The Student Room Group

What's the biggest argument you've ever had over monopoly?

Monopoly...the traditional family game to play to spend time together actually talking rather than sitting on screens :laugh:
It pretty much inevitably ends in an argument of some sort and usually someone walking off...

So let's hear the biggest arguments over monopoly with your family or friends!

My brother can't cope with not winning so has turned the board upside down a few times, which is pretty disastrous when you have no clue who was where or how many houses/hotels people had, and my sister has walked off a few times as someone else has brought the third one of her favourite sets (the oranges and pinks :lol:) but I'm sure people here have much worse stories to share than those!

Scroll to see replies

I'm a veteran of the Giant Monopoly game of 2016. I don't recall any arguments as such, only a unanimous agreement that it should never be allowed to happen again.
Original post by Lemur14
Monopoly...the traditional family game to play to spend time together actually talking rather than sitting on screens :laugh:
It pretty much inevitably ends in an argument of some sort and usually someone walking off...

My brother can't cope with not winning so has turned the board upside down a few times, which is pretty disastrous when you have no clue who was where or how many houses/hotels people had, and my sister has walked off a few times as someone else has brought the third one of her favourite sets (the oranges and pinks :lol:) but I'm sure people here have much worse stories to share than those!

The only disagreement i've ever had is what free parking is for.
Original post by Lemur14

When I refused to buy a property becoause I thought it was crap, my sister shouted at me quite badly saying that I should buy it as it will allow me to buy hotels and do well. I was upset.
Reply 4
I got disowned from my family.
me and my sister used to play it a lot with our family/friend when we were younger (before we found better games to play)

No arguments really, we both knew the rules, and neither of us cheats, so whats their to argue over?

Mainly we just enjoyed crushing those friends/family who had not learned the most optimum way to play yet.

--

These days we still play board games together every time I am back in the UK.. but its rarely monopoly. Its just to long, and to simple - its a beatable game, with an optimum path, and if two people both know the optimum path, then its just luck who comes out on top. There are far better family games, that do not just rely on luck and knowing a single strategy to win.

My personal favourite light-family game is 'survive' - simple premis that can be explained in seconds.. your on an island, its collapsing into the ocean, escape quickly! and very simple game-play that any family member can learn. But it has that ruthless edge that makes family games so fun, that part where you can destroy/kill your family if you please.
"I WANT THE DOG!"
"No, I WANT THE DOG!"
"THAT'S NOT WHAT FREE PARKING IS FOR!"
"Mum, you landed on Mayfair"
"Screw you I wanted Kings cross!"
"You DIDN'T GIVE ME MMY START MONEY!"
I've never understood the Free Parking issue... the game comes with instructions, right? :p:
Reply 8
Brother flipped the board cos he’s a loser

Original post by AngryJellyfish
I've never understood the Free Parking issue... the game comes with instructions, right? :p:

It is supposed to do nothing.

Some people adopt house rules in which any tax instead of going to the bank is placed in the centre of the board. Anyone who lands on free parking picks up whatever amount of tax there is.
I'm a veteran of the Giant Monopoly game of 2016. I don't recall any arguments as such, only a unanimous agreement that it should never be allowed to happen again.

:rofl: I've read about that... By the sounds of it you were too bored to argue :lol:
Original post by claireestelle
The only disagreement i've ever had is what free parking is for.

So what's the answer? :wink:
Original post by aspire.1a
When I refused to buy a property becoause I thought it was crap, my sister shouted at me quite badly saying that I should buy it as it will allow me to buy hotels and do well. I was upset.

That sounds odd... Surely it would be in her favour for you not to buy it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it should just be a space where nothing happens whereas my husband thinks you should get the jail money when you land there.
Original post by UWS
I got disowned from my family.

:lol: What did you do?
Original post by fallen_acorns
me and my sister used to play it a lot with our family/friend when we were younger (before we found better games to play)

No arguments really, we both knew the rules, and neither of us cheats, so whats their to argue over?

Mainly we just enjoyed crushing those friends/family who had not learned the most optimum way to play yet.

Anything that isn't under a strict rule...which counter etc.
Or how it's not fair that...
And my sister's favourite tactic of get as many ones as possible then give them all to my brother to wind him up...that one caused many arguments!
There's definitely a lot of luck involved though, i've managed before to go twice round the board without landing on a property...which is good at the end, but bad at the beginning of course.
Original post by bluebells1
"I WANT THE DOG!"
"No, I WANT THE DOG!"
"THAT'S NOT WHAT FREE PARKING IS FOR!"
"Mum, you landed on Mayfair"
"Screw you I wanted Kings cross!"
"You DIDN'T GIVE ME MMY START MONEY!"

:rofl: We get that a lot...especially arguments over the dog (which both my siblings really want!)

But why would you follow the instructions :confused: No fun that way :tongue:
Original post by S.G.
Brother flipped the board cos he’s a loser

:lol:
I think it should just be a space where nothing happens whereas my husband thinks you should get the jail money when you land there.

Nothing happens when you land there in our house...practically every other square you end up paying out money so it's an escape from that! Is jail money not paid to the bank?
Original post by Lemur14
:lol: What did you do?

Anything that isn't under a strict rule...which counter etc.
Or how it's not fair that...
And my sister's favourite tactic of get as many ones as possible then give them all to my brother to wind him up...that one caused many arguments!
There's definitely a lot of luck involved though, i've managed before to go twice round the board without landing on a property...which is good at the end, but bad at the beginning of course.

:rofl: We get that a lot...especially arguments over the dog (which both my siblings really want!)

But why would you follow the instructions :confused: No fun that way :tongue:

:lol:

Nothing happens when you land there in our house...practically every other square you end up paying out money so it's an escape from that! Is jail money not paid to the bank?

i say jail money should be but mrclaireestelle say stick it in the middle of the board
i say jail money should be but mrclaireestelle say stick it in the middle of the board

Pretty sure that's the rule in junior monopoly :giggle: Proper monopoly though...:nope:
Original post by Lemur14
Pretty sure that's the rule in junior monopoly :giggle: Proper monopoly though...:nope:

I can't remember how junior varies I didn't play it much.
I can't remember how junior varies I didn't play it much.

Me either tbh...but we did used to play a version of monopoly with that rule and that's the only other version I can think of that I've played so I'm guessing it's that!
Original post by Lemur14
:rofl: I've read about that... By the sounds of it you were too bored to argue :lol:

That sounds odd... Surely it would be in her favour for you not to buy it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

basically I played the underground version of monoply and u knw the station elephant and castle? I refused to buy the sation because I felt that the station is crap and I dont want to buy something that is crap. So when I landed on that station I told her I dont want to buy it coz its crap and she told me off, literally shouted at me . She told me to buy it because its for my benefit, if someone else were to buy it and then put hotels on that station I would suffer if I would land on it
What do you mean you won't give me a blow job?
Original post by aspire.1a
basically I played the underground version of monoply and u knw the station elephant and castle? I refused to buy the sation because I felt that the station is crap and I dont want to buy something that is crap. So when I landed on that station I told her I dont want to buy it coz its crap and she told me off, literally shouted at me . She told me to buy it because its for my benefit, if someone else were to buy it and then put hotels on that station I would suffer if I would land on it

:lol: that does sound odd...why wasn't she just happy you didn't have another way to make money if she landed on it :confused:
Original post by Lemur14
:lol: that does sound odd...why wasn't she just happy you didn't have another way to make money if she landed on it :confused:

shes older than me I cant do anything

Quick Reply

Latest