The Student Room Group

Best distance learning college for A levels

Hi all,

I am 28 and exploring the option of taking A levels in Maths, Physics and Economics or Computer Science so I can go to uni and study General Engineering/Cyber Security.

I am currently self-employed and fed up with my earnings, lack of career options and life plan. My ambition at sixth form was to go to Cambridge and do engineering then I got glandular fever and MECFS and was too ill to do anything for several years.

Thanks to private (non-NHS treatment) through Breakspear Medical I have fully recovered and left a mouldy damp house causing my illness and am now ready to apply myself to life again!

It is a great shame I have wasted 10 years of my life to chronic illness however I am pleased I have recovered, unlike some people who can't afford private investigations and treatment.

Since recovering I have completed a cyber security bootcamp CAPSLOCK which I highly recommend however it is in no way as rigorous as a university degree but equivalent to a Masters programme and looking for decent jobs. But I know that without a degree I will reach a plateau in my career progression, hence exploring further education.

So what is the best A-level college to study with? Are the learning materials all online and do any have live lessons?

Thanks in advance!
Oxbridge home learning is good, quick feedback but rather expensive and no live lessons
Reply 2
Hi,

In the past I have used CloudLearn and they are excellent. If you are interested, I’m selling access to my A-Level Maths course from CloudLearn because I no longer need the qualification for University and I can no longer get a refund. I haven’t used any of the course materials so the course is untouched and ready to be studied. If you’re interested let me know! :smile:
Did you finish your A levels back when you fell ill? If not you might qualify for government paid education at level 3 - meaning that you might have a local FE college that offers A levels and would take you. Would be two years and full-time.
Hi Ingeniumlabs,

It's great to hear that you are considering a return to formal education. As you are interested in Cyber Security, you might be interested in our MSc in Cyber Security and Digital Forensics at the University of Huddersfield. This course is provisionally certified by the National Cyber Security Centre and is available to study part-time via distance learning, which means you can fit your studies around your current commitments.

Whilst you do not have A Levels or a degree, the entry requirements for this course do take into account other qualifications and/or experience that demonstrate knowledge and skills at Honours degree level, as well as relevant industry experience.

You can find out more here, and contact our enquiries team with any questions about entry requirements or the course: https://hud.ac.uk/inspire/masters-computer-science-distance-learning/

Good luck with your course search.

Best wishes,

Elliot
Marketing Officer (Distance Learning)

University of Huddersfield

Original post by ingeniumlabs
Hi all,

I am 28 and exploring the option of taking A levels in Maths, Physics and Economics or Computer Science so I can go to uni and study General Engineering/Cyber Security.

I am currently self-employed and fed up with my earnings, lack of career options and life plan. My ambition at sixth form was to go to Cambridge and do engineering then I got glandular fever and MECFS and was too ill to do anything for several years.

Thanks to private (non-NHS treatment) through Breakspear Medical I have fully recovered and left a mouldy damp house causing my illness and am now ready to apply myself to life again!

It is a great shame I have wasted 10 years of my life to chronic illness however I am pleased I have recovered, unlike some people who can't afford private investigations and treatment.

Since recovering I have completed a cyber security bootcamp CAPSLOCK which I highly recommend however it is in no way as rigorous as a university degree but equivalent to a Masters programme and looking for decent jobs. But I know that without a degree I will reach a plateau in my career progression, hence exploring further education.

So what is the best A-level college to study with? Are the learning materials all online and do any have live lessons?

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest