The Student Room Group

EPQ advice plz

im in year 12 and im taking EPQ my question is 'to what extent has the character and physical representation of disney princesses negatively affected muslim girls aged 6-10?'
if anyone has taken this in the past or is taking it im open to advice because i really wanna get an A and im interested in the process and what gets good/bad grades
ty x
Reply 1
my only advice with this is it might be TOO specific, a large part of EPQ is research and your question needs to have some pre-done similar/accessible literature which you analyse and draw conclusions in your report, any questions feel free to ask
Original post by Mari_07
im in year 12 and im taking EPQ my question is 'to what extent has the character and physical representation of disney princesses negatively affected muslim girls aged 6-10?'
if anyone has taken this in the past or is taking it im open to advice because i really wanna get an A and im interested in the process and what gets good/bad grades
ty x
Hey got an A* last year for EPQ and I think you should definitely stick to the to what extent template (allows you to argue both sides + form your own conclusion). However, I've got to agree with diaeve. Your question is specific which is good when it comes to your project proposal but it is soo niche to the point where you might not get to showcase a range of sources (secondary that is) and I'm really concerned how you will pen a 5000+ word essay surrounding such a topic. Will you have to rely on primary research? Has your supervisor approved this topic? Do you have enough material to help educate yourself on this topic and present a well thought out conclusion? A lot of people at my school did EPQs on representation (more so on the impact of social media) and have gotten As.

My advice for the EPQ itself:

Write everything down.

Keep a well tabled research diary (link, access date, CRAAP test)

Show organization skills (GANTT chart)

Show effort (reflect on any change, skills you learn, challenges, strengths and weaknesses = of your project throughout and write this down in your production log).

Arguably your production log is more important than the essay/presentation itself = keep this in mind.

Reply 3
basically my epq suoervisor sed to make it rlly specific and they rlly liked my question and sed itd be good but i do see where you're coming from too
what was your epq question, if thats okay to ask plz?
Reply 4
Original post by diaeve
my only advice with this is it might be TOO specific, a large part of EPQ is research and your question needs to have some pre-done similar/accessible literature which you analyse and draw conclusions in your report, any questions feel free to ask
there has been quite a lot of lit and studies done on this though
what part dyu think is too specific?
tyx
Reply 5
Original post by Mari_07
there has been quite a lot of lit and studies done on this though
what part dyu think is too specific?
tyx

i can imagine theres literature on disney princess negatively affecting girls. but im not sure if there will be a lot specifically on muslim girls aged 6-10. if there is enough secondary literature, go for it. but if youre applying literature thats say disney princesses affecting white atheist girls 10-12, it makes your conclusions and analysis less valid as it doesnt directly link to your question hope this helps.
Original post by diaeve
i can imagine theres literature on disney princess negatively affecting girls. but im not sure if there will be a lot specifically on muslim girls aged 6-10. if there is enough secondary literature, go for it. but if youre applying literature thats say disney princesses affecting white atheist girls 10-12, it makes your conclusions and analysis less valid as it doesnt directly link to your question hope this helps.

yep ive changed it to just 'girls'
Useful short free online courses about How to Complete an EPQ from Bath Uni - How to do an EPQ - Online Course (futurelearn.com) and from Southampton - Developing Your Research Project - Online Course - FutureLearn

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending