The Student Room Group
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

University of Salford or Manchester Metropolitan University ?

Hi, I am between University of Salford and Manchester Metropolitan university.

Which one do you think that is the best one for a MSc.Cyber Security Course (also for a placements/ Job opportunities/ network with industrial experts).

So I am trying to find in which uni I will have the best 2 years of my life as a msc student and in which one I will have more opportunities as a professional employee in the future.
Original post by Anonymous

Which one do you think that is the best one for a MSc.Cyber Security Course (also for a placements/ Job opportunities/ network with industrial experts).

So I am trying to find in which uni I will have the best 2 years of my life as a msc student and in which one I will have more opportunities as a professional employee in the future.

Hey,

I think its all dependent on what area of Cyber Security you're interested in, and what you might want to go into afterwards. Our degree covers Threat Intelligence and Forensics too, so if you're interested in different areas of cyber security as a whole its a quite well rounded degree. I would recommend taking a read through both ours and Man Met's websites and seeing who's teaching and assessment style fits you best as a student - you might find one more appealing than the other after a read, but it's all about what you're going to enjoy the most and get the most out of! The best thing is - which ever University you choose, you'll always be right next to Manchester city centre, which is a fantastic location for some of the world's leading cyber security companies!

If you'd like to take a read through our course info you can do so here - just as a heads up, our MSc course is one year full time, three years part time!

I'd also really recommend coming along to an open day, which will help you get a feel for what its like to be a student here. You can register your interest on our website here for our next event on the 22nd November :biggrin:

All the best!
Becky
University of Salford Rep
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey thank you for ur kind response, I just want to know another thing is what kind of network does have with industries and companies, I mean does there are valuable opportunities while doing MSc cyber security in uni of Salford with companies, I just want to know do we have support from uni of Salford side to find a placement or a job opportunity, what kind of network connection does have in there, any support and placement workshops are there?

Hi there
I can’t comment on the course at Manchester Met, as I am a speech and language therapy student. However, regarding where you will have the best memories and 2 years of your life as a student, I would say Manchester Met personally. Obviously different people look for different things as a student. For me, I was looking for amazing societies, beautiful accommodation, attentive lecturers and some brilliant night life. So I came to Manchester Met, as it excels in these areas! Manchester is a city area and the campus is places around the city. This is gives amazing experiences for placement as the city is well connected and has lots of people, who run lots of different companies and use cyber security, so provide the perfect experience for you to explore the workings of cyber security in everyday life.
Please feel free to ask with any other questions

Best wishes
Emily
Hey thank you for ur kind response, I just want to know another thing is what kind of network does have with industries and companies, I mean does there are valuable opportunities while doing MSc cyber security in uni of Salford with companies, I just want to know do we have support from uni of Salford side to find a placement or a job opportunity, what kind of network connection does have in there, any support and placement workshops are there?

Hi!

We have a few different connections both locally and globally, depending on what you're interested in. If you're more interested in the security consulting side of things we have connections with KPMG, or if you're more interested in software roles we work with companies like Web Applications UK. The degree itself is also accredited buy BCS, which gets you on your way to professional membership.

In terms of support for finding roles, you'll have both support from our academic colleagues who are actively working within industry as researchers, but also from our Careers team who offer a careers service for life. They can take a look with you for specific roles, work on CV and interview skills and give advice and guidance on applications :biggrin: We also have dedicated placement teams within each of our schools who can work with students to find placements that match what they're looking for!

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any queries :biggrin:
All the best,
Becky
University of Salford Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending