The Student Room Group

PPE Applicants 2019

Hi all, introduce yourself and tell us where you're applying!

University choices:
What subject(s) are currently studying?:
Predicted A2 grades:
AS grades:
GCSE grades:
Why PPE?:
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i got A*AA in Latin maths religious studies with A* in maths, would I be a competitive applicant for PPE at UCL? How much does it depend on personal statement?
Original post by bic_
i got A*AA in Latin maths religious studies with A* in maths, would I be a competitive applicant for PPE at UCL? How much does it depend on personal statement?

Hard to say based on grades alone but if you can write a great personal statement (see here for tips), then yeah I think you have a good shot.
Reply 3
I am applying for a PPE degree at Exeter, Manchester, York and Warwick. I don't know what to have as my 5th choice.

Originally it was Oxford but I then went there for a visit, and decided I couldn't see myself living there. Also I'm too dumb lmao. I also don't want to apply to any London Unis as I don't want to have high living costs.

I really wanted to apply to St Andrews or Edinburgh but they both don't do PPE.

What should my fifth choice be?
I went for a talk at St Andrews where they were discussing degree options.

You could apply for a joint degree in say International Relations and Philosophy. You then pick a third subject (Economics) to take in first year and are timetabled equally between the three subjects in first year. You can swap onto a different joint honours courses from the one you originally picked at any point in the first year. In second year you switch to whatever your degree choice is but you may also be able to continue with options, I’m not so sure on this.

NB INternational Relations is by far the most popular subject, so they advised picking this as a single honours or part of a joint honours as you would be unlikely to get it as the third subject.

Please do your own research and check this out though.
Original post by Maaaths
I am applying for a PPE degree at Exeter, Manchester, York and Warwick. I don't know what to have as my 5th choice.

Originally it was Oxford but I then went there for a visit, and decided I couldn't see myself living there. Also I'm too dumb lmao. I also don't want to apply to any London Unis as I don't want to have high living costs.

I really wanted to apply to St Andrews or Edinburgh but they both don't do PPE.

What should my fifth choice be?

Durham offers PPE and is generally regarded to be fairly excellent overall. Otherwise you might want to look at some joint honours courses in just 2/3 of the subjects, and then taking external options in the third as possible - at Scots universities in particular you can probably be fairly "tripartite" in the first year or two. As suggested above though, you may find that in general the Economics and Politics departments are the more subscribed ones, and you may be less able to take options in those from another course. Thus, you might want to focus more on the Politics & Economics (or similarly IR & Economics) combination and look to take modules in Philosophy on such a course. Outside of Scots unis for the Politics & Economics combination you might want to consider Bristol or Bath, which are also very strong options.
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Durham offers PPE and is generally regarded to be fairly excellent overall. Otherwise you might want to look at some joint honours courses in just 2/3 of the subjects, and then taking external options in the third as possible - at Scots universities in particular you can probably be fairly "tripartite" in the first year or two. As suggested above though, you may find that in general the Economics and Politics departments are the more subscribed ones, and you may be less able to take options in those from another course. Thus, you might want to focus more on the Politics & Economics (or similarly IR & Economics) combination and look to take modules in Philosophy on such a course. Outside of Scots unis for the Politics & Economics combination you might want to consider Bristol or Bath, which are also very strong options.

Original post by Yoshi123456
I went for a talk at St Andrews where they were discussing degree options.

You could apply for a joint degree in say International Relations and Philosophy. You then pick a third subject (Economics) to take in first year and are timetabled equally between the three subjects in first year. You can swap onto a different joint honours courses from the one you originally picked at any point in the first year. In second year you switch to whatever your degree choice is but you may also be able to continue with options, I’m not so sure on this.

NB INternational Relations is by far the most popular subject, so they advised picking this as a single honours or part of a joint honours as you would be unlikely to get it as the third subject.

Please do your own research and check this out though.

Thank you both for this insight, I may just do Economics and Philosophy, and then do Politics modules alongside it. I do have another question about the scottish unis; do the 4 year degrees equate to a Masters, or do they equate to a normal Bachelors degree?
Original post by Maaaths
Thank you both for this insight, I may just do Economics and Philosophy, and then do Politics modules alongside it. I do have another question about the scottish unis; do the 4 year degrees equate to a Masters, or do they equate to a normal Bachelors degree?

My understanding is it's 4 years for the bachelors, and their "undergraduate masters" type courses (e.g. MPhys, or sometimes BSc there as well, due to old-timey naming conventions used by "ancient" universities) are 5 years long.

However they often have second year entry options for those who have done A-levels or Advanced Highers (Scottish qualifications) to a high level, which would make the degree three years long.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
How rude of me, I haven't introduced myself sorry!

University choices: Exeter, Manchester, York, Warwick, (TBD)
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Maths, Economics, Philosophy&Ethics
Predicted A2 grades: AAB (So bad!!!)
AS grades: B in Economics and C in Maths (didn't do an AS in P&E)
GCSE grades: One 9, Two 7's, One A*, Six A's, Two B's
Why PPE?: I love how the combination of all three subjects essentially rule human beings, whether we are aware of it or not. The world could definitely be more harmonious if it took the time to understand the relationship between these three subjects.
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself: I'm learning to skateboard!
I’m Scottish....... MA (in Scottish universities) is like a BA, whereas MLITT is like a MA (English)

Most students don’t start in second year for social reasons though. Some Scottish universities don’t charge fees to English students for the fourth year of a MA.

The reason why the undergrad degrees are a year longer is that Scottish students have a year less schooling and go to university earlier. Some students will be only 16 but the majority have just turned 18.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10

I'm applying to study Philosophy, Politics & Economics in a few months and I'm currently writing my personal statement. I have a recent interest in the genocide in Rwanda (after going to a lecture on it) and the court system of 'Gacaca' they used (transitional and restorative justice etc.) and I'm unsure as to how to link it to the PPE course or a specific aspect of the course and write about it in my PS. Any ideas?

Thank you

University choices: Oxford, KCL, Warwick, Nottingham, Reading
What subject(s) are currently studying?: History, English Literature, Politics
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A*
AS grades: N/A but did Maths to first year
GCSE grades: 10A*
Why PPE?: I have always been interested in politics, and more recently, philosophy and economics. I think these subjects go very well together.
Tell us an interesting fact about yourself: I am a member of the Labour Party :biggrin:

Is anyone else here applying w/out Maths A level?
University choices: Oxford, Warwick, LSE, Durham, Leeds
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Maths, Economics, History, Art
Predicted A2 grades: A*, A*, A/B, A
GCSE grades: 9, 9, 9, A*, A*, A*, A* ,A ,A ,A ,A ,B (7 x A*, 4 x A, 1 x B)
Why PPE?: Very interested in how our world works, also interested in the human condition and want to be able to examine that with a societal focus.

Q: Anyone else applying for Oxford with similar grades? Are they enough? Also thinking of dropping History (predicted A/B) do you think it would hurt or help my application?
University choices: Warwick, Nottingham, Leeds, Exeter, Lancaster
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Economics, Maths, Physics
Predicted A2 grades: A*, A, A
AS grades: A in EPQ
GCSE grades: Two 9s, One 8, Three A*, Three A, One B
Why PPE?: Think it will be a very interesting degree and keep my options open in terms of jobs

Q: Can of you recommend any good books that you think are interesting and relevant to the course?
Original post by hokremer
University choices: Warwick, Nottingham, Leeds, Exeter, Lancaster
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Economics, Maths, Physics
Predicted A2 grades: A*, A, A
AS grades: A in EPQ
GCSE grades: Two 9s, One 8, Three A*, Three A, One B
Why PPE?: Think it will be a very interesting degree and keep my options open in terms of jobs

Q: Can of you recommend any good books that you think are interesting and relevant to the course?

No Oxford?
Original post by JMR2018
No Oxford?

I was planning to apply for Oxford until pretty recently but on visiting it I couldn’t really picture myself there. Plus I’m not confident I would score a place since my personal statement isn’t incredible and my subjects are quite maths based whereas my impression is Oxford prefers essay subjects to an extent like History or Politics etc.
Original post by hokremer
I was planning to apply for Oxford until pretty recently but on visiting it I couldn’t really picture myself there. Plus I’m not confident I would score a place since my personal statement isn’t incredible and my subjects are quite maths based whereas my impression is Oxford prefers essay subjects to an extent like History or Politics etc.

You’re subjects are ok, I’ve got the opposite probelem where I have no maths based subjects 😂
But if it’s not for you then fair enough- good luck!
Original post by JMR2018
You’re subjects are ok, I’ve got the opposite probelem where I have no maths based subjects 😂
But if it’s not for you then fair enough- good luck!

Cheers mate - same to you
What subject(s) are currently studying?:
Economics, Politics, Maths and EPQ (not a aubject i know)Predicted A2 grades:
A*A*AAAS grades:
AAAGCSE grades:
8 A* A* A* 7 7 A A BWhy PPE?:
I have always been interested in politics, I became even more fascinated when I realised the strong parallels the three disciplines draw together.Tell us an interesting fact about yourself:
Hmmmm im pretty boring
University choices: Oxford, LSE, Durham, Kings, Manchester
What subject(s) are currently studying?: Maths, Economics, Psychology
Predicted A2 grades: A*A*A*
AS grades: N/A
GCSE grades: 2 9's 4A*'s 3A's 1B

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending