The Student Room Group

Only girl in my a level physics- advice

I take a level physics and chemistry (and philosophy and ethics) but I’m the only girl in physics and chemistry, when I first started I thought of dropping the subjects because there’s no one I’m ‘good’ friends with in there and I’m on my own. All 4 of my chemistry and physics teachers favour me because I’m the only girl and they always give me extra help, is this because they think I’m unable to get a good grade ??!
Anyone else the only girl ? Any advice ?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Not really a case of being the 'only girl' since I'm not a girl xD (Sorry about the connotations, I just didn't know how to reference it, etc)

Advice wise, though, I fit into the category of not knowing anyone and such. Never really did and I still don't. So I went at it alone.

Trust me, it'll work out fine as long as you can keep up with the content. You'll probably make some friends too, though I wouldn't know there; help-wise from your teachers, they probably offer extra help because they understand your situation. If they notice that you're alone and don't really get along/talk to other folks as much as other folks might talk to each other, then you'd expect them to offer a little more help that you might otherwise get from other students. It's not a matter of them thinking you necessarily need it, but I'd see it as them trying to make sure to stay open to conversation on the subject and to keep you talkative about it.

That's my two cents, at least.
Reply 2
Original post by Callicious
Not really a case of being the 'only girl' since I'm not a girl xD (Sorry about the connotations, I just didn't know how to reference it, etc)

Advice wise, though, I fit into the category of not knowing anyone and such. Never really did and I still don't. So I went at it alone.

Trust me, it'll work out fine as long as you can keep up with the content. You'll probably make some friends too, though I wouldn't know there; help-wise from your teachers, they probably offer extra help because they understand your situation. If they notice that you're alone and don't really get along/talk to other folks as much as other folks might talk to each other, then you'd expect them to offer a little more help that you might otherwise get from other students. It's not a matter of them thinking you necessarily need it, but I'd see it as them trying to make sure to stay open to conversation on the subject and to keep you talkative about it.

That's my two cents, at least.

Thank you for the advice :smile:
To be honest, you're doing A Levels to get A Levels, not to spend time with your friends. There's plenty of time to see your friends during the college day - and without meaning to sound harsh, you're not going to know anyone when you go to uni either. You can't make decisions that could affect your whole life (depending on what you want to do for a job obviously) just because you don't know anyone in your class.

When I got to sixth form I'd been told I was the only one who had signed up for A Level music, so I was given 1-on-1 tuition for two years. That was hugely daunting and I wanted to drop it the whole time I was there, but music was what I wanted to do, so I stuck to it.
pg
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Becky_x56
I take a level physics and chemistry (and philosophy and ethics) but I’m the only girl in physics and chemistry, when I first started I thought of dropping the subjects because there’s no one I’m ‘good’ friends with in there and I’m on my own. All 4 of my chemistry and physics teachers favour me because I’m the only girl and they always give me extra help, is this because they think I’m unable to get a good grade ??!

I am literally in the exact same situation! Only girl in physics and only girl in chemistry, I completely get your situation as it’s kind of tough having no one to talk to in lessons. And omg I get extra help too when I don’t really need it, for example when a teacher is going through something in class every single time they turn to ask me specifically if I understand or if I need any help, it drives me mad I am made to feel really stupid in those classes when in reality I am doing just as well as everyone else in my classes.
To be honest, I don’t think there’s a lot you can do, the only way I get through it is by working super hard and proving my teachers wrong with good grades 😂
Hopefully as time goes on our teachers will start treating us as equals.
Reply 6
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
To be honest, you're doing A Levels to get A Levels, not to spend time with your friends. There's plenty of time to see your friends during the college day - and without meaning to sound harsh, you're not going to know anyone when you go to uni either. You can't make decisions that could affect your whole life (depending on what you want to do for a job obviously) just because you don't know anyone in your class.

When I got to sixth form I'd been told I was the only one who had signed up for A Level music, so I was given 1-on-1 tuition for two years. That was hugely daunting and I wanted to drop it the whole time I was there, but music was what I wanted to do, so I stuck to it.

Yeah I got It but all my friends in sixth form all do the same subjects so there all together all day and I’m never with them and I’m not saying I want there to be someone in my class that’s my mate because I’m not there just spend the day talkijg but it would be nice to be able to sit with them or do hw together.
Reply 7
Original post by jsjsjsjs333
In the same position as you, with the same subjects. Completely relate, and completely want to drop both subjects.

Also I hate how the teachers give me extra attention because I’m the only girl. They see me differently and want to make sure I’m alright all the time. Like it’s nice they care so much but I want to struggle along with the rest of my class
Reply 8
Original post by Icykitten
I am literally in the exact same situation! Only girl in physics and only girl in chemistry, I completely get your situation as it’s kind of tough having no one to talk to in lessons. And omg I get extra help too when I don’t really need it, for example when a teacher is going through something in class every single time they turn to ask me specifically if I understand or if I need any help, it drives me mad I am made to feel really stupid in those classes when in reality I am doing just as well as everyone else in my classes.
To be honest, I don’t think there’s a lot you can do, the only way I get through it is by working super hard and proving my teachers wrong with good grades 😂
Hopefully as time goes on our teachers will start treating us as equals.

Omg literally same like when going through a question they always go “Becky do you understand?” And I’m like yeah and it’s every time, like my teachers are absolutely amazing and so caring but if I need help I’ll ask for it. Although There are some things I don’t understand fully but that’s because I dint take maths where everyone else in my class does so I guess my teachers understand that and try to give me extra help in those sections for that reason.
Omg literally same like when going through a question they always go “Becky do you understand?” And I’m like yeah and it’s every time, like my teachers are absolutely amazing and so caring but if I need help I’ll ask for it. Although There are some things I don’t understand fully but that’s because I dint take maths where everyone else in my class does so I guess my teachers understand that and try to give me extra help in those sections for that reason.

Yeah, exactly. I actually didn’t take maths either but neither did quite a few in my physics class. I think the teachers just feel sympathy for us because we are the only girl in our class so they feel like they have to give us special treatment. I find it really embarrassing sometimes because my teachers literally never ask anyone else if they are struggling it’s just me. And my teachers are also very caring and kind and I have known most of them for 4 years as I had them for GCSE so they know me really well and I don’t want to hate on them but it still annoys me that they can’t give me any independence in lessons.
Reply 10
Yeah, exactly. I actually didn’t take maths either but neither did quite a few in my physics class. I think the teachers just feel sympathy for us because we are the only girl in our class so they feel like they have to give us special treatment. I find it really embarrassing sometimes because my teachers literally never ask anyone else if they are struggling it’s just me. And my teachers are also very caring and kind and I have known most of them for 4 years as I had them for GCSE so they know me really well and I don’t want to hate on them but it still annoys me that they can’t give me any independence in lessons.

Yeah same like my teachers are amazing and I had them for gcse. But also when a teacher comes in during our lesson and they see I’m the only girl there like well done because I do physics and that like they act surprised there’s a girl. But I’m not complaining I get extra help like I kinda quite like the attention 🤣
Yeah same like my teachers are amazing and I had them for gcse. But also when a teacher comes in during our lesson and they see I’m the only girl there like well done because I do physics and that like they act surprised there’s a girl. But I’m not complaining I get extra help like I kinda quite like the attention 🤣

I don’t get much attention from people outside of the lessons, no other teachers really walk into our lessons, although when visitors come to look around I’ve gotten a few amused looks from them being the only girl in physics 😂 I think it’s kind of funny most days, the main problem is having no one to talk to in the lessons, I do have a few people in my classes who I get along with but it still feels awkward sometimes 😂
Reply 12
I don’t get much attention from people outside of the lessons, no other teachers really walk into our lessons, although when visitors come to look around I’ve gotten a few amused looks from them being the only girl in physics 😂 I think it’s kind of funny most days, the main problem is having no one to talk to in the lessons, I do have a few people in my classes who I get along with but it still feels awkward sometimes 😂

Yeah same here like I do talk to people in there but I don’t sit with them or anything I only talk to them when we’re doing a practical or working in groups or somthing. There’s only 6 people who do physics anyway so I quite a small class

May the Forces be with you

:vader:

:hoppy:
Yeah same here like I do talk to people in there but I don’t sit with them or anything I only talk to them when we’re doing a practical or working in groups or somthing. There’s only 6 people who do physics anyway so I quite a small class

In my physics there are 8 of us so pretty small as well. My chemistry is even smaller, there are only 5 of us 😂 It’s quite nice though having small classes.
Original post by the bear

May the Forces be with you

:vader:

:hoppy:

Oh bear :rolleyes:

I feel like you're going to cause friction soon :mmm:

As has been said above, you don't have chemistry and physics lessons all day everyday so you don't need to chat with friends during those lessons as you can the rest of the time.
Think of it in a positive way in that you won't get distracted whilst studying for arguably the two hardest A levels.

I can however see your frustrations with the teacher always asking you specifically if you understand - but once again there is a positive side in that it does mean if you ever don't understand something you will be able to get good support so that you can...
Also I hate how the teachers give me extra attention because I’m the only girl. They see me differently and want to make sure I’m alright all the time. Like it’s nice they care so much but I want to struggle along with the rest of my class

I can almost guarantee it's not because they don't think you can handle it, Its almost certainly that they want to encourage more woman into STEM and it is fairly male dominated sadly and they see you having an interest in the subjects and don't want you discouraged just because you are the only girl.
not a big deal, was only one in one of my chemistry and one of two in physics, dont make it a gender issue, if you look like you need help the teacher is likely to help you.

good luck with everything
im the only girl in electronics alevel but i am not really bothered about it cause i just wan my alevels over and done with. I am kind close with a boy so thats good when we do practicals
So you want to be treated as equals but define yourselves primarily through your 'otherness.' You're scientists, pupils etc. You should have developed the maturity by now to be able to talk to your classmates on equal terms, and to develop platonic friendships.

Quick Reply

Latest