The Student Room Group

GCSEs urgent

Does anybody know how I can get from a level 6 in English to 8/9 before gcse come in a month please help
Reply 1
From my experience and asking teachers, what seems to be capping me personally at a grade 6 (for language) is the final question, i usually get around 25 26 marks on that question, and i have been told that the reason is im not using enough, or advanced enough, punctuation, such as colons, semi colons, hyphens and etcetera. you could also check your exam boards answer objectives (AO's) or go through the exam mark scheme. all of it can be found with a simple google search
Reply 2
Original post by cryssan
From my experience and asking teachers, what seems to be capping me personally at a grade 6 (for language) is the final question, i usually get around 25 26 marks on that question, and i have been told that the reason is im not using enough, or advanced enough, punctuation, such as colons, semi colons, hyphens and etcetera. you could also check your exam boards answer objectives (AO's) or go through the exam mark scheme. all of it can be found with a simple google search

Okay thank you very much
Reply 3
For literature, all i can honestly suggest is to go over the poems and review annotations. I seriously recommend the site www.genius.com as it is a song lyric analyser, however most poems are also, really deeply annotated.
You can also use the mark scheme too
Reply 4
Original post by cryssan
For literature, all i can honestly suggest is to go over the poems and review annotations. I seriously recommend the site www.genius.com as it is a song lyric analyser, however most poems are also, really deeply annotated.
You can also use the mark scheme too

Thank you very much honestly also do you think the mark scheme is helpful as it’s always saying the same things
Reply 5
Original post by kasacolx
Thank you very much honestly also do you think the mark scheme is helpful as it’s always saying the same things

The mark scheme is important purely due to the fact that it is what the examiner will use to make your paper, it is their guideline, so if you know what they are looking for, then you know what to write
Reply 6
Original post by cryssan
The mark scheme is important purely due to the fact that it is what the examiner will use to make your paper, it is their guideline, so if you know what they are looking for, then you know what to write

Okay do you know where I can find very detailed ones because the ones I find are always the same so I don’t bother
Reply 7
Original post by kasacolx
Okay do you know where I can find very detailed ones because the ones I find are always the same so I don’t bother

It should be on the website of the exam board the english department in your school is under.
simply google the exam board, for example Edexcel would be:

edexcel english language mark scheme

and doing this i came across this:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/English%20Language/2015/specification-and-sample-assesment/GCSE-English-Lang-SAMs.pdf

Which is an exam paper and the mark scheme for it
Reply 8
Original post by cryssan
It should be on the website of the exam board the english department in your school is under.
simply google the exam board, for example Edexcel would be:

edexcel english language mark scheme

and doing this i came across this:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/English%20Language/2015/specification-and-sample-assesment/GCSE-English-Lang-SAMs.pdf

Which is an exam paper and the mark scheme for it

Oh thank you very much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending