The Student Room Group

You're a hypocrite if you eat meat and oppose trophy hunting.

1) I eat meat for pleasure.
2) Trophy hunters shoot animals for pleasure.

3) Therefore, unless the animals are endangered I have no right to question trophy hunting.

Scroll to see replies

The word hypocrite is in itself hypocritical of the individual using it, so using it would be contradictory to yourself, overall it's best to stay away from that word since everyone is a hypocrite.
Original post by Oneiropólos
The word hypocrite is in itself hypocritical of the individual using it, so using it would be contradictory to yourself, overall it's best to stay away from that word since everyone is a hypocrite.

how?
Reply 3

I think that's a bit hypochloritical if I'm being honest
Original post by johnny.snow
how?

We are all hypocrites.

You cannot insult someone by calling them a hypocrite when you yourself are being a hypocrite about another matter, whatever it is.
We are all hypocrites.

You cannot insult someone by calling them a hypocrite when you yourself are being a hypocrite about another matter, whatever it is.

no I'm not
no I'm not

You're not?

You're telling me in all your life you haven't called someone a liar when obviously you've lied yourself.

Or to do with any accusation really.

But hey I don't know you, so who am I to judge
You're not?

You're telling me in all your life you haven't called someone a liar when obviously you've lied yourself.

Or to do with any accusation really.

But hey I don't know you, so who am I to judge

oh i see lol
Reply 8

3) Therefore, unless the animals are endangered I have no right to question trophy hunting.

Nice one, Socrates.
Reply 9
"i eat meat for pleasure" is my new favourite phrase
Not necessarily. Trophy hunting is pointless and just kills an animal for no reason. Eating meat is for a purpose. There is such thing as believing that the killing of animals should be kept to a minimum and should be only for food purposes. There's also the fact that people who enjoy killing animals (physically rather than indirectly as you do with meat) probably lack empathy and are sadistic.
Reply 11

A Dullard's argument.
Original post by Maker
A Dullard's argument.

You know I'm right though.

Re: You're a hypocrite if you eat meat and oppose trophy hunting.

No- it'd be hypocritical to eat meat and tell people not to eat meat.

There is no necessary hypocrisy in objecting to someone doing Y with the outcome of X , when you do Z with the outcome of X.

Just like there's no necessary hypocrisy in me objecting to other people raping when I have sex with consent.

Whilst there is a moral argument to be made, you haven't started it so I see no reason why I should. You gave true premises, and then a conclusion that doesn't necessarily follow from the premises.
Original post by Picnic1
No- it'd be hypocritical to eat meat and tell people not to eat meat.

There is no necessary hypocrisy in objecting to someone doing Y with the outcome of X , when you do Z with the outcome of X.

Just like there's no necessary hypocrisy in me objecting to other people raping when I have sex with consent.

Whilst there is a moral argument to be made, you haven't started it so I see no reason why I should. You gave true premises, and then a conclusion that doesn't necessarily follow from the premises.

yeah you're right made a bit of a logical jump

I made a thread earlier of why eating meat was immoral so assumed it from there
(edited 5 years ago)
I swear to god that I thought this was some innuendo.
You're a hypocrite if you eat pussy, but refuse to toss her salad.
Original post by Logical_Son
You're a hypocrite if you eat pussy, but refuse to toss her salad.

username checks out
Reply 18
You know I'm right though.

I know you are a dullard though.
It really depends on the context.
1- Not everyone eats meat for pleasure. Yes, the majority of people like meat, but the thing is that becoming a vegetarian is expensive and really hard. The majority of people eat meat because they need to. This means they don't kill for pleasure, therefore they aren't hypocrites.
2- Some people just don't like the fact that endangered animals are being killed. Unlike cows, giraffes are very rare and killing one has a much bigger impact than killing a cow. Also, we kill cows for food, even if it's 'for our own pleasure.' Trophy hunting isn't for food. At most, the animals that get killed will be hanged on a wall or something. They don't have a true use.
Overall, your argument is crappy. Please take in context everything before saying something like this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending