The Student Room Group

BDO Graduate applicants-2019

Has anyone been invited for a video interview??
if so what role and does anyone know the questions?
Were you successful? how was the assessment day?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lnka2

Have you sat for the SST test? How did you find it? :smile:

Did it comprise of Situational Judgement, Numerical and Verbal or?
Original post by lnka2

Hey!

Just a word of warning, we've seen a lot of candidates recently who have prepared answers having been given the wrong questions. Take caution and consider how you’ll react if you go into the interview with your answers rehearsed only to be asked a different set! This could disadvantage you more than going into the interview having not prepared at all.

Remember, the employer is interested in your experience, the question is simply prompting you to uncover your experience that is relevant.

A much better approach might be to focus on core things that the employer is assessing such as the competencies or strengths. If you are unsure what these are then The Guardian UK 300 is a good starting as it tends to list these in profile for each employer.

Once you have an idea of what they are assessing you can develop an understanding of the behaviours the employer is looking for you to evidence by simply looking up definitions for those competencies or strengths.

Once you have this information, you can start to come up with examples of when you have demonstrated these behaviours so you can develop an answer using the STAR technique.

If you would like any more information on how the process works, just shout, we provide the video interview technology to a lot of employers.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

................................................................................................ .
Shortlist.Me is a platform where you can prepare, practice and improve your interview skills to get ahead of your competition. We’re interviewing experts and here to help you, so ask away!
Original post by lnka2

Hey there

I've recently researched on YouTube and found Alex Gorasov's video on applying for Shell pretty useful. Apparently he's a recent graduate and the 2 videos he posted are quite helpful to be honest. At least you get a good understanding of what's it like, the application process, and the life at Shell. I assume it is fairly similar for the other major companies too..

Hope this is useful
Reply 4
Original post by sarah_145
Have you sat for the SST test? How did you find it? :smile:

Did it comprise of Situational Judgement, Numerical and Verbal or?

They were ok,
its SJT, Numerical and critical reasoning,
Critical reasoning is a little tricky, I advise taking time to read the question and also the answer may not be in the question but may just logic and still correct
Reply 5
Hi all
I remember how hard the process is and happy to help anyone that needs help with interview and ac prep.

I got an offer from the big 4 a few years back but will do my best to help.

To make things easier I use a separate number to help people as I don’t come on here much as I used to. Feel free to WhatsApp or txt me on 0742 9344 465.

All the best and good luck!
Anyone heard back regarding an assessment centre - particularly in Manchester?
Reply 7
Anyone heard back from the Ac in london?
Reply 8
Anyone able to give any tips for the video interview?
Original post by Hatayy

Just make sure you're engaged! Actually be interested and happy when you speak!
Original post by Hatayy

Hey Hatayy,

We supply the software to conduct video interviews, so we can definitely help you get prepared.

Most companies will ask you competency based questions (i.e. how you do something) with a much smaller number asking strengths-based questions (i.e. what engages and interests you). These approaches are very different, so be sure to clarify which one will be used for your interview. Whichever type of questions they asked, the hiring company will be looking to establish whether you can do the job to the required standard while fitting into the existing culture.

Most will be open questions. They usually consist of one part but some may digress to find out a little bit more about you. Nearly all the interview questions will be very straightforward, with no trick questions. Don’t be surprised if you are initially asked an icebreaker question. This is intended to ease you into the process and make you feel more comfortable.

Typically, you will have between 1.5 and 2 minutes to respond to a question. Hiring companies tend to give you more time than you need. They won’t be evaluating you on how long your answer is, so don’t think that you need to fill every second of the allocated time. If you finish your answer and still have time remaining, simply press the option to move on to the next question. There is no need to wait until the end of the allotted time.

If you want to familiarise yourself with the process, you can trial one question at https://shortlist.me/ After the free question you would need to upgrade to continue, but it might help you understand how it works at least

Hope this helps and good luck! If you have any more questions just shout.

................................ ................................ ................................ .
Shortlist.Me is a platform where you can prepare, practice and improve your interview skills to get ahead of your competition. We’re interviewing experts and here to help you, so ask away!
Just done my BDO online tests - and got invited to the Strength based interview!

I applied for the London Public Sector Assurance Scheme!

Does anyone have any tips or advice for the interview stage?
Just done my BDO online tests - and got invited to the Strength based interview!

I applied for the London Public Sector Assurance Scheme!

Does anyone have any tips or advice for the interview stage?

Hey - I was told I passed my vid interview and now waiting to be told if I've made it to an assessment centre.

My tip would be to really know what they expect of you from the role, the day to day, understand BDO and the business it conducts, its customers etc. Also try to look into the camera as you're speaking and smile! I'd recommend practicing the practice questions as many times as you can just to get the nerves and awkwardness of speaking into a camera out of the way. Good luck!
Original post by onetwothree0308
Hey - I was told I passed my vid interview and now waiting to be told if I've made it to an assessment centre.

My tip would be to really know what they expect of you from the role, the day to day, understand BDO and the business it conducts, its customers etc. Also try to look into the camera as you're speaking and smile! I'd recommend practicing the practice questions as many times as you can just to get the nerves and awkwardness of speaking into a camera out of the way. Good luck!

Congratulations!

I'll have my fingers crossed for you, for the assessment centre!! :smile: What role did you apply for?

Ah alright, thank you for the tips!
Also, what was the format like for the interview? I sat for the PWC video interview and was wondering if its similar?

- How many questions were there?
- How much time do you get to prepare for each question?
- How much time do you get to record yourself for each question?
- Can you record your answer again, if you mess up the first time?
- Are these questions more behavioural type questions or case study type questions?

And what do you mean by practice questions? Is this on the BDO interview link (resources - practice questions?)
Hi Guys, Just recevied this for BDO. How long did it take for you to get an AC invite?

"Thank you for your recent application to BDO and for completing our Video Interview.

Having reviewed your video interview, we are delighted to let you know that you have been successful. The next stage in the process is for your application to be reviewed and shortlisted to be invited to an assessment day."
Reply 15
Hi Guys, Just recevied this for BDO. How long did it take for you to get an AC invite?

"Thank you for your recent application to BDO and for completing our Video Interview.

Having reviewed your video interview, we are delighted to let you know that you have been successful. The next stage in the process is for your application to be reviewed and shortlisted to be invited to an assessment day."

It took about 4 weeks for me

It depends I think with the amount of people, I got invited in about a week.
Original post by meekmilling
It depends I think with the amount of people, I got invited in about a week.

I've just received the invitation this morning! My BDO AC is on the 29th January!

Could you give me an insight of how the AC day went and what it was like?
Original post by sabana
It took about 4 weeks for me

I've just received the invitation this morning! My BDO AC is on the 29th January!

The AC was actually really relaxed for me. Make friends with then it isn't a competition, in the waiting room we all chatted and got to know eachother and made the whole day more pleasant.
Be involved with the team, bring up ideas, think creatively and just bring it up and back it up with evidence.
Ask questions at the QnA
Interview just be you, bring up your examples. Be calm aan smile!
That's about it, just be a nice person, involved and smile.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending