The Student Room Group

Forced to drop an a level

I got all Bs except one C in my AS levels and now I'm being forced to drop one of my subjects for A2. Apparently you can only keep all four if you get straight As. I think this is unfair?

edit: Guys, the thing is, the subject I got a C in is psychology and the subject I thought I'd get a D in, I got a B. I don't wanna drop any of them because my goal isn't to get good grades or anything like that. I just like studying. Do you think if I keep insisting I keep all four, they'll let me?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by MoriMori
I got all Bs except one C in my AS levels and now I'm being forced to drop one of my subjects for A2. Apparently you can only keep all four if you get straight As. I think this is unfair?

You might think it unfair, but the majority of cases taking four A levels is pointless anyway. If the grades are going to be Bs and Cs anyway than its absolutely pointless.

Dropping that C subject will allow you to focus more on the B subjects and hopefully get one or two of them up to an A. An AAB profile is far better than a BBBC profile, despite being fewer UCAS points.
Original post by MoriMori

It is not unfair. The school is preparing you to get better grades in 3 A Levels, than instead of 4 worser grades. The pressure of year 13 is far greater than year 12. Besides, universities have minimum requirements of ABB, AAB… The only reason you would be allowed to continue 4 A Levels, if you were going to get all A/B grades
Reply 3
What are your subjects? Agree with the advice above - better to do 3 subjects well.
Definitely focus on 3. Universities look for quality not quantity. Your school are correct
Original post by totallyfine
Definitely focus on 3. Universities look for quality not quantity. Your school are correct

In my school, I remember in our January mocks in year 13, a girl in my class got an E, close to an U in chemistry… she was forced to drop it for AS core maths. The school decided she would do better learning an AS in 4 months than to continue A Level chemistry… they were correct. As we than did the more difficult physical chemistry as we finished organic. Everyone in our class struggled but we got there in the end.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest