The Student Room Group

Best route into a Cyber Security career?

Hey people,

I'm fascinated by cyber security and would really like to get into it as a career. Currently I've just started my first year on a Level 3 IT extended diploma, depending on how well I do I would like to go to university after. Would this be the best route? I've seen some other ways to get into a junior role such as comptia security+ but I think employers would value a degree over that.

Just some additional information as well I did a Level 3 1 year IT service desk apprenticeship last year. Thanks for any replies :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by HAWKZz
Hey people,

I'm fascinated by cyber security and would really like to get into it as a career. Currently I've just started my first year on a Level 3 IT extended diploma, depending on how well I do I would like to go to university after. Would this be the best route? I've seen some other ways to get into a junior role such as comptia security+ but I think employers would value a degree over that.

Just some additional information as well I did a Level 3 1 year IT service desk apprenticeship last year. Thanks for any replies :smile:

Do one of the 2 GCHQ accredited degrees.

Either:

Royal Holloway, University of London - BSc Computer Science (Information Security) - D*DD-DDD (BTEC Extended, IT)

or

University of Warwick - BSc Cyber Security - D*D*D (BTEC Extended, IT)
Reply 2
Original post by yt7777
Do one of the 2 GCHQ accredited degrees.

Either:

Royal Holloway, University of London - BSc Computer Science (Information Security) - D*DD-DDD (BTEC Extended, IT)

or

University of Warwick - BSc Cyber Security - D*D*D (BTEC Extended, IT)

Thank you very much I was looking at Warwick but I didn't understand the entry requirements. Looks like I'm going to have to work hard in order to get those results :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by HAWKZz
Thank you very much I was looking at Warwick but I didn't understand the entry requirements. Looks like I'm going to have to work hard in order to get those results :smile:

No problem at all, I have PM'd you some more info btw
Reply 4
Depends where you study

Most Cyber Security degrees are next to useless. But there are extremely good ones which would be superior to doing an apprenticeship.

For example, the few GCHQ accredited undergraduate degrees at: Warwick, Royal Holloway, Imperial and Southampton.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending