The Student Room Group

Will i be able to study cyber security without the preferred entry requirements

Hi,
I’m currently studying Psych, Socio and Geog at my sixth form, i’ve signed up to do an EPQ in year 13 and i also play sports as extracurricular. Right now i’m predicted a CCB. I don’t really enjoy the subjects i’m doing so i haven’t been applying myself as much as i could be but plan on working harder to improve my grades. Recently i’ve been looking into studying cyber security at university however i have no experience in that field. I didn’t do computer science at GCSE. I wanted to know if it would be possible for me to get onto a university course in that field? Also if i were to complete an online course such as google’s IT course or compTIA A+ would that be beneficial for my application?
Reply 1
Original post by rubiangozai12
Hi,
I’m currently studying Psych, Socio and Geog at my sixth form, i’ve signed up to do an EPQ in year 13 and i also play sports as extracurricular. Right now i’m predicted a CCB. I don’t really enjoy the subjects i’m doing so i haven’t been applying myself as much as i could be but plan on working harder to improve my grades. Recently i’ve been looking into studying cyber security at university however i have no experience in that field. I didn’t do computer science at GCSE. I wanted to know if it would be possible for me to get onto a university course in that field? Also if i were to complete an online course such as google’s IT course or compTIA A+ would that be beneficial for my application?

You have picked the easy subjects for A-Level with no STEM. I would suggest that, unless you have an unmentioned ability to code, understand packet sniffing, SSL etc you may be barking up the wrong career tree here. That said there are a load of Management jobs out there for those with lower skill levels.

I would not bother with the University route for Cyber Sec in your case as you will probably struggle with the course content
- depending ion institution they could start cracking out JAVA Corba examples or contain encryption encryption level maths. Look at it this way, you are not building the software to run a sec dept, you are operating its and generating policy docs. Do the courses specific to the industry you are targeting, get working right away. If you want something similarly complex and even easier to get into - do your Salesforce certs and break into Client Data
Original post by rubiangozai12
Hi,

Honestly you don't NEED a degree for cybersecurity, or even tech in general. If you don't have the required grades for a good course/uni, you could always go down the certification route - get an entry level IT help-desk job or something and study for a couple courses at the same time (e.g. CompTIA Network+ and Security+). Once you've got the certs you've got the technical knowledge and some skills, get more hands-on skills through platforms such as TryHackMe and play around with labs. Put everything on your CV. Try to get promoted within your company from your help-desk role or apply for entry level cyber security roles elsewhere, it will take some time but don't get disappointed, just keep trying and within a couple months you should find something (expect not to work a typical 9-5/to work night shifts though). This is pretty much what I did (with a couple differences) since sixth form didn't go so well for me and I had never studied Computer Science nor did I have any coding abilities - and now I have my first job as a Cyber Security Analyst for a large reputable company, starting at the end of this month (and I'm just 19 btw). Good luck!
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by johnnotts
You have picked the easy subjects for A-Level with no STEM. I would suggest that, unless you have an unmentioned ability to code, understand packet sniffing, SSL etc you may be barking up the wrong career tree here. That said there are a load of Management jobs out there for those with lower skill levels.

I would not bother with the University route for Cyber Sec in your case as you will probably struggle with the course content
- depending ion institution they could start cracking out JAVA Corba examples or contain encryption encryption level maths. Look at it this way, you are not building the software to run a sec dept, you are operating its and generating policy docs. Do the courses specific to the industry you are targeting, get working right away. If you want something similarly complex and even easier to get into - do your Salesforce certs and break into Client Data

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by spill_the_tea
Honestly you don't NEED a degree for cybersecurity, or even tech in general. If you don't have the required grades for a good course/uni, you could always go down the certification route - get an entry level IT help-desk job or something and study for a couple courses at the same time (e.g. CompTIA Network+ and Security+). Once you've got the certs you've got the technical knowledge and some skills, get more hands-on skills through platforms such as TryHackMe and play around with labs. Put everything on your CV. Try to get promoted within your company from your help-desk role or apply for entry level cyber security roles elsewhere, it will take some time but don't get disappointed, just keep trying and within a couple months you should find something (expect not to work a typical 9-5/to work night shifts though). This is pretty much what I did (with a couple differences) since sixth form didn't go so well for me and I had never studied Computer Science nor did I have any coding abilities - and now I have my first job as a Cyber Security Analyst for a large reputable company, starting at the end of this month (and I'm just 19 btw). Good luck!

Thank you, I really appreciate this 🙏🏿
Reply 5
depends what university you want to get into, most universities just need 3 grades alevel from what i can see, and maths GCSE.
Reply 6
Certainly! Passion and dedication can often compensate for formal entry requirements in cybersecurity studies. There's a wealth of online resources, courses, and certifications available that cater to various expertise levels. Start with fundamental concepts, gradually delving deeper as your understanding improves. Networking with professionals and participating in online forums or communities at https://juicyscore.ai/en/juicyscore can also be immensely beneficial.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending