The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Mathematics: Statistics S1 6683 01 - 13 June 2018 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zMarshaall
So adding in coding doesn’t affect Sxx but for you’d have to times by 1000 squared, where as Swx you would only need to times Sxx by 1000

thanks friend:smile:
Original post by Lana21
The exam is on wednesdayyy

yeah i know i have a chem exam tmr so imdoing that now
So pmcc and Sxx things aren’t affected by adding or subtracting, but they are affected by multiplication,

And when two events, A and B, are independant P(AnB) = P(A) x P(B)

Pretty much the only things that you need to remember really
So pmcc and Sxx things aren’t affected by adding or subtracting, but they are affected by multiplication,

What is the change was in the number of values, for example n was increased by 1? What happens to Sxx then?
Original post by IGCSEsurvivor
What is the change was in the number of values, for example n was increased by 1? What happens to Sxx then?

Well if you were too look at the equation for Sxx and those similar then the average and sum of squares would change weirdly in an unpredictable way like the Sxx doesn’t change proportionately like it would with coding I think, Edexcel wouldn’t include a change of n in a question I’m sure of it so not to worry
Well if you were too look at the equation for Sxx and those similar then the average and sum of squares would change weirdly in an unpredictable way like the Sxx doesn’t change proportionately like it would with coding I think, Edexcel wouldn’t include a change of n in a question I’m sure of it so not to worry

PHEW!
thanks a lot for all the help :smile:
Who's ready?
Reply 47
Why were the jan 2017 papers so horrible? Seriously hoping for the best tomorrow
Whos not ready to kill the exam and has started hoping that all those KinD HEArted EdeXCEl examiners who mark our papers will do it after a few good shots of vodka and a great mood.
jan 18.png
anyone for d(ii)? i really cant get the markscheme
its IAL jan18 ..TIA:smile:
Original post by rufaida.s.a
jan 18.png
anyone for d(ii)? i really cant get the markscheme
its IAL jan18 ..TIA:smile:

https://youtu.be/Vk0wDqI0EtQ
Check this link ..... it’ll explain
Original post by Msnotorious
https://youtu.be/Vk0wDqI0EtQ
Check this link ..... it’ll explain

thanks a lot
Original post by rufaida.s.a
thanks a lot

No problem...Good luck for tomorrow... <3
Reply 53
can anyone explain this whole times by 1000 squared vs times by 1000 with sxx and syy and coding stuff like that came up in 2017 s1? Thank you
Original post by Lana21
Histograms

Lol they came up last year. Try tree diagrams they didn't come up last year. Pract discrete random and normal distribution. They tend to have a lot of hard questions on those topics. Also make sure you know the modeling method by heart. It could ask for all the steps in a 4 Mark question

Pmcc isn't affected by multiplication either. I think your confusing it with standard deviation coding
Original post by lucasb1
can anyone explain this whole times by 1000 squared vs times by 1000 with sxx and syy and coding stuff like that came up in 2017 s1? Thank you

Hey baby, so, Baaaasically you are given Sww = 50. since the 'coding' was w=s/1000. you would re arrange to get s=1000w.
Because Sww uses SumOfX^2 you actually need to multiply by 1000^2 instead of 1000.

hope this helps
Original post by shohaib712
Pmcc isn't affected by multiplication either. I think your confusing it with standard deviation coding

Oh is it not? Yeah I assumed that due to the change in Sxx Sxy etc. It would change the pmcc but now that I think about it, it cancels out anyway, yeah you’re right standard deviation is affected not pmcc.
Original post by shohaib712
Lol they came up last year. Try tree diagrams they didn't come up last year. Pract discrete random and normal distribution. They tend to have a lot of hard questions on those topics. Also make sure you know the modeling method by heart. It could ask for all the steps in a 4 Mark question

Modeling method? Do you mean designing a mathematical model in ch1 of the book?

Also, do you know if we need to know the stuff about 68.7% and the standard deviation for normal distribution questions...?
what is 68.7% and this modelling ... going to be a late night...if you want to hear something funny. I'm a mature student, yes that's funny but also i turned up for the exam at my local high school this morning. (had the day booked off work aswell ) gutted...... thought last night was my last ever night of revision!!!!! and i cant get tomorrow off so im now pulling a sicky ahahhhhhh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending