The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Economics applicants 2019

Hey, I decided to start an Economics thread for KCL, is anyone interested in applying?

Scroll to see replies

Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Good morning,

I will be applying in October for Economics and PPE at King's. I was a little hesitant due to how new the course was compared to other Uni's but I just really liked the Uni! Where else are you applying? What is your route of entry? A-levels etc?

Harry
Reply 3
Economics and PPE, I am not quite sure how you can apply for two subjects at the same time but go for it.
Witg regards to the course, I am quite unsure about it at Kings but it looks like a great uni with a cool teaching style for economics e.g. political economy department. Furthermore I am applying through UCAS and my hope for A level after exam is three A star and B
Reply 4
Original post by HarrysimsEu
Good morning,

I will be applying in October for Economics and PPE at King's. I was a little hesitant due to how new the course was compared to other Uni's but I just really liked the Uni! Where else are you applying? What is your route of entry? A-levels etc?

Harry

You will have to decide between them at some stage, and that's really before you apply. Otherwise your personal statement ends up being diluted because it's split between the two courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
You will have to decide between them at some stage, and that's really before you apply. Otherwise your personal statement ends up being diluted because it's split between the two courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have had a discussion with Kings and based on that conversation I will be applying to both. I was also unsure at first but it was that conversation with them that made the real difference! I am working on my PS at the moment so have 6 months to go through it with a fine-tooth comb!

I have seen some very negative press from students, didn't feel me with hope, however, I then found similar articles from students from other Unis!
Reply 6
I have had a discussion with Kings and based on that conversation I will be applying to both. I was also unsure at first but it was that conversation with them that made the real difference! I am working on my PS at the moment so have 6 months to go through it with a fine-tooth comb!

And what about your other university choices?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cambridge, LSE and Queens are my other 3 :smile: The Cambridge application is why I will be applying September/ October due to the advanced deadline!
Reply 8
Cambridge, LSE and Queens are my other 3 :smile: The Cambridge application is why I will be applying September/ October due to the advanced deadline!

For Economics at all 3? Queens, Belfast?

Also you only have to apply to Cambridge by 15th October. You can add your 4 other choices later. Indeed it can be a good idea to leave 1 or 2 choices until after you've received your Cambridge decision in early January.

Just be aware you can't change any other aspect of your application, so your PS and Reference remains the same for all your choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It would be Queens, London - and yes, Econ for all three.

I was informed that my full UCAS had to be submitted by the 15th at the latest - interesting! I have visited my Uni's and have made the decision on my choices so believe that these are the ones I am going for.

I am getting a lot of help for my PS due to it needing to be relevant for both Eco and PPE, I feel confident with it so far though.

Thank you for the information and quick responses! :smile:
Reply 10
It would be Queens, London - and yes, Econ for all three.

I was informed that my full UCAS had to be submitted by the 15th at the latest - interesting! I have visited my Uni's and have made the decision on my choices so believe that these are the ones I am going for.

I am getting a lot of help for my PS due to it needing to be relevant for both Eco and PPE, I feel confident with it so far though.

Thank you for the information and quick responses! :smile:

That's QMUL, not Queen's...

If you are applying for Economics at LSE you *need* a very good Economics PS and I'll advise you again that trying to split it between Economics and PPE (to satisfy just one of your 5 choices) is a recipe for rejection.

Did KCL actually recommend you should apply to both their courses and also tell you to write a split personal statement?

Sorry but you have been given incorrect information regarding the deadlines. The 15 October *only* applies to medicinals Oxbridge. Other courses/universities can be added later. There's no benefit in applying early and it can be advantageous for you to apply elsewhere later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Thanks for the information at the end, super helpful.

I will avoid your pedantic statement at the beginning and put it down to sarcasm.

And, Yes. King's College London (that's the London one to clarify) said that I am free to apply to both if that is what I am interested in - however I know the risk of adjusting my statement. I have friends who study PPE (who also applied for Eco) helping me.

Thanks again.
Reply 12
Thanks for the information at the end, super helpful.

I will avoid your pedantic statement at the beginning and put it down to sarcasm.

And, Yes. King's College London (that's the London one to clarify) said that I am free to apply to both if that is what I am interested in - however I know the risk of adjusting my statement. I have friends who study PPE (who also applied for Eco) helping me.

Thanks again.

It's not sarcasm or pedantry; you mentioned a university and I wanted to clarify which one.

Did your friends apply for 1 PPE course and 4 economics courses?

Just because it worked out for them doesn't mean it's a good idea. As I said you will have to decide at some stage anyway...

Are these also the same friends who told you to confirm your 5 choices for the Oxbridge deadline?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My apologies for the hostile response, it has been one of those days!

I cannot remember what other courses they had applied for but one was PPE and another was Economics. So do you believe it would be best at aiming for one course per Uni? Or because PPE and Economics are so different that it is ultimately too risky. As you said, just because there is a precedent, doesn't make it a good idea!

It was my sixth-form that previously informed me about the Oxbridge application, thank you for that though - it is a massive help!
Reply 14
Just researched that last year 80pc of Economics applicants achieved four A stars
Reply 15
got tough competition against us😀
Reply 16
My apologies for the hostile response, it has been one of those days!

I cannot remember what other courses they had applied for but one was PPE and another was Economics. So do you believe it would be best at aiming for one course per Uni? Or because PPE and Economics are so different that it is ultimately too risky. As you said, just because there is a precedent, doesn't make it a good idea!

It was my sixth-form that previously informed me about the Oxbridge application, thank you for that though - it is a massive help!

No worries :smile:

So let's do some analysis regarding your PS and its importance. Let's start by looking at the offer rates for your universities/courses:

KCL, Economics = has an approx 73% offer rate
LSE, Economics = 20%
Cambridge, Economics = 17% (new 2018 data just released)
QMUL, Economics = 74%
KCL, PPE = 85%
(just for interest: UCL, Economics = 49%)

So Cambridge is obviously a special case. Don't forget they interview you and have the ECAA, etc and also their SAQ enables you to provide a Cambridge specific additional personal statement.

So LSE is your real challenge. The offer rates at all the others are pretty high, and that indicates your PS isn't really that important in the process.

So you need to write your PS aimed firmly at Economics to keep LSE happy. And apply to Cambridge, LSE and KCL economics by 15th Oct.

You should delay making your 4th and 5th choices until after you get your Cambridge decision. And maybe consider UCL if you get a rejection, or QMUL if you get a Cambridge offer (as a back up insurance). If you really want to add the PPE course then that's your 5th choice (like medics apply for 4 medicine courses plus a 5th, usually biomedical science, all with a medicine PS).

PS. It's best to quote the post you are replying to so the poster gets a notification :wink:

PPS. This assumes you've actually checked that the courses at each of these choices interest you and you're applying there because you really like the course, and not just for the university "brand"...
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by JackFu
Just researched that last year 80pc of Economics applicants achieved four A stars

At KCL? Where did you see that?

It doesn't agree with this:

Spoiler

https://university.which.co.uk/kings-college-london-university-of-london-k60/courses/economics-bsc-hons-2018-0598231a458e
Reply 18
I meant Cambridge, forgot to type it
Reply 19
I suppose I posed on the wrong forum lol

Quick Reply

Latest