The Student Room Group

second year uni house rooms

hello :smile: im in a slight dilemma and was looking for some advice on how to go about it? basically i would ideally like the biggest room in the house and of course i have my reasons for it but i just feel a bit spoilt/selfish still, although i have mentioned to my housemates before that the room size is the only thing that matters for me! im just not sure how to bring it up or if it's too soon, i know i should be straightforward with it but im bad at putting my foot down unfortunately and don't want to cause any disputes :frown: any help is really appreciated!
Original post by Anonymous #1
hello :smile: im in a slight dilemma and was looking for some advice on how to go about it? basically i would ideally like the biggest room in the house and of course i have my reasons for it but i just feel a bit spoilt/selfish still, although i have mentioned to my housemates before that the room size is the only thing that matters for me! im just not sure how to bring it up or if it's too soon, i know i should be straightforward with it but im bad at putting my foot down unfortunately and don't want to cause any disputes :frown: any help is really appreciated!
Hi!

Honestly, I don't think this should be a problem. Normally, when renting out a flat if the rooms are noticeably different in size or one has an en-suite etc. then you would just pay slightly more of the rent to make it fair - not everyone does this but I find it does eliminate some arguments and generally everyone seems happy with the outcome.

As for bringing it up with your friends, I'd just mention to them that you've started looking for places / want to start planning and you'd ideally like to find somewhere with x, y, z things in it (ie. a big room because of your reasons) and then ask them if they have any requirements too so everyone feels heard.

If one of your friends also wants the biggest room I wouldn't bother deciding just yet, if it was me I'd just say okay we'll have a look and see which rooms we both like the best when we find somewhere. At least you'll then know where you stand and to be honest, the rooms will probably be a very similar size.

I hope this helps a little and if you have any other questions please feel free to ask!

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

How much extra are you prepared to pay for the biggest room?
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
How much extra are you prepared to pay for the biggest room?

yes i've thought about this too but that's also another issue, the house we got is at my maximum budget and they're aware of this, so i don't think i can pay extra if it comes to that, im just hoping they can be understanding but we'll see what happens :iiam:
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
If everyone agrees that the biggest room pays more and you can't afford it then you won't get it. If it's agreed that everyone pays the same then it's either down to persuasion or drawing lots.
yeah i know thanks. i just have to see what the situation with our house is i guess 👍

Hi there,

Usually there are ways to sort things like this out to avoid any arguments or disagreements! If you would be willing to pay more then explain this to them along with the reasons for you wanting the bigger room and hopefully they will understand! If you're going to pay more then it shouldn't be an issue as this is pretty normal and makes sense that they would be happy with this!

If you are not willing to pay any more for the room then they may disagree with you having the room as they may also have reasons for wanting it too. In my experience, if nobody wants to pay more for a specific room, it's better to do it a fair way like drawing lots as this avoids any awkwardness or tension and it is completely fair!

I would say just talk to them, explain your reasoning but also be willing to do it in a fair way if they want to do this. If nobody else is bothered then it will be fine but you are better off asking them and bringing it up now to avoid any disagreements!

Hope this helps,

Lucy -SHU student ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending