The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Don’t come here.

Dear Past Self,

You’ll be reading this with a number of different options ahead of you. Don’t come here. I repeat, do not come here.

You will be lured in with the brand, top 20 in the world, 4th oldest English university yada yada. Behind that glossy brochure lies an institution stuck in the past.

Your first disappointment will be despite you putting your preferred accommodation anywhere but Stratford. You get Stratford. But hey why should you get a preference of where you pay £185+pw to live. Don’t worry you’ll later visit Stamford Street and feel sorry for the prisoners who got allocated there, although I think prisoners get more windows and larger rooms in fact.

So now you’re in, welcome to one of the worst Russel Group universities for student enjoyment. Anything positive you suggest, can and will get shut down by Kings’ bureaucracy.

Speaking of bureaucracy, it’s not even good bureaucracy, it’s so badly organised they would struggle to organise a piss up in a pub. There is no clear guidance on assessments and it’s largely up to the lecturers discretion. If the work arrives 1 minute past deadline or even on the deadline it’s capped at a pass (lower than a 2:2) Your exceedingly high tuition fees go toward shockingly few contact hours. That’s if your lecturers actually bother to turn up. They will also take a month to mark your work so you have less time to improve before the next assessment.

There’s is no real sense of camaraderie as everything is so far spread over London and the Union doesn’t even have a nightclub. Why don’t you email the SU officers about this? (You wont get a reply)

So it’s fine, you’ll teach yourself, go to the library and hit the books. Oh wait, King’s didn’t bother to email you after you renewed your book last. You’ve now been fined because living in London isn’t expensive enough! Enjoy. The library is also often kept at just above the legal temperature limit, so enjoy wearing two jumpers and a scalf in there.

Your iPhone and Macs won’t connect to the WiFi for four days, because this is a perfectly acceptable level of service for Kings.

It is no secret that King’s has a problem with student enjoyment. Too often than not, it feels we’re battling against the administration rather than it working with, or for us. They don’t give a damn and nothing is being done by King’s to address this lack of student enjoyment. They know this is a problem and choose to ignore it. Just keep the money coming.

The attitude of staff verges on contempt, you are the silly student and I am the teacher, therefore, everything I say is correct. There is no collaborative approach, challenging your opinions to get you to intellectually develop. It’s not about empowering you as the student or learner. Simply the lecturers are always 100% correct any dissenting opinion is incorrect. Student Reps suggestions for improvements are simply dismissed.

Do yourself a favour go elsewhere. Don’t listen to the paid off tour guide (Yes Kings is paying them to say sweet things about the uni) Many people seeing you will be wanting to tell you this real advice. Go elsewhere.

Yours,

Future self

Scroll to see replies

Don’t come here.

Dear Past Self,

You’ll be reading this with a number of different options ahead of you. Don’t come here. I repeat, do not come here.

You will be lured in with the brand, top 20 in the world, 4th oldest English university yada yada. Behind that glossy brochure lies an institution stuck in the past.

Your first disappointment will be despite you putting your preferred accommodation anywhere but Stratford. You get Stratford. But hey why should you get a preference of where you pay £185+pw to live. Don’t worry you’ll later visit Stamford Street and feel sorry for the prisoners who got allocated there, although I think prisoners get more windows and larger rooms in fact.

So now you’re in, welcome to one of the worst Russel Group universities for student enjoyment. Anything positive you suggest, can and will get shut down by Kings’ bureaucracy.

Speaking of bureaucracy, it’s not even good bureaucracy, it’s so badly organised they would struggle to organise a piss up in a pub. There is no clear guidance on assessments and it’s largely up to the lecturers discretion. If the work arrives 1 minute past deadline or even on the deadline it’s capped at a pass (lower than a 2:2) Your exceedingly high tuition fees go toward shockingly few contact hours. That’s if your lecturers actually bother to turn up. They will also take a month to mark your work so you have less time to improve before the next assessment.

There’s is no real sense of camaraderie as everything is so far spread over London and the Union doesn’t even have a nightclub. Why don’t you email the SU officers about this? (You wont get a reply)

So it’s fine, you’ll teach yourself, go to the library and hit the books. Oh wait, King’s didn’t bother to email you after you renewed your book last. You’ve now been fined because living in London isn’t expensive enough! Enjoy. The library is also often kept at just above the legal temperature limit, so enjoy wearing two jumpers and a scalf in there.

Your iPhone and Macs won’t connect to the WiFi for four days, because this is a perfectly acceptable level of service for Kings.

It is no secret that King’s has a problem with student enjoyment. Too often than not, it feels we’re battling against the administration rather than it working with, or for us. They don’t give a damn and nothing is being done by King’s to address this lack of student enjoyment. They know this is a problem and choose to ignore it. Just keep the money coming.

The attitude of staff verges on contempt, you are the silly student and I am the teacher, therefore, everything I say is correct. There is no collaborative approach, challenging your opinions to get you to intellectually develop. It’s not about empowering you as the student or learner. Simply the lecturers are always 100% correct any dissenting opinion is incorrect. Student Reps suggestions for improvements are simply dismissed.

Do yourself a favour go elsewhere. Don’t listen to the paid off tour guide (Yes Kings is paying them to say sweet things about the uni) Many people seeing you will be wanting to tell you this real advice. Go elsewhere.

Yours,

Future self
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Of course, you are freely welcome to have an opinion. However, I don't think much of what you said is different to any other university. I also don't think writing it on a student forum - where students are already anxious about going to uni will do much help. You should visit your union and voice your concerns.

"Your first disappointment will be despite you putting your preferred accommodation anywhere but Stratford. You get Stratford. But hey why should you get a preference of where you pay £185+pw to live. Don’t worry you’ll later visit Stamford Street and feel sorry for the prisoners who got allocated there, although I think prisoners get more windows and larger rooms in fact." - This happens to SO many students, it's not only you, nor is it not only King's college that can't give all students their preferred accommodation.

"If the work arrives 1 minute past deadline or even on the deadline it’s capped at a pass (lower than a 2:2) Your exceedingly high tuition fees go toward shockingly few contact hours. That’s if your lecturers actually bother to turn up. They will also take a month to mark your work so you have less time to improve before the next assessment." - This is also the same for other universities, not only King’s. And to be honest, it is your own fault if you hand in your work late.

“There’s is no real sense of camaraderie as everything is so far spread over London and the Union doesn’t even have a nightclub. Why don’t you email the SU officers about this?” You’re in London, for God’s sake. There’s plenty of clubs, and plenty of societies.

“Don’t listen to the paid off tour guide (Yes Kings is paying them to say sweet things about the uni)” So do other universities.

A lot of your concerns are universal to MANY universities, not just King’s. And I wanted to point this out because many students are worried about going to university already. I really believe you should go to your union and tell them your concerns. I understand that uni isn’t everything people expect it to be but I also believe it is down to yourself to try and make it better, no one is going to baby you. You’re going to have to make the effort to get work in on time, join societies etc. I know it’s a lot a money we’re paying for university but for the moment, that’s just how it is.

(Disclaimer: I do not go to King's, I go to another RG university in the UK and can relate to a lot of things OP has said. I do have a place for next year).
Original post by imherpacifier
Of course, you are freely welcome to have an opinion. However, I don't think much of what you said is different to any other university. I also don't think writing it on a student forum - where students are already anxious about going to uni will do much help. You should visit your union and voice your concerns.

"Your first disappointment will be despite you putting your preferred accommodation anywhere but Stratford. You get Stratford. But hey why should you get a preference of where you pay £185+pw to live. Don’t worry you’ll later visit Stamford Street and feel sorry for the prisoners who got allocated there, although I think prisoners get more windows and larger rooms in fact." - This happens to SO many students, it's not only you, nor is it not only King's college that can't give all students their preferred accommodation.

