think if you did well in your undergrad degree and this is at a decent institution, then get onto a top MSc course, I can't imagine PhD admissions teams will care too much about a foundation year if you've got good uni grades and research experience & skills.
Reply 9
There's not some hard and fast rule on this kind of thing, I've seen people take lots of different routes. Whether it was on my economics PhD program, or friends who attended ones at other top UK unis, I think you'd really be wanting to do your master's at one of LSE, Cambridge, Oxford, UCL or Warwick.

Whether you do your undergrad at a top5 isn't super crucial, I've seen lots come from undergrads at places like Manchester, Edinburgh, Nottingham, Bristol, etc. But it was pretty rare to see people on the good PhD programs who didn't do their master's at top 5 unis. And this isn't shocking because quite a large proportion of PhD students stay at their MSc institution (probably because the unis know how good they are and they've built relationships with profs).

For PhD admissions, while they do care about your undergrad grade, it's not super super important, and your grade is take within the context of the quality of course you got it on. PhD admissions is much more about your research experience, whether that be dissertations, working papers or RA experience. It's also about whether your research interests closely match the expertise of any of the profs that are taking on new PhD students. Undergrad grades are fine, but they only really care about your grades in so far that it signals whether you'll be able to keep up with the coursework. But really anyone going into academia should be going for firsts and distinctions anyway.

I've never met anyone who's done a uni foundation year and attended a top PhD course, so I've got no idea. I think if you did well in your undergrad degree and this is at a decent institution, then get onto a top MSc course, I can't imagine PhD admissions teams will care too much about a foundation year if you've got good uni grades and research experience & skills.

Would Cardiff University be considered a good undegraduate university? It is an RG and has good research.

Also, do you think you haven’t encountered many people doing a PHD who did a found yr because people who do a found yr (because they didn’t get the grades NOT because they didn’t have the correct subjects) are less likely to want to go into academia or do you think there’s an equal rate of people who did a foundation year applying to do PHDs but are more likely to get rejected (whether this is because OF the foundation year or because they’re less likely to meet academic reqs for PHDs)? Or maybe people who did foundation years and are doing a PHD don’t mention it because they’re in academia?

There’s a youtuber I watch named Vee Kathivu who did a Lady Margaret Hall foundation year at Oxford and then progressed onto a humanities degree at Oxford. She then went on to do a Master’s of education (I believe) at Harvard and now she is doing a PHD at Claremont University in California. I don’t know if she is a rare case or its more common than you think?
Would Cardiff University be considered a good undegraduate university? It is an RG and has good research.

Also, do you think you haven’t encountered many people doing a PHD who did a found yr because people who do a found yr (because they didn’t get the grades NOT because they didn’t have the correct subjects) are less likely to want to go into academia or do you think there’s an equal rate of people who did a foundation year applying to do PHDs but are more likely to get rejected (whether this is because OF the foundation year or because they’re less likely to meet academic reqs for PHDs)? Or maybe people who did foundation years and are doing a PHD don’t mention it because they’re in academia?

There’s a youtuber I watch named Vee Kathivu who did a Lady Margaret Hall foundation year at Oxford and then progressed onto a humanities degree at Oxford. She then went on to do a Master’s of education (I believe) at Harvard and now she is doing a PHD at Claremont University in California. I don’t know if she is a rare case or its more common than you think?

I mean, if I'm being completely honest, Cardiff probably wasn't one of the universities I had in mind when thinking about solid undergrad economics degrees. This isn't to say it's not decent, more that I never really hear about people from there in academia or the economics industry. Being Russell Group makes no difference, some non-RG unis are very strong like Bath and St Andrews. The level of research is a lot more complicated than any rankings suggest and it's massively skewed towards the top few unis).

It's very crude, and this is just my opinion based off my experiences but I generally group undergrad economics degrees into the following categories, might be forgetting some (tho worth noting that I don't see unis in the same tiers as equal and many are probably between certain tiers, and certain economics courses at same uni could be in a different tier):

Tier 1: Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Oxford, Warwick

Tier 2: Nottingham, Edinburgh, Bath, Bristol, Durham, St Andrews, Kings (for industry, kings for academia is probably tier 2.5 for now).

Tier 3: Manchester, York, Sheffield, QMUL, Exeter, Glasgow, Birmingham, Leeds, Newcastle, Sussex, Glasgow, Cardiff, Lancaster, etc.

Tier 4: others

So when I meant solid undergrad background, was more meaning T1/T2/and some of the much stronger T3 ones. Not sure I'd put Cardiff in that group personally.

We can debate the causality behind the lack of foundation degree people I've experienced on PhD programs and in the economics industry until the sun goes down. But I said I had no idea why because I think it's probably a combination of about half a dozen factors, and I've got no idea of each's importance/contribution to the outcome.

I would guess it's some function of: 1) on the whole, not many people do foundation years, so there's unlikely to be many in the narrow domain of top PhD programs. 2) Generally people with great grades don't do them, and given there's probably a reasonably strong relationship between great school grades and success in academia, not shocking. 3) maybe people who've essentially done an extra year of undergrad don't want to stomach the cost of doing a master's too in order to then apply for a PhD, whether that be because of time or cost factors. 4) maybe people don't mention it, but I doubt this is a significant factor at all. 5) not many top unis offer foundation years for economics and given strong relationship between good undergrad uni and better PhD prospects, not shocking I've not encountered many.

I'm not really sure I understand why you've shared an example of somebody doing a completely different subject? I think the important point is that some of the top unis don't offer a foundation degree in economics. For example, afaict Oxford only offer one in PPE rather than its more economics focused E+M degree, Cambridge doesn't offer one in economics, LSE doesn't either, UCL and Warwick does but only for international students. So I don't think it's quite as a simple as looking at one example from a different subject. That said, I personally think that if you get on a Tier 1/2/better T3 course, whether it's via foundation or not wouldn't play a notable role in getting onto a good PhD course - other factors would make a much larger difference

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending