The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Good question. How is everyone preparing for the UKCAT exam, any tips?
Hey! I am a graduate medic at KCL.

Generally you want to start preparing about 1 month in advance (maybe just a little bit more).

I ended up scoring really well (in the 99th percentile). If you want any advice or tips or tricks please feel free to DM me!

All the best in your prep!

-KharmaMedic
When do you apply for the UKCAT
Hey guys! I am a graduate medic at KCL who just finished first-year (literally today :biggrin:)

I took the UKCAT under a year ago and have so much to say about it! I ended up scoring really well (in the 99th percentile).

I have a lot of tips and tricks to share so please feel free to DM me!

Also if you have any other medical school-related questions, don't hesitate to ask!

-KharmaMedic
Original post by Ilovebiology...
When do you apply for the UKCAT

You can apply now and you do it online: https://www.ukcat.ac.uk/ukcat-test/ukcat-registration-booking/
Hi all!I’m hoping to apply for 2019 entry to Glasgow so will be looking at taking UKCAT this summer. Haven’t started preparing yet but I did the full exam when I was 18 (I’m now applying as a graduate) and did SJT last year (got band 1). Got few books but does anyone know which website is best for practice?
Original post by lastlullabyy
Hi all!I’m hoping to apply for 2019 entry to Glasgow so will be looking at taking UKCAT this summer. Haven’t started preparing yet but I did the full exam when I was 18 (I’m now applying as a graduate) and did SJT last year (got band 1). Got few books but does anyone know which website is best for practice?

Medify was best for me- loads of questions and really similar to the exam
Original post by aleexhunt
Medify was best for me- loads of questions and really similar to the exam

Thank you, I’ll look into that :smile:
Original post by usycool1

Hi thanks
When’s the deadline
Also when can you apply for BMAT
:smile:
Original post by Ilovebiology...
Hi thanks
When’s the deadline
Also when can you apply for BMAT
:smile:

Last day to take the test is 2nd October. Last day to book is 1st October. I'd book earlier rather than later as you cancel up to two days beforehand without getting charged.
For BMAT, september sitting you will have to book it yourself. If you're sitting it in November, your school will probably book it for you(ask them about it)
Original post by DoctorMoonlight
Hi guys! :smile:

I am planning on taking my UKCAT in the first week of July - anyone else in the same boat? Trying to get it done early so I can focus on my masters dissertation!

Hi, I'm quite the opposite! Doing it after my Masters dissertation is due on 30th of July hopefully! Best wishes for everyone!
Original post by blessedbytheone
Hi, I'm quite the opposite! Doing it after my Masters dissertation is due on 30th of July hopefully! Best wishes for everyone!

Oh wow! I wish you all the best sincerely. Your dissertation is due a lot earlier than mine so I completely get why you would wait it out. Mine is due August 21st!
Essential UKCAT Information - 2019 Medicine Applicants (Adapted from information here)

UKCAT Sections:
1) Verbal Reasoning
2) Quantitative Reasoning
3) Abstract Reasoning
4) Decision Making (Introduced in 2016; this section has replaced decision analysis)
5) Situational Judgement (Introduced in 2014 and does affect overall score)

Test Dates: 2nd July 2018 - 2nd October 2018
Registration Deadline: 18th September 2018
Test Location: Pearson Vue test centre
Test Fee: £65 (£87 - if taking test after 1st September 2018)

Average UKCAT Scores 2017
Verbal Reasoning: 570
Quantitative Reasoning: 695
Abstract Reasoning: 629
Decision Making: 647
SJT: Band 2

How Universities use the UKCAT? (link)

Free UKCAT Resources
Official Practice Questions
Verbal Reasoning Practice Questions & Answers
Verbal Reasoning Practice
Verbal Reasoning Practice

Quantitative Reasoning Practice Questions & Answers
Quantitative Reasoning Practice
Quantitative Reasoning Practice
GCSE Maths Practice

Abstract Reasoning Practice Questions & Answers
Abstract Reasoning Practice
Abstract Reasoning Practice

Situational Judgement Practice (More Advanced)
Original post by DoctorMoonlight
Oh wow! I wish you all the best sincerely. Your dissertation is due a lot earlier than mine so I completely get why you would wait it out. Mine is due August 21st!

Thanks! Best wishes to you too on both your dissertation and UKCAT!
I just did my first Medify mock today and got 582.5 as an average score and my scores for each section were: AR- 650, QR-630, VR-600, DM- 400-500 (even though I got well over half?), SJT- Band 2
Original post by KharmaMedic
Hey guys! I am a graduate medic at KCL who just finished first-year (literally today :biggrin:)

I took the UKCAT under a year ago and have so much to say about it! I ended up scoring really well (in the 99th percentile).

I have a lot of tips and tricks to share so please feel free to DM me!

Also if you have any other medical school-related questions, don't hesitate to ask!

-KharmaMedic

How did you find out you were in the 99th percentile?
Original post by Samanthaplague
I just did my first Medify mock today and got 582.5 as an average score and my scores for each section were: AR- 650, QR-630, VR-600, DM- 400-500 (even though I got well over half?), SJT- Band 2

Your scores are relative to how well people did in the first cohort of people.
i.e. if the person who got the lowest score had 50% in DM correct then 300 would equate to that
if the highest someone got in AR for example was 90% correct, then that would equate to 900
Original post by AzureCeleste
Your scores are relative to how well people did in the first cohort of people.
i.e. if the person who got the lowest score had 50% in DM correct then 300 would equate to that
if the highest someone got in AR for example was 90% correct, then that would equate to 900

What do you mean by the first cohort of people?
Original post by Samanthaplague
What do you mean by the first cohort of people?

So the first ever group of people to sit the test
Original post by AzureCeleste
So the first ever group of people to sit the test

Is this in the year of sitting or the first ever UKCAT test? So would this year's scores be relative to the first cohort which sit the test in 2018?

Latest

Trending

Trending