"If the work arrives 1 minute past deadline or even on the deadline it’s capped at a pass (lower than a 2:2) Your exceedingly high tuition fees go toward shockingly few contact hours. That’s if your lecturers actually bother to turn up. They will also take a month to mark your work so you have less time to improve before the next assessment." - This is also the same for other universities, not only King’s. And to be honest, it is your own fault if you hand in your work late.

“There’s is no real sense of camaraderie as everything is so far spread over London and the Union doesn’t even have a nightclub. Why don’t you email the SU officers about this?” You’re in London, for God’s sake. There’s plenty of clubs, and plenty of societies.

“Don’t listen to the paid off tour guide (Yes Kings is paying them to say sweet things about the uni)” So do other universities.

A lot of your concerns are universal to MANY universities, not just King’s. And I wanted to point this out because many students are worried about going to university already. I really believe you should go to your union and tell them your concerns. I understand that uni isn’t everything people expect it to be but I also believe it is down to yourself to try and make it better, no one is going to baby you. You’re going to have to make the effort to get work in on time, join societies etc. I know it’s a lot a money we’re paying for university but for the moment, that’s just how it is.

(Disclaimer: I do not go to King's, I go to another RG university in the UK and can relate to a lot of things OP has said. I do have a place for next year).

Original post by imherpacifier

Thank you for the hypotheticals. It has gotten to the stage where I feel morally obliged to pass on my friends and my dissatisfaction, as the Administration(including the union) is so impotent at tackling student enjoyment.

Having experience of other RG university’s accommodation allocation it’s done much, much better. You get more preference. It’s the beginning of not being listened to by the bureaucracy that is Kings. You’re left feeling treated like a cash cow.

Not true most RG unis don’t implement such draconian policies. Even LSE doesn’t fine its students.

London is part of the problem, as a fellow RGer you’ve probably experienced the communal feel of campus living. You actually feel part of a community. In London you're just another anonymous face in the crowd. If you want to club with locals and pay £15 entry, £10 a cocktail and £2 for the cloakroom go right ahead.

I can only level with you:
“I understand that uni isn’t everything people expect it to be but I also believe it is down to yourself to try and make it better” This was exactly me before Kings but when every suggestion for improvement you put forward gets stonewalled. The administration quickly beats it out of you and you too will be left feeling exasperated.

It’s not just me and it’s not a recent problem. It’s just so badly organised.
https://thetab.com/uk/kings/2016/08/10/kings-ranked-second-worst-uni-student-satisfaction-uk-9532

This has been an issue since at least 2014 you can google Kings student satisfaction. If it hasn’t changed in 4 years, I’m not going to hold my breath...
Original post by NatalieAnn99
Sorry my webpage failed to show the message

They just don’t care about their students or student opinion’s and treat both as a nuisance.
Original post by AKingsScholar
despite you putting your preferred accommodation anywhere but Stratford. You get Stratford. But hey why should you get a preference

That's just how life is. You won't always get your number 1 spot. I was told accommodation at my uni was prioritised for first years, specifically those coming from more than a 5 mile radius from the uni (I'm 200 miles away), yet on the day it came to booking accommodation, I found out it actually went first to international students, disabled students, returning students and unconditional offer holders. So much for being prioritised (totally understand international and disabled being prioritised too), but hey that's life.

If the work arrives 1 minute past deadline or even on the deadline it’s capped at a pass (lower than a 2:2)

Because it's a deadline. There has to be a cut off at some point. Why not just be organised and get your work done way before the deadline?

They will also take a month to mark your work so you have less time to improve before the next assessment.

4 weeks / 1 month is standard time to mark assessments.

So it’s fine, you’ll teach yourself

Lecturers won't spoon feed you.

King’s didn’t bother to email you after you renewed your book last. You’ve now been fined

Your responsibility to keep track of dates.
Original post by DrawTheLine
That's just how life is. You won't always get your number 1 spot. I was told accommodation at my uni was prioritised for first years, specifically those coming from more than a 5 mile radius from the uni (I'm 200 miles away), yet on the day it came to booking accommodation, I found out it actually went first to international students, disabled students, returning students and unconditional offer holders. So much for being prioritised (totally understand international and disabled being prioritised too), but hey that's life.

Because it's a deadline. There has to be a cut off at some point. Why not just be organised and get your work done way before the deadline?

4 weeks / 1 month is standard time to mark assessments.

Lecturers won't spoon feed you.

Your responsibility to keep track of dates.

1. Other universities do it better you at least get to express a preference in terms of I wouldn’t mind living here and, absolutely not.

2. Ad hominem. Other universities don’t have the draconian cliff edge system where work on deadline is marked late with only a pass possible, it’s not meritocratic.

3. My experience from multiple universities has been two weeks. A month down the line you’ve already submitted another essay or two and potentially made the same mistakes repeatedly, with no time to correct:

4. I expect lecturers to turn up to lectures I’m paying for, this is not spoonfeeding.

5. When you have 3-5 books out which don’t renew on a regular day but instead renew one week at a time from renewal, have fun keeping track. It’s a simple case of a reminder email. So either you renew regularly on the same day every time and chance missing the renewal deadline, or you renew early on different days each time and keep track of multiple return times/days. Other libraries have stopped fining students, Kings continue to rake in millions from students.
(edited 6 years ago)
So we had an open day yesterday. Poor students didn’t see the state of the campus the previous 2 days.

1. Course Rep recommended anonymous marking for all assessed work as good academic practice. This was shot down, “how will we know who’s work is who’s!?” :/

2. We were informed we may not have any dissertation meetings in April+May before our June dissertation deadline.

3. Everyone asked to set clear marking expectations rather than just leaving it to the students to preempt how things are marked. Having A clear marking scheme was rejected.

4. Half the class was locked out a lecture because King’s scheduled a 6PM lecture in a building that is closed and locked at 6PM.

A lot of us had to really bite our tongues how bad it is, rather than the glossy brochure veneer that was presented on your open day.
cut me with this edge
So we had an open day yesterday. Poor students didn’t see the state of the campus the previous 2 days.

1. Course Rep recommended anonymous marking for all assessed work as good academic practice. This was shot down, “how will we know who’s work is who’s!?” :/

2. We were informed we may not have any dissertation meetings in April+May before our June dissertation deadline.

3. Everyone asked to set clear marking expectations rather than just leaving it to the students to preempt how things are marked. Having A clear marking scheme was rejected.

4. Half the class was locked out a lecture because King’s scheduled a 6PM lecture in a building that is closed and locked at 6PM.

A lot of us had to really bite our tongues how bad it is, rather than the glossy brochure veneer that was presented on your open day.

Ok, I went on the Open Day yesterday. It looked really good from the outside in my opinion. Would you honestly not recommend coming to KCL because after the open day I was feeling pretty close to choosing it as my firm option?!
Original post by irapplicant99
Ok, I went on the Open Day yesterday. It looked really good from the outside in my opinion. Would you honestly not recommend coming to KCL because after the open day I was feeling pretty close to choosing it as my firm option?!

Look at the other replies and see what other people have said. Don't be put off by someone anonymous on the internet. If you liked it you liked it. Your time at uni will be different to what other people's times are.

At every uni, there will always be someone that didn't enjoy it and you will always find 'problems' in every uni you search for.

I agree, I can’t decide for you. But do your research before deciding if this is somewhere you want to spend 3 years of your life.

https://www.kclsu.org/betterheating/ If they can’t be bothered to heat the buildings properly, how much do you think they really care about their students?
Original post by Sanjith Hegde123
cut me with this edge

Don’t know what this means sorry. Update on King’s nonsense. The WiFi hasn’t been working properly these past two days, because who needs WiFi when you’re paying £9k+

Also our essays didn’t come back on the 15 March and we’ve found out they’re getting us them back 29 March, when we have our final essay deadline tomorrow. How are we supposed to use this feedback to improve tomorrow’s essay? It’s the last essay due.
Holy crap. Everything you've been complaining about literally happens at EVERY university. So the wifi doesn't work sometimes, so the rooms are cold sometimes, so you get marked work back late. As well as being a brat, you're also making other prospective students that haven't been to university before very anxious.
I am at another university and I can tell you, and future readers of this thread, that everything you've mentioned has happened at my uni. Yes, we're paying a lot of money for it but you know what? You get on with it and you deal with it, or bring it up with someone important. Stop complaining on an internet forum and actually do something about it.
All you're doing here is making people anxious.
I'd like to add the minuscule things you're complaining about, someone else would happily take your place.
Jesus Christ, enjoy being a student while you can before you're plunged into the real world, with real issues.
When you have had friends hospitalised from anxiety related to Kings’ mismanagement you can reply here. When you have friends getting into commercial debt with a bank because King’s didn’t inform them they could pay in instalments let me know.

If this prevents that happening to one person it’ll be justified. I literally don’t want anyone to have to go through what my friends and I have been.

There are so many other good RG universities which people actually enjoy going to. In the real world you would get a refund and not put up with it all, that’s the difference. You’re not locked into three years of your life. Less than one is more than enough to leave you exasperated.
Original post by Volibear
I could say the exact same thing about UCL but at the end of the day, for most things, you need to accept responsibility for yourself. You're not at school, universities are businesses. As long as you pay your tuition fees, they don't care about you. The only person who can care about you is yourself. You won't be there forever. Just get through it and then move on. Leave bad feedback in the NUS survey if you must but complaining on TSR won't get you anywhere and if people can't be bothered to do decent research into prospective universities, and then get disappointed, that's their own fault.

Yeah that’s a shame. There’s something about London universities. Imperial does quite well though!

You’re right it is a business and that’s why a group of us are getting a refund having instructed.

I have no outlet, I’ve tried with kcl, it is as you say, you’re right, they just don’t care.

I stupidly read on TSR and did my research. That’s why I’m sending the letter to me in future haha so as to not let someone make the same mistake twice.

I tried to use another University of London library and was refused, the brochure thing about being able to use each other’s libraries is simply untrue. I had more luck with Sconul.
Yeah that’s a shame. There’s something about London universities. Imperial does quite well though!

You’re right it is a business and that’s why a group of us are getting a refund having instructed.

I have no outlet, I’ve tried with kcl, it is as you say, you’re right, they just don’t care.

I stupidly read on TSR and did my research. That’s why I’m sending the letter to me in future haha so as to not let someone make the same mistake twice.

I tried to use another University of London library and was refused, the brochure thing about being able to use each other’s libraries is simply untrue. I had more luck with Sconul.

Thanks for your advice I'm going to Bristol instead!
Thanks for your advice I'm going to Bristol instead!

You’ll have a fantastic time! I have a friend there and he’s thoroughly enjoying it!
I agree, I can’t decide for you. But do your research before deciding if this is somewhere you want to spend 3 years of your life.

https://www.kclsu.org/betterheating/ If they can’t be bothered to heat the buildings properly, how much do you think they really care about their students?

Haha, I went to another RG university and they didn't even bother to heat the library. They had the cheek to supply gross blankets to try and make up for it.

Pretty sure that is a universal uni issue!
Reply 19
Whilst you are entitled to having and sharing your opinion about not just KCL (this is not potassium chloride by the way), but anything else for that matter, I don’t think you should consider it right to deter others from experiencing something that might be different to your own. University life is a subjective experience; what works for you might not work for others. Similarly, what doesn’t work for you might work for others. Just a suggestion; refrain from acting like some sort of authority. Let people formulate their own independent opinions.

Quick Reply

Latest