The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you do Further Maths, you don't even really have to revise for maths tbh. C1-C4 are like one day modules.

Further Maths A2 was more challenging. Especially FP3. Other than that, it was all pretty good. Mechanics is quite easy.

But I hear that both maths and further maths are changing.
Original post by I'm God
If you do Further Maths, you don't even really have to revise for maths tbh. C1-C4 are like one day modules.

Further Maths A2 was more challenging. Especially FP3. Other than that, it was all pretty good. Mechanics is quite easy.

But I hear that both maths and further maths are changing.

Yeah the A levels have been changed- no more AS levels just one exam at the end of the two years. However as I’m doing both, you take A level after one year at the end of year 12 then FM at the end of year 13 with your other subjects.

I worried about how I’ll manage with FM. I am not ‘bad’ at maths (9 at IGCSE and A in FSMQ Additional Maths- highest grades) but far from an exceptional student.

Were there any topics that were hard to get particularly hard for you to get your head around?
I self-taught both of them and found it easy and fun; when you know how to revise.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by thekidwhogames
I self-taught both of them and found it easy and fun; when you know how to revise. I can send you links and resources; books, worksheets, papers, etc. Message me your email and I'll send it over - everything you will ever need for A level Maths and FM.

Omg- that is seriously impressive! O:
You’re too generous for this- thank you!
I self-taught both of them and found it easy and fun; when you know how to revise. I can send you links and resources; books, worksheets, papers, etc. Message me your email and I'll send it over - everything you will ever need for A level Maths and FM.

As someone starting A level maths in a couple weeks (and ill seat the exams in y12) I would love this
Original post by SerenaVioletear
I have chosen Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry as my A levels starting this September.

Anyone have any advice or experiences to share for maths and further maths (like how did you manage and how challenging did you personally find both)? Thank you!

Did the exact subject combo as you and loved it. Managed to get 4A*s at the end.

If you genuinely enjoy maths and enjoy learning new concepts and applying them, I feel like you will flourish. FM is obvs harder than maths so naturally by doing further maths, a lot of normal maths will seem like a piece of cake which will aid you into getting an A/A* in maths provided you're already pretty good at maths from gcse. I found maths pretty easy and found further maths alright but not too difficult really. As long as you practice questions consistently and understand all the concepts, you will do just fine. It all lies in the understanding.
Original post by ZdYnm8vuNR
As someone starting A level maths in a couple weeks (and ill seat the exams in y12) I would love this

Please message me your email
Omg- that is seriously impressive! O:
You’re too generous for this- thank you!

Sent! Please check it out - it's got everything for you to self-teach it quickly. Hope I helped!
Reply 9

omg im doing further maths and maths too, can i request this too? i would be soo grateful:biggrin:
Original post by imdeded
omg im doing further maths and maths too, can i request this too? i would be soo grateful:biggrin:

Sure, message me your email.
Original post by imdeded

Please check your email! Hope this helped.
Please check your email! Hope this helped.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! i can go into y12 feeling assured now :banana:
Original post by imdeded
THANK YOU SO MUCH! i can go into y12 feeling assured now :banana:

No worries! Follow that order; finish everything there and I can guarantee you 2A* in year 13.
Original post by Anonymouspsych
Did the exact subject combo as you and loved it. Managed to get 4A*s at the end.

If you genuinely enjoy maths and enjoy learning new concepts and applying them, I feel like you will flourish. FM is obvs harder than maths so naturally by doing further maths, a lot of normal maths will seem like a piece of cake which will aid you into getting an A/A* in maths provided you're already pretty good at maths from gcse. I found maths pretty easy and found further maths alright but not too difficult really. As long as you practice questions consistently and understand all the concepts, you will do just fine. It all lies in the understanding.

Oh wow O: I’m glad I found someone who did the exact same subject combination! As I’ll be spending half of my timetable doing solely maths hopefully I’ll grasp the understanding aspect. I feel like I am missing a synapse in a brain as sometimes it takes me a while to get my head around stuff D:
Original post by Anonymouspsych

How did you find all the subjects together?
Sent! Please check it out - it's got everything for you to self-teach it quickly. Hope I helped!

Thank you so so much! xx
Thank you so so much! xx

No worries, if you need any help for Maths/FM or don't understand something in the links - message me! Good luck on your Maths journeys! :smile:
Yeah the A levels have been changed- no more AS levels just one exam at the end of the two years. However as I’m doing both, you take A level after one year at the end of year 12 then FM at the end of year 13 with your other subjects.

I worried about how I’ll manage with FM. I am not ‘bad’ at maths (9 at IGCSE and A in FSMQ Additional Maths- highest grades) but far from an exceptional student.

Were there any topics that were hard to get particularly hard for you to get your head around?

Not particularly in Maths. The hardest thing there was probably integration, and that's really not that hard.

However, Further Maths is a different story. I found the Further Pure modules quite difficult. Especially the vectors and quite a bit of FP3.

For further maths, I used ExamSolutions, and it helped a lot. Doing past paper questions also helped out quite a bit.

If you don't understand a topic in either subject, you can always go onto Youtube and there will almost always be many videos which can help you out. :smile:

Hey bud i know it must be getting annoying to ask bud hook me up too? slightly panicking here :emo:

Latest