The Student Room Group

How many people got a 9

it seems that many people got 9's even though they are supposed to be difficult to achieve

Scroll to see replies

ik i thought they would be much harder to achieve
this is TSR, if you want to spend your time on a student forum you’re probably clever.

the majority of student on here will therefore probably get 9’s - that’s how it is

and if it’s your school, be happy, it means they are good teachers
Reply 3
Original post by em___02
it seems that many people got 9's even though they are supposed to be difficult to achieve

Original post by malkimoo
ik i thought they would be much harder to achieve

4.3% of all entries were grade 9. To me that shows that grade 9s were very hard to achieve. On TSR you'll see a much higher percentage of people getting grade 9s compared to the whole population.
Reply 4
Original post by Notnek
4.3% of all entries were grade 9. To me that shows that grade 9s were very hard to achieve. On TSR you'll see a much higher percentage of people getting grade 9s compared to the whole population.

Wait, is this for all subjects graded 9-1?
Reply 5
Original post by Tolgarda
Wait, is this for all subjects graded 9-1?

Yes.
Reply 6
According to the BBC, only 732 entries for all reformed subjects scored a clean-sweep of grade 9s.

EDIT: That statistic is incorrect. Only 732 entries for all reformed subjects scored seven grade 9s or more.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Notnek

thats a high % don't you think, considering the old a* used to be 8% and considering a gcse subject i did was 0.1% a*
Reply 8
According to the BBC, only 732 entries for all reformed subjects scored a clean-sweep of grade 9s.

The BBC cited figures from Ofqual - increasing its credibility.
I got 5 9's and lots of my friends got them too, they didn't seem to be to uncommon certainly not the "super-grade" they were made out to be.
Original post by Notnek
Yes.

For all the hype, that still seems rather high. I was thinking that less than 1% were going to attain it. Very well then, still quite an exclusive group.

I saw two peers fro my school emerge with many 9s (one with six, and the other with five). Apparently, someone even scored ten (but the evidence was from an Instagram chat, so it is rather shoddy in that sense). It seems unreal after all the build-up of this super grade being nigh-on impossible to attain.
(edited 5 years ago)
I got a 9 in physics. Someone else here got like 5 9s.
Reply 12
I got 9 grade 9s this year and I did maths last year and already got a 9 then so I'm luckily one of the 732 that got All 9s :smile:
one person in my year got 9 in all 12 subjects
Reply 14
Original post by yoyomynameis...
thats a high % don't you think, considering the old a* used to be 8% and considering a gcse subject i did was 0.1% a*

No there is no need to differentiate between the most able students any more than they are doing now. The change in percentage achieving old A* compared to 9 is significant.
Original post by anonymous69gcse
one person in my year got 9 in all 12 subjects

he's like in the top 50 of the most intelligent students nationally.
Original post by AA_Khan
I got 9 grade 9s this year and I did maths last year and already got a 9 then so I'm luckily one of the 732 that got All 9s :smile:

Holy ****, incredible! What subjects did you take?
i got 4 9's in lit physics bio and geog - they are not so exclusive as was made out to be since so many people got 9
Original post by A02
This statistic was incorrectly reported by the BBC. The statistic was that 732 people got at least 7 nines, not all nines. See here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/infographic-gcse-results-2018

Ah ok, well then, I do wonder how many got straight 9s. Ofqual says that 4.5% of students got straight 9s (I think).
Reply 19
Holy ****, incredible! What subjects did you take?

Thanks!! All the subjects I did this year were:

English Literature
English Language
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
French
History
Computer Science
RE

And I didn't do Maths because I got the 9 last year already

Quick Reply