The Student Room Group

Inequalities written separately or together?

I have some questions with inequalities but don’t know if I’m supposed to write the solution together or not.
I’ll give an example :

find the set of values of x for which

2x^2-5x-3<0
Original post by gerib17
I have some questions with inequalities but don’t know if I’m supposed to write the solution together or not.
I’ll give an example :

find the set of values of x for which

2x^2-5x-3<0

The solution is -0.5 < x < 3, and you would write it like that. "x" satisfies both inequalites at the same time, "-0.5 < x" AND "x < 3". It lies in the interval -0.5 to 3.

IF on the other hand you had 2x^2-5x-3 > 0, then either "x < -0.5 or x > 3". Clearly it can't satisfy both inequalities at the same time, and you'd write it as I put in quotes.
Reply 2
Essentially if it’s less than then we write it together and if it’s bigger than we split it up
Original post by gerib17
Essentially if it’s less than then we write it together and if it’s bigger than we split it up

I assume you're refering to the original question there with the "< 0".

Whether you can put the results together or not, is going to depend on what the solution is, rather than on whether its < or > in the question.

Having solved the inequality, if you end up with x having to satisfy two inequalites. If there are a < x AND x < b, then you can combine them into a < x < b (assuming a < b)
Reply 4
Original post by ghostwalker
I assume you're refering to the original question there with the "< 0".

Whether you can put the results together or not, is going to depend on what the solution is, rather than on whether its < or > in the question.

Having solved the inequality, if you end up with x having to satisfy two inequalites. If there are a < x AND x < b, then you can combine them into a < x < b (assuming a < b)

A792564E-14D5-440C-86C5-696AAD36FD3D.jpg.jpeg

746AEA61-DCEF-4ABD-AEAF-F7CC7B1148FB.jpg.jpeg

Question 9 please!
Original post by gerib17

Question 9 please!

So, you've got to 4k(k3)<04k(k-3)< 0

This does NOT imply 4k<0 and k-3< 0.

You have the product of two numbers ( 4k and k-3 ) and that product is negative. For the product of two numbers to be negative, one must be positive and the other must be negative.

So, either 4k is positive and k-3 is negative or vsv.

The general methodology, of which there should be a worked example in your textbook, is to look at the "critical values", the values where the inequalities are equalities, i.e. when they equal 0 in this case.

If 4k=0, then k=0.
If k-3 = 0, then k=3

This gives you the two critical values 0 and 3.

We now consider the number line split up at those critical points, 0 and 3.

So we have three parts: k < 0, 0 < k < 3, and 3 < k

We now check each in term.

IF k< 0, then:

4k<0, and k-3 < 0.
So, their product is > 0, and this part won't form part of the solution.

if k > 3, then:
4k >0, and k-3 > 0.
So, their product is > 0, and this part won't form part of the solution.

If 0 < k < 3, then:
4k > 0, and k-3 < 0.
Their product is < 0, and so this will form part of the solution.

In this case the solution has just one part 0 < k < 3.

Finally you need to check the end points to this interval.
If k is 0 or 3, then the product of 4k,k-3 is zero, which is not less than zero, so they do not form part of the solution.

Hence the result 0 < k < 3.................(1)

This differs slightly from the given solution 0 <= k < 3, but if k satisfies (1), then it must satisfy the given solution too.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest