The Student Room Group

GCSE English Literature Study Club: An Inspector Calls

Hi everyone
I thought it might be fun to make a mini study club for everyone who's studying An Inspector Calls as part of their GCSE English Literature course. :cute:This would be a great place to discuss the themes and characters of the text, and share useful study resources that you've come across. To kick off, why not let us know what you find interesting about the text ? Perhaps you have a favourite character or a quote that really stands out to you?Good luck and happy studying everyone
Useful Resources
SparkNotes
BBC Bitesize
@agent_duck343 @*LifeHappens* @Fatima.8 I think you're all studying this text?
This is probably my favourite of the texts we are doing for English Literature as although I don’t like plays that much I enjoy the crime aspect of it and that it is relatively short compared to the other texts we need to memorise

I like making mind maps for each character and the main themes with relevant quotes and ideas and a bit of annotation as these are what I can use in my answers.
My favourite character is Shelia Birling as I love her character growth across the play 😍. My favourite quote is probably Mr Birling calling the titanic “unsinkable, absolutely unsinkable” because I don’t like his character and it makes him seem stupid and arrogant. My least favourite character is Mrs Birling so when she realises Eric is to blame that it my favourite part. I don’t like the ending very much because it’s quite open needed and there are multiple interpretations
Original post by Pwca
@agent_duck343 @*LifeHappens* @Fatima.8 I think you're all studying this text?

Hello, currently I'm doing a christmas carol, however in a couple of weeks time, I'm starting an inspector calls, so I'll definitely update this post once I get started with it :smile:

With that said, I'd definitely recommend (like @agent_duck343 said) making mindmaps to summarise the main quotes/analysis for themes + characters we come across. I also HUGELY recommend the youtube channel glow up your grades (it gives high level analysis and is helpful).
(edited 5 months ago)
Hello, just thought I'd update the thread as it's been a few months. I've started studying an inspector calls and currently the revision resources I'm using are the york notes revision guide, PMT, Glow up your grades youtube channel and the Genius annotations which are surprisingly really high level analysis:

https://genius.com/J-b-priestley-an-inspector-calls-act-one-act-two-annotated

How is everyone else doing?
Reply 5
hi
im good when did gsce get so close just did a mock last week
and scarred i didnt good (it was paper1 again)
im stressin as my first paper 1 mock was grade 5 which i aint happy bout
Original post by JF ZAK
hi
im good when did gsce get so close just did a mock last week
and scarred i didnt good (it was paper1 again)
im stressin as my first paper 1 mock was grade 5 which i aint happy bout
Oh I get how you're feeling, it must be stressful but don't worry because between your first mock and the mock exams you just finished you would have improved a lot - I'm in year 10 and preparing for my upcoming mocks after easter and I feel like because it's the first time doing proper exams in exam conditions it will be hard to achieve really high grades.
Reply 7
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Oh I get how you're feeling, it must be stressful but don't worry because between your first mock and the mock exams you just finished you would have improved a lot - I'm in year 10 and preparing for my upcoming mocks after easter and I feel like because it's the first time doing proper exams in exam conditions it will be hard to achieve really high grades.
iknw
but i still want to achieve a grade 8
looks good for colleges doing a gsce already and have a good gsce

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending