The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's too early. Relax
Chill man u just started ur a levels 😂😂
oh my days i started 1 week before my real thing
concentrate on exams, i only started a week before
Reply 5
The fact is that I'm an international italian Eu student or whatever and I don't do A-level, my school gave me the opportunity to attend just few IGCSE exams and one A level in english language and literature... just hoping my ukcat goes well
Original post by Ric__1986
Is anyone preparing for ukcat for 2019 entry ?

It's too early for this, don't prepare until 3 or so moths before ( I'm not an expert,so moving this to the Medicine forum).
LOL. Don't bother preparing now. Waste of time.
Reply 8
I want to know the best time to give UKCAT for a 2019 entry. I am in Grade 11 IB now.
Reply 9
Original post by SSRaj
I want to know the best time to give UKCAT for a 2019 entry. I am in Grade 11 IB now.

I think the best time would be next year June. I'm too in ib 11. :biggrin:
Reply 10
They say on theUKCAt website to prepare for 3 to 4 weeks before the exam. Their not just throwing around a random number. At the end of the exam they ask you how much preparation you do and then compare peoples scores. If they say 3 to 4 weeks its because most top scorers had prepared for that amount of time and there was little to no meaningful variation in the scores of people who spent longer preparing.
Reply 11
Original post by Shukanto
I think the best time would be next year June. I'm too in ib 11. :biggrin:

Oh wow !! What are your subjects and where are u studying?
Reply 12

dont listen to anyone who is saying chill ect , because it is better to do a little practice every week rather than all of it 1 week before
nothing wrong with looking into the exam structure and figuring out an attack plan when the exam period comes around. I wouldn't recommend deep diving right now but taking a few minutes a week figuring what score u need and how unis assess the exam. check out my blog for guidance on this. best of luck mate :smile:

Too early. I started two weeks before my exam
Reply 15
Original post by Volibear
You are aware that there are a limited number of resources right? Doesn't have to be a week beforehand but it's still far too early. It's the UKCAT, not the GAMSAT

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

people dont really look beyond the two main textbooks and past papers do they? you do know international aptitude tests are very similar like UKCAT ect... and like doing 1hr per week won't really hurt in fact it will be beneficial
Reply 16
Original post by Volibear
You do this and get back to us when results are published.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

um we will see
It's not too early for me!

Everyone is different, and for me, 2 or even 8 weeks isn't enough time as I work full-time and I have two children.

Start when you want to start...

Hi there!

We'd say that the UKCAT takes around 6 weeks of preparation, so we'd say it's a little too early to start preparing as you don't want to run out of resources!

You can, however, find out more about the format of the UKCAT on our UKCAT 2018 page.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal
Original post by Cor395
They say on theUKCAt website to prepare for 3 to 4 weeks before the exam. Their not just throwing around a random number. At the end of the exam they ask you how much preparation you do and then compare peoples scores. If they say 3 to 4 weeks its because most top scorers had prepared for that amount of time and there was little to no meaningful variation in the scores of people who spent longer preparing.

It makes you laugh really, It sounds like the UKCAT people should do more verbal reasoning. The fact that the top scorers spent 3/4 weeks does not mean that this is the ideal prep time. It might just be that those people were good in the first place and so left it to the last few weeks to prepare.

What is important is to understand how the questions work and where the traps are. And also what are the recurrent themes so that when you see questions on those themes you know what to look for and what to pay attention to.

Most people start preparing with a book on an untimed basis, just to get a feel for things (eg the ISC 1250 questions book:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Get-into-Medical-School-Questions/dp/1905812264/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516206020&sr=8-1&keywords=ukcat) and then do the online official tests to see how you do and then use some online resource to time yourself and work under more pressure. I would say that 3/4 is sufficient if you have time on your side, but otherwise maybe 6/8 weeks before.

I would suggest also taking it in August ie earlyish. After a while too much practice just makes you sweat more. So basically I would start preparing in June for an August exam.

Latest

Trending

Trending