The Student Room Group

Is there any point in getting a remark?

So I got my results back and overall they were pretty good (could be slightly better) - I got three 9's, two 8's, three 7's.

My only concern is that with the 2 grade 8's (English and history), I was only a few marks away from a grade 9. In English literature (AQA) I scored 133, and in history I scored 144 (Edexcel). Im not exactly sure what grade boundaries are specific to the history exams I took, but looking at them I don't believe many were far above what I scored - certainly not any higher than 150.

My family are advising me not to, as 'An 8 and a 9 are both recognised as an A* anyway' but I'm wondering wether the extra couple grade 9's may elevate my application, as I have ambitions of studying at oxbridge or in America.

Can anyone provide me with some advice? if I do in fact get them remarked, am I likely to lose marks?

Thanks
Original post by riverw
So I got my results back and overall they were pretty good (could be slightly better) - I got three 9's, two 8's, three 7's.

My only concern is that with the 2 grade 8's (English and history), I was only a few marks away from a grade 9. In English literature (AQA) I scored 133, and in history I scored 144 (Edexcel). Im not exactly sure what grade boundaries are specific to the history exams I took, but looking at them I don't believe many were far above what I scored - certainly not any higher than 150.

My family are advising me not to, as 'An 8 and a 9 are both recognised as an A* anyway' but I'm wondering wether the extra couple grade 9's may elevate my application, as I have ambitions of studying at oxbridge or in America.

Can anyone provide me with some advice? if I do in fact get them remarked, am I likely to lose marks?

Thanks

I was also wondering the same! In history, English literature and science I was only one mark away from a 9. I don’t know whether it’s worth the money and risk that my grade could end up going down instead.
Reply 2
Original post by tasha_1306
I was also wondering the same! In history, English literature and science I was only one mark away from a 9. I don’t know whether it’s worth the money and risk that my grade could end up going down instead.

yeah the chance that the grade may be lowered is the biggest concern. However surely since our grades are comfortable 8's, we can't really go down much further anyway? Like we would essentially have to lose a significant amount of marks to drop to a 7 which seems unlikely, but im not sure.
Original post by riverw
yeah the chance that the grade may be lowered is the biggest concern. However surely since our grades are comfortable 8's, we can't really go down much further anyway? Like we would essentially have to lose a significant amount of marks to drop to a 7 which seems unlikely, but im not sure.

Yeah that’s true. I know the difference between an 8 and a 9 is minimal marks-wise but it just seems more reputable to have those 9s instead.
Reply 4
yeah exactly - you never know how pedantic a top university may be, especially since oxbridge is insanely competitive. Hopefully someone who was in the same boat provides some advice
Yeah that’s true. I know the difference between an 8 and a 9 is minimal marks-wise but it just seems more reputable to have those 9s instead.
Original post by riverw
yeah exactly - you never know how pedantic a top university may be, especially since oxbridge is insanely competitive. Hopefully someone who was in the same boat provides some advice

Yeah hopefully. I really want to get into med school as well so I feel like the best grades will give me the best chance of getting accepted.
Reply 6
Original post by riverw
So I got my results back and overall they were pretty good (could be slightly better) - I got three 9's, two 8's, three 7's. My only concern is that with the 2 grade 8's (English and history), I was only a few marks away from a grade 9. In English literature (AQA) I scored 133, and in history I scored 144 (Edexcel). Im not exactly sure what grade boundaries are specific to the history exams I took, but looking at them I don't believe many were far above what I scored - certainly not any higher than 150. My family are advising me not to, as 'An 8 and a 9 are both recognised as an A* anyway' but I'm wondering wether the extra couple grade 9's may elevate my application, as I have ambitions of studying at oxbridge or in America. Can anyone provide me with some advice? if I do in fact get them remarked, am I likely to lose marks? Thanks
to be perfectly honest even oxbridge don’t care about your gcses. don’t worry about it unless you desperately want to get it for your personal benefit. it’s really only imperial who will ever look at your gcse grades and that’s only when they have a very competitive year group
Reply 7
are you sure they won't though? ive seen multiple people on here claim that for oxbridge, you are significantly disadvantaged if you don't have all 8's/9's as that's what most successful applicants have. Im not sure some of these posts were satirical, scaremongering or just wrong but I feel inadequate.
Original post by erinls
to be perfectly honest even oxbridge don’t care about your gcses. don’t worry about it unless you desperately want to get it for your personal benefit. it’s really only imperial who will ever look at your gcse grades and that’s only when they have a very competitive year group
Reply 8
(Original post by riverw)So I got my results back and overall they were pretty good (could be slightly better) - I got three 9's, two 8's, three 7's.

Thanks

personally i’m not getting any of mine remarked to resit i was 3 marks of a 9 in Religious Studies and 2 marks of a 6 in history and im taking it this way i’ve passed them it makes it no different yes i know i could have extra marks laying about somewhere but it’s not worth the hassle really in my eyes i can always explain to whoever that i was this many marks of whatever if i need to hope this helps
Original post by erinls

Would you say it’s not even worth the try in terms of money just to try and gain that extra mark?
Reply 10
Would you say it’s not even worth the try in terms of money just to try and gain that extra mark?

in my opinion (rather stingy and broke) i wouldn’t spend that much for one mark. if you can get a transcript (photocopy of your papers) and get a teacher to look over it before the remark deadline i would do that to see if they think it’s worthwhile. but for a 8->9 remark i just don’t see the point at gcse level
Original post by erinls
in my opinion (rather stingy and broke) i wouldn’t spend that much for one mark. if you can get a transcript (photocopy of your papers) and get a teacher to look over it before the remark deadline i would do that to see if they think it’s worthwhile. but for a 8->9 remark i just don’t see the point at gcse level

Ok thanks for the advice it’s been really helpful :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by riverw
are you sure they won't though? ive seen multiple people on here claim that for oxbridge, you are significantly disadvantaged if you don't have all 8's/9's as that's what most successful applicants have. Im not sure some of these posts were satirical, scaremongering or just wrong but I feel inadequate.

yes most applicants have 8/9s but that’s just because people who achieve 3 or 4A* at a level are naturally smarter or put a lot of work in! it’s a correlation - not causation. don’t stress too much. i was at cambridge today doing a summer school and they really stress that they only look at a level grades, personal statement and most importantly the admission assessment you do

Quick Reply

Latest