The Student Room Group

Why is millions a noun in the quote from An Inspector Calls?

"millions and millions of Eva Smiths".

Isn't the millions describing the number of Eva Smiths?
I did try posting this in the English topic rather than GCSE but it wasn't working.
Reply 2
Yeah, it's basically the inspector saying that while Eva Smith is dead, there are still millions more with all their hopes and dreams.
Original post by arnoldj1
Yeah, it's basically the inspector saying that while Eva Smith is dead, there are still millions more with all their hopes and dreams.

I know what it means. It just isn't an obvious noun. My class didn't get why either.
Reply 4
Original post by Goldfish4343
"millions and millions of Eva Smiths".

Isn't the millions describing the number of Eva Smiths?

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/million

Where's the confusion??

Becuase it sounds like it is describing the number of Eva Smiths still around.
Reply 6
Becuase it sounds like it is describing the number of Eva Smiths still around.

I don't see how context would change anything; it's a noun.
Original post by IWMTom
I don't see how context would change anything; it's a noun.

If you looked at the link you gave, you can see it isn't always a noun.

It is being used as a noun. Next.
Original post by Notoriety
It is being used as a noun. Next.

I know, but WHY?
Reply 10
I know, but WHY?

Read the adjective definition and you'll see why it's a noun...
Original post by IWMTom
Read the adjective definition and you'll see why it's a noun...

Why isn't it this "amounting to a very great number"?

And for a community assistant you aren't assisting me very kindly.
Reply 12
Why isn't it this "amounting to a very great number"?

And for a community assistant you aren't assisting me very kindly.

Look at the provided example for that definition:
"a million things to do"

It doesn't fit. The plurality of the word helps you with that.

Which fits the use case better, the examples where it's an adjective, or the examples where it's a noun?
(edited 5 years ago)
I know, but WHY?

You're getting confused. You seem to have a basic understanding of what an adjective is "a describing word" and therefore any word that describes in a loose sense must be an adjective. It doesn't work like that; it is about the word's place in the structure of the sentence. Adjectives modify nouns and pronouns.

But nouns can "describe" too, hence you're confused. In future, tell your teacher to explain to you using language above key stage 1.

I guess you could argue it is a noun by saying that if you put a singular noun in its place, the "there are" must become "there is". In essence, "there are one and one and one ..." must become "there is one and one and one ..." This means that million is the subject of the verb "are" and must be a noun.
Original post by IWMTom
Look at the provided example for that definition:
"a million things to do"

It doesn't fit. The plurality of the word helps you with that.

Which fits the use case better, the examples where it's an adjective, or the examples where it's a noun?

Not quite true because there can be adjectives which replicate a plural noun, e.g. nuts-and-bolts in a nuts-and-bolts explanation. The plurality does not mean that the adjective is in fact a noun. I understand your point in that the dictionary definition of million does not allow for a plural adjective, but that's a discrete point and not an explanation.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Notoriety
I understand your point in that the dictionary definition of million does not allow for a plural adjective, but that's a discrete point and not an explanation.

I didn't state it was an explanation; I merely suggested that it could help to identify which definition would fit best, hence "the plurality of the word helps you with that".
I know, but WHY?

Because of the preposition 'of', which links the proper noun 'Eva Smith' to the main noun 'million'. AFAIK a preposition can't link an adjective to a noun like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending